1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CBS and ESPN both disagree, and those were just the first two I came across. Odds are, nearly half the list is compiled of players who are only second best on their own team.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I trust our scouts and draft evaluators to get the pick right if we keep it. Since I don’t think we got stars out of our top picks in the 21’ & 22’ drafts im all for taking another swing at the high lotto again. I’d probably be disappointed if we traded a top 4 or top 5 pick since there’s no guarantee Brooklyn's picks will be early lotto in subsequent years.

If Tari, Adams and Sengun come back healthy, Bari, Amen, and Cam take big steps, we convert Green and other assets into a high-level starting caliber player, and perhaps sign a good free agent….we don’t need to push in all of our chips and make some misguided move for an overpaid star like Tre Young. We just need to manage our assets effectively and continue improving.

managing our assets effectively doesn’t mean clinging to all the guys you drafted. It means setting aside your ego, making tough decisions, balancing patience with the need to solve obvious problems… like a shooting guard that can’t shoot.

#542 Aruba77, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    BHannes2BHonest and Corrosion like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

The ESPN one is from before the season. His production has declined in most categories since then.

I think having him in the 40-50 range is about right and if you're a little lower on him, right around #50 isn't unreasonable.

theDude likes this.
  4. Ancient Moabite

In hindsight before Ime gave KPJ his farewell HH hug (passing of the torch) at intro press conference the Rockets should have offered their best young guard 23 and under and all the Nets picks back for Bridges and could have used that 80+ mill on other pieces, or whatever is left once absorbing Bridges deal$

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Bridges value to a contender is really not the same as his value to a rebuilding team.

He's like OG Anunoby, he can elevate a pretender team to a contender team with his defense and shot creation as a 2nd or 3rd option. I bet Phoenix would rather have Bridges than Beals.

Anyone that would over bid on Bridges would be a someone already in the playoff race and desperate to contend. If I were the Rockets I wouldn't shell out for Bridges at his age, especially when he will probably ask for a crazy contract after this one.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think as long as Brooks goes out in the deal it’s an upgrade.

Amen and Tari are ace defenders. Jabari is getting there slowly. These 3 are locks to get minutes behind Bridges. I think Brooks would be the odd man out here and perhaps we can convert him into an extra first round pick to send to the Nets. Would definitely be interested in upgrading offensively without sacrificing any defense.

Ancient Moabite and MadMax94$ like this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lmao, I have my own purely stat-based player rankings from the BBallRef status and I have him ranked 51st haha.

I generally think he's top 60 but he has declined some, last year I think he was def top 40-50.

8. Ish

Ish Member

He's definitely been struggling hard last 15 games

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

topfive and theDude like this.
  10. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Centers- Embidd, Jokic, Towns, Sengun, AD, Wemby, Chet, Gobert , Jarret Allen,

PF- Zion, Sabonis, Bam, Randle, Banchero, Kd, Unicorn, Markkanen, Jaren Jackson Jr

Small Forwards- Lebron, Giannis, Tatum, Kawhi, Ingram, Anougby, Kuminga, Derozan, Wagner, Jaylin Williams

Shooting Guards- Paul George, Beal, Jaylen Brown, Mitchell, Booker, SGA, Kyrie, Murray, Bane, Lavine, Butler, Ant

Point Guards - , Luka, Steph, Halliburton, Ja, Maxey, Trae, Lillard, Maxey, Brunson, Fox, Lamelo, Harden

Edited. Didn’t math it right
    That’s 50 players right there.

#550 mac_got_this, Mar 15, 2024
    theDude likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

did you really just say that's 50 players right there and literally listed less than 50 players lol

you listed 25 and followed it with that's 50 players right there. Yikes

[​IMG]

mac_got_this likes this.
  12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You listed 25 players...

joshuaao and mac_got_this like this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yeah I had 50 but I didn’t list all of them them for being in a rush. I corrected the list. He’s still not top 50.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say, without hesitation, that he’s better than LaVine and Kuminga. I’d have to do a deeper dive on some of the others, and then it comes down to how you value certain positions, etc. He would be in the bottom portion, but Top 50 doesn’t seem like a stretch at all.

apollo33 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Kuminga has really come on this year. Probably most improved player if it wasn’t for Sengun or Hali

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

30 something games of coming on doesn't catapult you into being a top 50 player, especially when he's done next to nothing in the 2 years before

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a list of 50 players ahead of Mikal. I have him 51st.

1. Luka Dončić
    2. Nikola Jokić
    3. Joel Embiid
    4. Giannis Antetokounmpo
    5. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
    6. Jayson Tatum
    7. Kevin Durant
    8. Anthony Davis
    9. Donovan Mitchell
    10. LeBron James
    11. Domantas Sabonis
    12. Stephen Curry
    13. Kawhi Leonard
    14. Devin Booker
    15. Jalen Brunson
    16. Jimmy Butler
    17. Trae Young
    18. Tyrese Haliburton
    19. Kyrie Irving
    20. Anthony Edwards
    21. Damian Lillard
    22. Tyrese Maxey
    23. James Harden
    24. DeMar DeRozan
    25. De'Aaron Fox
    26. Karl-Anthony Towns
    27. Kristaps Porziņģis
    28. Zion Williamson
    29. Chet Holmgren
    30. Pascal Siakam
    31. Lauri Markkanen
    32. Ja Morant
    33. Julius Randle
    34. Desmond Bane
    35. Paul George
    36. Jarrett Allen
    37. Victor Wembanyama
    38. Jamal Murray
    39. Bam Adebayo
    40. Brandon Ingram
    41. Jaylen Brown
    42. Scottie Barnes
    43. LaMelo Ball
    44. Rudy Gobert
    45. Fred VanVleet
    46. Dejounte Murray
    47. Alperen Sengun
    48. Paolo Banchero
    49. CJ McCollum
    50. Jaren Jackson Jr.
    51. Mikal Bridges

#557 mfastx, Mar 15, 2024
  18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

He could very well have shutdown already. I mean wouldn’t you if you’re on the Nets.

That said, and I still like Bridges, I wouldn’t give all their picks for him.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

A very good player but not one you want to be paying max money to .....

Roster building and cap allocation are going to be real tight with this new CBA and prohibitive tax penalties.

I think it's going to make the cap space on bad teams very valuable again. Cap rental will be lucrative.

OremLK likes this.