1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. raining threes

Not for me, Wilkins is not only the better player, he gives more interior pass rush and is just as good against the run. Put another edge rusher like Latu or Robinson to go with WA and you will begin to have the type of front 7 Ryans was talking about. P. Wilson in Rd. 2 and the front 7 is set.

red5rocket likes this.
  2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

There is.

raining threes likes this.
  3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Well, doesn’t it feel ****ing great to be in the catbird’s seat for a change? I can’t wait until the season starts, whomever we end up bringing in.

4. raining threes

I'm a Longhorn fan and I expect Brooks to go late 2nd/Early 3rd. I would rather Caserio go offense in FA and draft a guy like P. Wilson in the 2nd.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Am I the only one worried about Barklay's injury history? He's missed at least 3 games in 4 of the last 5 seasons. I don't trust our ability to win games with Pierce if Barklay gets hurt as usual.

ROCKSS and raining threes like this.
  6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You are not. This is why his contract won't be objectionable if he signs with the Texans.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

One week from the end of the 2023 NFL season and beginning of the 2024 FA signing period. This is going to be a wild week of next level speculation.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Ranking needs to be addressed For this ranking, I don't count on F/R practice squad players.

1. RB - Pierce is the only player with game experience.
    2. DT - Collins and Hinish need both upgrade and depth.
    3. DE - Anderson needs help on the other side.
    4. CB - Stingley needs help on the other side.
    5. LB - Need help.Harris is good and To'oTo'o is inconsistent. Need and ace MIKE
    6. FS - Ward under-performed.
    7. SS - Pitre under-performed.
    8. WR - Depth or better performance.

FA wish list: Probably no more than two.

1. Queen MIKE
    2. Barkley RB
    3. Wilkins DT
    4. Greenard DE
    5. Howard CB
    6 McKinney S

#1228 Marshall Bryant, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...iecing-together-roster-vital-continue-success

Houston would like to keep linebacker Blake Cashman, who led the team in tackles (106) last season, but his cost could be more than what the Texans are willing to spend -- especially if no deal is in place before the negotiating period opens. Houston could focus on Ravens free agent linebacker Patrick Queen, who played with Texans cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. at LSU. Queen was second-team All Pro last season, and there's some interest between the two parties, per source.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Coming off a torn ACL. I would stay away

deb4rockets and ROCKSS like this.
  11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I know people really want Queen here, IJS there are several LBs who I think would be available for less.
    - Isaiah Simmons (NYG) his athleticism with Meco's coaching?!? also played for our new LBs coach in AZ
    - Willie Gay (KC) talented & a champion
    - Shaq Leonard (IND/PHI): if recovered, would be a nice addition & we play Clots 2Xa year

Just 3 who jump out to me & would be SUBSTANTIALLY LESS than Queen IMHO

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Everyone misses 3 games a year these days. That's the norm.

red5rocket likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I guess what worries me about him is that he's missed 23 games in the last 4 years and is asking for big money. It makes me want to draft the best RB out of college and use that money on someone else.

There are some older guys who have stayed durable like Derek Henry, who missed 8 games in one year, but only 8 total in the other 7 years.

Some of the younger guys in the top rushing stats haven't missed any games.

Najee Harris hasn't missed a game in 3 years.
    Rachaad White's hasn't missed a game in 2 years.
    Travis Etienne hasn't missed a game in 2 years.
    Bijan Robinson didn't miss a game in his 1st year

14. Qan

Qan Member

Barkley had 1 year where he was sideline due to a major injury and he has played 13 or more games his last 3 years. Injuries happen in the NFL, and sometimes you get unlucky. Btw Barkley played all 16 games his rookie season also...so let's not use Bijan as a comparison, who wasn't even used as heavily as Barkley was his rookie season.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Depends on the round.If he falls far enough, I'd have no problem. 23? definitely not. 59? probably not because of better options. 86? probably. 124 DEFINITELY.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I gave plenty of comparisons, and Henry was a good example.

I may be worrying over nothing, but he's never played a full season without missing games, and for a guy who's played heavily as you say, since his rookie season, the hits can take a toll on bodies over time. Sure, last year he only missed 1 game, but that's rare for him.

I'm just not liking the amount of games he's missed for big money.

Last 4 years games played....
    16, 13, 2, 13

I would rather draft a RB for the future, but that's just me. I know most disagree, but unless there isn't a RB in the country capable of being a great starter for our team, I would do it.

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

He plays half his games on the worst field in the NFL, behind the 31st ranked OLine (we are top 20 for comparison), and the opposing defenses put 8 in the box against him because other than Barkley it was Tony Soprano’s son throwing meat chunks to butcher boys…

Give Barkley even an average OLine, better offensive scheme, and a QB/WR group the defense actually has to think about and I think you’ll be amazed.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You also said “what about Jonathan Brooks” in an earlier post…
    I just don’t understand how you can suggest a guy who is CURRENTLY rehabbing a major knee injury that he got before even entering the NFL, but then compare Barkley to freak-of-nature Henry.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

This! Playing at Met Life stadium is like playing at the astrodome. Sadly the Texans play there again this year

red5rocket likes this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Now do the best RB in the league Christian McCaffrey

Fyreball, Qan, BamBam and 1 other person like this.