1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cooper Flagg: The Journey Of A Basketball Prodigy

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by deb4rockets, Mar 3, 2024.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cooper Flagg: The Journey Of A Basketball Prodigy

I came across this old story from October. I don't follow high school basketball, but this kid is perhaps the best prospect anywhere in the world not yet in the NBA. He starts college this year, but is already the unanimous pick as the #1 prospect in the 2025 NBA draft.

I wonder which teams will tank to have the chance to win the lotto and get the chance to draft and develop a basketball prodigy. I'm ready. LOL. I've never said that before, but after this year I'm saying it. This story is really good if you don't already know his background.

Have you seen this kid play?

https://nbadraftroom.com/cooper-flagg-the-journey-of-a-basketball-prodigy/

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

The prize of a very good looking 2025 draft. The value of a potentially high draft pick next year is definitely extremely coveted and teams will definitely set their sights on him for that #1 pick

pairing this guy with someone like Wemby. Sheeeesh the potential of that duo

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, lots of articles/videos have been posted in one of these other threads about him. The best high school players in the country have always flip-flopped between Cam Boozer and Flagg, but after Flagg reclassified to the 2024 class, he's considered the #1 by almost everybody for the 2025 draft. He's on a level to himself in this class, but we'll see how the hype turns out.

I was just thinking how crazy that 2026 draft would've been if AJ Dybantsa (who reclassified to the 2025 class to be in the 2026 draft), Cam Boozer, and Cooper Flagg were all in it. Damn. If ever there was a draft you wanted a lottery pick, that would've been the one.

cmoak1982 and deb4rockets like this.
  4. StroudAndYorDaddy

Dylan Harper will go number #1.. he is the closest prospect to james harden that i have ever seen

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/dylan-harper/

NBA Comparison: James Harden

Strengths: 6’6 left-handed combo guard … Good size and length with a 6’10 wingspan. Strong frame, initiates and handles contact well. Still gets his shot off when absorbing contact in the air on layups. Draws fouls at a good rate. Shot 5.5 free throws per game over the Nike EYBL in 2023 … Plays on and off the ball … Good ball-handler and changes speed well with the ball. Good in the pick & roll and solid slashing ability. Reacts well to the defense with a counter when his initial path gets cut off, whether it’s changing direction himself or finding the open teammate. Balanced and has good body control at the rim … Plays at a good pace and doesn’t get rushed … Sees the floor and passes well. Accurate bounce passes. Distributes very well in the half-court and keeps turnovers low considering his volume/usage with the ball. Averaged a 2nd best 5.3 assists to 2.1 turnovers per game over the Nike EYBL and 3 assists to 0.4 turnovers per game at the U19 World Cup in 2023. Impacts the game without scoring … Scores inside with natural touch around the rim. Always squared up when moving, often finds the bottom of the net after spins and other maneuvers at the rim. Uses glass when appropriate. Averaged 18.9 points per game on 50.4% FG% over the Nike EYBL in 2023 … Very good rebounder for position. Averaged 7.1 rebounds per game over the Nike EYBL in 2023 … Plays with some tenacity …

Weaknesses: Isn’t an incredibly explosive leaper or possesses high-level quickness. While he scores a lot in the paint, he’s usually not finishing above the rim. May struggle defending quicker players on the perimeter at the next level. Gets beat on closeouts at times … Capable of shooting from distance and shows shooting touch but lacks some arc and can improve 3PT consistency. Shot 33.3% 3PT% on 4.5 3PT attempts per game over the Nike EYBL and 25% 3PT% on 2.9 3PT attempts per game at the U19 World Cup in 2023 … Can improve as a free throw shooter. Shot 59.1% FT% over the Nike EYBL in 2023 … Needs more consistency on midrange pull-up … Can improve using right hand at the rim. Even when driving right, he looks to come back to finish with his left hand. Can improve finishing technique as some drives are forced and gets caught in the crowd …

Outlook: Son of Ron Harper and brother of Ron Harper Jr. … 2023 Naismith High School All-American 2nd Team … Played in the 2023 UA Next Elite 24 …

Evan Tomes 10/18/23

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden is a very good FT shooter, this kid seems like Harden without a FT shot.

I think Ron Harper was sort of a defensive guy......his dad I mean.

StroudAndYorDaddy likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The East have the worst 3 teams, there is a good chance Flagg lands there.

7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

No matter what pick we get from Brooklyn this year, even if it's the #1, I'd be interested in trading it for an unprotected from a bad team in next year's draft. The disparity in talent between the 2 drafts is that large. A #5 next year might be better than #1 this year.

cmoak1982 likes this.