1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody Ever Been to Spring Training?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ima_drummer2k, Feb 5, 2024.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Booked our trip over the weekend to West Palm Beach the 2nd week of March. We will catch the games on Saturday and Sunday. Both are "split squad" so fingers crossed we don't end up watching the AAA team.

Stadium looks amazing. We are literally 10 feet away from the Astros dugout.

Anybody ever been? Are the players as accessible as people say they are? I've heard they hang out with fans between BP and the game(s). I am.....er, uh....my kids are hoping to get as many pictures and autographs as we can!

Bregatron likes this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Never been but it's on my bucket list

I've played golf at St Andrews, going to Italy/Sicily in April and Astros ST will be at the top of the list after that

GOATuve and Rock Block like this.
  3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I went in 2017. The ballpark is nice and tiny. My kids were middle school/elementary school age and they could walk unsupervised around the small concourse and go sit in the grass bleachers. We could see them the whole time.

Pre game, lots of chances to get autographs. Cool watching MLBers hit in cages at insane short distances. We got a photo of kids w Springer, which we later mailed in and got back autographed. We had a connection for that, but the photo part was easy. I recall only Keuchel didn’t sign stuff.

old timers like biggie and Bagwell roamed around and signed some. Drew crowds of course.

4. toby

toby Member

We are headed there too . . . March 10th! Been a bucket list for my family - my grandfather will be there in spirit. Our 10 year old is beyond ecstatic. He's got the invite roster on the refrigerator and drawing lines through DFA, and adding signings . . . so fun! Hopefully will be an experience. We're seeing six games.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

FWIW: split squad games are the best bet you have to see the veterans. They usually stay home rather than take the bus ride.

And with fewer rookies/prospects they are more likely to play.

Of course most other teams are very close so maybe this doesn't apply as much any more.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I haven't been to WPB.

I grew up in Cocoa Florida area and saw dozens and dozens of games from late 70s until they moved to Kissimmee.

I saw a dozen or so total through mid 90s until I moved to Idaho in 97.

Only seen 1 since, and it was rained out in the 3rd inning (Spring rain in Florida is no joke and this is more common than any of us like). It was in 2012 and no chance to go back to Florida in the Spring since (just late summer trips every 5-6 years)

7. ima_drummer2k

Ah, this is what I was hoping for. Would make sense that the rookies would travel, not the vets!

IdStrosfan likes this.
  8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I went last year, only had time for one day. Get there earlier. Walk around to the smaller fields and your should see players working on things, standing around talking to each other. They break away to interact with a kid sometimes. Best to catch them walking between fields.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I went one year in Kissimmee to see Miguel Tejada in an Astros uniform. I wasn't too adventurous, so it wasn't too different than a regular season game except for the size of the stadiums and concession prices.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I went to Kissimmee one year as well. Before the game but after batting practice, the entire team strolled from the outfield gate to the dugout. Quite a few players stopped by stands near the dugout and signed programs and stuff. Most of the minor players with invites but no chance to make The Show that year would sign for the fans.

As an aside, I got to see Jarred Cosart warm up with another player. He went from 30' to 60' to 90' to 120' throwing. He was amazingly consistent even out past 120' feet (like the throw from home to second) hitting his target (center chest right above the letters). This is similar for me at least in seeing a pro golfer hit a 250' shot from the greens to 10' of the hole. It looks easy on TV, but proves damn hard when the club is in your hands ;)

11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I lived in Sebastian and went to a lot of games at Dodger Town near there. Especially when the Astros where playing the Dodgers . It was a great place to see a game. Sometimes I would buy a seat and sometimes I would sit on the berm behind the outfield fence under a palm tree. The history of the place was palpable.

ima_drummer2k and IdStrosfan like this.
  12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I heard your mother's been to spring training a few times if you catch my drift.

13. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

We have. It's pretty cool for your children to meet players. They're pretty accessible. Also, in the parking lot after the game they sign. Pictures are a tad more difficult there. We have a fan friendly team. My advice would be to have your children make a few signs for whoever their favorite players are

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not since they were in Kissimmee. I think it was 2004. Was in town for work and had time to catch the game that day before my flight. Ended up sitting 3rd row behind the Astros dugout. It was interesting how casual everything was while the game was happening. You could see and hear things happening on the back fields. It was a beautiful day and just an awesome experience being that close to Biggio, Bagwell, etc. Think I actually saw Pettitte pitch that day.

I'd think if those are split squad days, you're more likely to see the major league players since they don't seem to travel if they don't have to.

ima_drummer2k and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Spring training is great. Small stadiums, players are relaxed and more accessible, the weather is great, and the fans are true fans of the game -- not the casuals there to pound beers and sing No se va when Dubon comes up to bat. Take baseball cards for autographs, as well as a thin-point sharpie, baseballs to sign, and your glove to catch balls.

16. ima_drummer2k

Just got back from Spring Training late last night. Stopped in Gulf Shores AL for a few beach days on the way home.

GREATEST VACATION EVER

We went to 2 games over the weekend. My boys got pictures with and autographs from:
    1. Jose Altuve(!!!)
    2. Alex Bregman
    3. JP France
    4. Chaz McCormick
    5. Mauricio Dubon
    6. Hunter Brown
    7. Corey Julks
    8. Joe Espada
    9. Dusty Baker (he was there watching his son play for the Nats)
    All the players were great, but Dubon wins the prize for nicest guy on the team. He stayed 30 minutes after all the other players left and made sure to sign every single autograph requested. He told my boys he was seeing double when he talked to them (they're twins), shook their hands and posed for pictures with them. Later in the game, he popped his head up out of the dugout (we were right behind it), remembered them and waived at them. That guy is the real deal.

The players seem to LOVE Espada. He was out there hitting ground balls to the infielders and pitchers working on covering 1st base.

I'm pretty sure Pressly served one up for Mancini on Sunday, as he had a big smile on his face while Mancini was rounding the bases.

We sat behind the (very large) family of Luis Contreras on Sunday. They were all very nice and excited to see him pitch well. His wife told us they are moving to Houston after Spring Training. I hope he makes the team.

Already making plans to go back next year. This time for 4 games instead of just 2.

I'll post some pics next week.

17. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

That's awesome. Glad your family had a great time.

IBTL, ima_drummer2k and BlindHog like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

WORD