1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hopefully. Luhnow did it regularly, with Yordan being the poster boy. Click did it with Yainer Diaz. Brown’s only trade like that so far was for an old DSL bat in Oliver Carrillo, but hopefully he is able to keep the trend going (or start it back up).

raining threes, IdStrosfan and Nook like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Those write ups seem a little better this year.

25+ HR potential: Jacob Melton, Brice Matthews, Luis Baez, Waner Luciano, Camilo Diaz, Cesar Hernandez, Zach Dezenzo, (Cam Fisher, Zach Cole and Joey Loperfido were inferred as well)

95+ mph FB: Miguel Ullola, Alimber Santa, Misael Tamarez, Michael Knorr, Alonzo Tredwell, Jake Bloss, AJ Blubaugh, Spencer Arrighetti

They comped Cam Fisher to Kyle Schwarber and Miguel Ullola to Bryan Abreu. Luis Baez may end up at 1B. Dezenzo and Luciano will get work in the OF.

#264 Snake Diggit, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    mightybosstone and BlindHog like this.
  5. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not following the minors as much lately as guys aren't tripping the stats that get me excited enough to dig deeper on them. That said, the Astros top guys in general hit the smack out of the ball. If these guys also had FV50 hit tools along with their above average power, more of them should have been traded for pitching.

7. raining threes

Whitcomb?

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He wasn’t in their top 30. I was just making a list of the guys on the top 30 who had blurbs that mentioned their power potential of 25+ bombs.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My hope is that the FO isn’t just playing the numbers game of hoping if you compile enough speed/power/strikeout guys that one will figure it out and become a star, but that they have some secret sauce of how to cure the wart. If they can figure out to take a 25-30% k guy with 30/30 tools and make him a 20-25% k guy, all of a sudden they probably have 6-7 top 100 type prospects in their system.

Thats probably a pipe dream. But 2024 will go a long way to seeing if it’s possible.

raining threes likes this.
  10. raining threes

The test case to me is Gomez. From what I've read is he's got star level potential, but has a hole in his swing that they're trying to fix. If they can do this I will be a believer.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't know about secret sauce, but the Astros have been a little better than average in the development of hitters for a few years. Getting a lot of guys with potential for a numbers game seems a good match. Though most of their development successes has been squeezing out a little more power from contact guys than the power guys they currently have. I kind of expect it was just easier in the past for them to get contact guys with power potential, and recently it has been easier to get guys with power that have contact potential.

Zen Tabak and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I have always wondered how George Springer developed the way he did. In his 2 minor league seasons and rookie year in the majors he struck out between 25% and 33% of the time, but since then has been between 16% and 24%. I’ve been too lazy to research it but hopefully whatever they did with him is what they can do with some of these other guys.

Obviously not all those guys have the same issues. Strikeouts come from bad swing decisions, poor contact ability, and from having a particular weakness (I.e. hole in the swing). Not sure which was Springer’s problem and what each of their current guys is dealing with (although I am pretty sure Whitaker and Melton have holes in their swing).

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You have remember that the Astros went from a homerun club to a no strikeout club in the same period. I think Springer always had the capability to be selective, he was probably told to be more aggressive in his early years. I really want Cabbage to work out because his tools look amazing. He just doesn't make good contact enough.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Springer just is swinging more under control. He's reduced his strikeouts, but he's still roughly been a 130 wRC+ hitter for his career regardless if he strikes out a lot or stikes out less. His best years are when has low Ks and high power numbers, but he has good years with moderate to high K, high power and good years with low K, moderate power.

I would not say Springer ever had a problem hitting. It was more just a choice of going for more consistency than variance. Though, I did appreciate the hot streak in the 2017 World Series.

When comparing wRC+ with K%, there's a small negative slope (considering K% is measuring percent and wRC+ is on average 130) with a near 0 R2 (i.e., reducing K% has had no significant effect on how good a hitter Springer is).

Screenshot 2024-03-07 093843.png

#274 Joe Joe, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    snowconeman22 and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That is really interesting. Gives hope that maybe some of Houston’s prospects can at least work out to be about what Springer was his rookie year: a guy who strikes out a whole lot but hits for enough power to justify it. Could especially be possible for the guys with significant defensive value (Matthews, Melton, Cole, Daniels, Whitcomb, Leon).

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Springer's wRC+ was 155 in AA and 177 in AAA. The moral of Springer's story is that if you are a beast with high strikeouts in the high minors and early MLB career, you can be a beast.

I don't think any of the Houston prospects has the hitting (overall hitting and power) potential Springer had. Loperfido is probably the closest to Springer with a 125 wRC+ across AA and AAA. If Loperfido has a similar transition to the majors, that would be basically what Meyers has done despite only having one shoulder for most of his MLB career.

I don't think Springer is a good comp to draw hope because he was always a great hitter (i.e., the Ks didn't hurt his production).

snowconeman22 and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-spring-breakout-roster-2024?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Spring breakout prospects rosters were released this morning. Here’s Houston:

C: Miguel Palma, John Garcia, Collin Price
    IF: Brice Matthews, Zach Dezenzo, Waner Luciano, Camilo Diaz, Alberto Hernandez, Will Wagner
    OF: Jacob Melton, Luis Baez, Zach Cole, Joey Loperfido, Kenedy Corona, Kenni Gomez
    P: Spencer Arrighetti, AJ Blubaugh, Jose Fleury, Jake Bloss, Michael Knorr, Andrew Taylor, Rhett Kouba, Miguel Ullola, Trey Dombroski, Alimber Santa, Tyler Guilfoil

Some interesting and surprising choices and omissions. But I don’t think it is worth reading too much into; I’m sure a lot of it is just who is healthy and which younger guys they think can play without getting embarrassed. The opening day roster assignments I think will tell us a lot more. Collin Barber, Tyler Whitaker, Colton Gordon, and Alex Santos seem like the biggest surprise omissions to me.

John Garcia has risen firmly into deep sleeper status. He’s gotten a good amount of run this spring and had a pretty good year last year.

My guess is the first half of the game will be upper level guys and the lineups will look like this:

RF Melton
    SS Matthews/Diaz
    1B Loperfido/Price
    CF Corona/Gomez
    3B Dezenzo/Luciano
    2B Wagner/Hernandez
    LF Cole
    DH Baez
    C Palma/Garcia

#277 Snake Diggit, Mar 7, 2024
    prospecthugger likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah - I understand, if nothing obvious is jumping off the page, especially in the lower minors - it is easy to overlook what is going on.

The one positive I can say that isn't discussed often is that the Astros in the minors have like 3 of the top 10 exit velocities in the lower minor leagues.

Kenni Gomez and Luis Baez both have exit velocities in-line with good big leaguers - and Melton also had well above average MLB exit velocity.

With these guys, it is a matter of maturity (Gomez) and making enough contact.

The draft that Brown just had for the Astros is going to be very extreme in it's outcome.... he took several players with extreme outcomes that have superstar type upside, but are very raw or have injury concerns. Matthews has similar talent to Barry Larkin, but he is so incredibly raw.... Alonzo Tredwell has #1 starter upside if he can ever stay healthy and stabilize his delivery.... Chase Jaworsky is very young but was likely a first or second rounder had he gone to college... there are a couple of high variance high school outfielders as well.

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Spring Breakout is a new addition to the Spring Training schedule. Every team fills out a roster consisting solely of prospects and they'll play each other.

This showcase takes place next weekend; the Astros' Spring Breakout game is against the Cardinals on Sunday, March 17 at 9:05 AM Central. Unfortunately, it's an audio-only broadcast.

#280 tellitlikeitis, Mar 7, 2024