1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Agreed and This!
    I just can't understand how people can assume that Tank (whom I love) as a 5'9'' 165lb WR who had concussion and injury issues his rookie year is going to be AND remain healthy for the next year and beyond!

I understand the corner love but my ultimate scenario is that Brian Thomas Jr. makes it to our 1st pick.
    Whatever the case WR HAS to be a day 1 or 2 selection imho.

After watching San Fran I just get the feeling that the Mahomes/Kelce/Reed combo is so good that we're gonna have to beat them with CJ marching us down the field at the end of a playoff game to win.

Would love to sign Renfro to a cheap deal and STILL get BTj in the 1st.
    Keep Stroud's arsenal loaded!

BamBam, Sooty and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Updated Day 3 Targets
    Cap Space ~$26.5M
    OL Re-sign Josh Jones (2 years, $4.5M = $2M + $2.5M) $1M SB with $2.5M guaranteed (1st year)
    LB Isaiah Simmons (2 years, $10M = $5M + $5M) $4M SB with $7M guaranteed (1st year)
    SAF Justin Simmons (2 years, $24M = $12M + $12M) $10M SB with $17M guaranteed (1st year)

I could live without LB Simmons, but truly feel he weaponizes the defense. Then would just need a CB in the draft (Quinyon)

Restructure Tunsil (+$11.3M) + Howard (+$8.6M)
    Then Extend Nico Collins (4 years, $80M) 16, 18, 22, 24 ($36M SB with $44M guaranteed)

UTSA2step, GOATuve, ric_flair and 2 others like this.
  3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Nah man, this boy has hands… not just track speed.

IBTL likes this.
  4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

5. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Yea @Texanscap tweet clearly states that the 26M number doesnt include the cap hits for 7 guys that include Autry and Townsend, collectively im gonna guess that group of 7 is gonna total prob closers to 15M in 2024 cap hits. That plus the draft pool, the Texans are operating right now with ~10M or less in cap space before any cuts or restructures. Im seeing people keep saying we have 26M in cap space including sportsradio610 this morning but it doesnt look to be true.

red5rocket, GOATuve, BamBam and 3 others like this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Day 3 will be interesting bargain shopping.

#3426 deb4rockets, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    red5rocket, Bobbythegreat and IBTL like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Today is Nick's time to shine.

Between some good safeties out there, some valuable other players at positions of need (corner, wide receiver, linebacker, and d line), and looming cuts, I'm hoping for another splashy move or two.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's pray the rosary my brothers and sisters in Christ. In Caserio and Hannah, we trust.

houstonstime and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'd love that. I've been pleasantly surprised so far by the Texans. It's exciting to have a competent front office again, as well as a good team!

BamBam, rfrocket and Two Sandwiches like this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing would make a bigger splash for me than somehow working out contract restructuring to get the cap space to snag Calvin Ridley.

I know it's a pipe dream, but it's mine. :)

Fyreball, BamBam and IBTL like this.
  11. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

As long as we are passing the peace pipe of dreams, I want them to sign Arik Armstead on a cap-friendly deal. He just seems like a Texan to me. Also, I think he will be highly motivated to get some revenge in the AFC Championship game (he played really well in the SB but I'm sure he'd still like a bit of PM again) before annihilating whoever comes out of the other, lesser, side of the bracket.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Keep passing the pipe.

I'd like Justin Simmons, Hunter Renfrow, Khalil Mack and Adoree Jackson.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Nook, BamBam and cbass like this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

thank you. Now let’s cut Robert Woods ;)

15. War Machine

War Machine Member

No wonder he took a $20 Million paycheck from Pfizer to push the jab in that commercial.

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Someone mentioned Mahomes having Kelce but Brady also had Gronk. Texans could still use a bona-fide #1 WR for this reason. WR1 Nico/WR2 drafted first round WR/Slot Tank

evo8lover likes this.
  17. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

I’d try to trade for Higgins as a no 2 receiver or Brandon ayuik from San Fran

18. Porkasaurus85

Porkasaurus85 Member

Sounds good in theory, but then you have to pay them. Or did you want just a 1 year rental? If we do pay them, are we letting Nico go? Puts us in the same position next year that we are right now. I think that’s why drafting a wr in round 1 or 2 makes the most sense

19. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Ridley is going to Jacksonville or NE. He'd be a great addition though

20. conquistador#11

I hope that in the next 3 years the league does something about the % a franchise qb takes up in the salary cap. That's no reward for being able to find a franchise qb. Maybe something like top 8 qbs are excluded from the regular salary cap. Owners pay separate tax for them.

We barely have around $10-12 million left if you include those 7 contracts plus the draft dough. Woods has to be released and another restructure so that we can get Whitehead, Renfrow and Armstead.

FLASH21 likes this.