1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 8: Green Goes Nova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 11, 2024.

?

Do you believe?

1. Yes

58.4%
  2. No

41.6%
  1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I want him to do well. He seems like a genuinely good guy and earnest talent. I'm just afraid fumble mumble doesn't have the processing speed to perform at the level we need to become what we eventually want from a starting player. The basic framework for high bb iq just doesn't seem to be in place to grow to scale. Or the jumpshot.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is a lot of circular logic. The one and only thing that matters is what can be his real value by summer 2025 when he’s a restricted free agent and we have to make a decision. If we’re building around Sengun then do we not want a 23 yr old SG if he’s fairly valued at like $30m+ in the summer of 2025? When did it become easy to acquire a player like that?

Would it be crazy that a 21/22 yr old nba player who has been accumulating bad habits without accountability for 5-6 years took more than 60 games to drop bad habits and install good ones? Would you be shocked if it happened next season?

Green needs to improve his 3pt shooting, do some better shot selection and put on muscle. It’s not magic and this coming summer is going to make or break Jalen’s career - both on the court and financially. He now understands what Udoka needs from him so I bet his summer workouts will be less general and more laser focused on the critical areas for improvement.

There’s reasons for optimism as long as he puts forth some great effort on both sides of the court and improves his decision making in this final month of the season.

I would also say have some faith in Udoka. I find it unlikely after Udoka has one more summer/year developing Jalen that Jalen won’t improve at all.

Richie_Rich, glynch, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  3. lpbman

lpbman Member

I thought Green did more than try on defense tonight. He looked pretty good defensively... and some of those "easy" rebounds that were won because of other guys boxing out, someone needed to go get them and he did so. Nice game.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is playing pretty well, missed shots from deep aside. The effort, intensity, and intention are all there. Looking more and more like an Ime Udoka player. Terrifying player to trade away, but also a frustrating player to have.

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He’s been good but not good enough imo. I want to see him pass off on some of his shots in his least efficient zones. There are two zones that are really hurting him: mid range from the sides and 3pters outside of simple catch and shoot when open type. He needs to cut down on these two things a lot until he’s worked on them a bit more and convert them to two other things: attacks on the rim or good passes to the more open teammate.

Jabari looked promising at the 5, I think Jalen is going to see a lot more drives open up for him. Hopefully that reduces the need to take so many 3pters. We can live with Jalen taking only 4 3pters a game and see his efficiency go up. Would rather split those 3-4 3PT shots between Brooks and Jabari right now. This increased tempo is generating some easier points for him too.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Let's keep it up Jalen. At least 20-25 points and good effort on defense/ every game. Cavs are a tough defensive team so it will be a good test.

BigMaloe, roslolian, OnNotice and 2 others like this.
  7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yeah I wouldn’t get my hopes up to high for that matchup if I was you.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't know about that. Post game he said his focus is on defense and staying involved with the team. Obviously don't expect 37 high efficiency points but I think 20-25 points plus good effort on defense is realistic.

10. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I hope so. I’m camp keep green

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

12. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Yeah I thought a nova was a sort of spectacular, explosive death (?)... Probably takes the whole neighborhood with it ;) Hope it doesn't happen on-court. Guess this means he is a dwarf star anyway...

#112 burlesk, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    Rokman likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nova is likely going to be the name choice for his daughter.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Green is making this such an interesting end to the season. Raising the stakes by winning WC player of the week - essentially a top 2 NBA player for that week.

Congratulations Jalen. You’re making the haters sweat this week.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Jalen Betelgeuse.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You’re a better person than me. If I stated said player would go supernova and exactly a week later that player got his 1st player of the week. I would be a little obnoxious. Quite gracious of you sir.

Mathloom and MadMax like this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Mathloom is good people

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Thread name is becoming more and more prescient by the day

19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

clutchfans got prophets ...

Mathloom and Ancient Moabite like this.
  20. conquistador#11

Like the Never Ending Story. We're living out every chapter.
    [​IMG]

Mathloom and Ancient Moabite like this.