1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros starting CF in 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by IdStrosfan, Feb 17, 2023.

?

Who is the Astros starting CF in 2024?

1. Chas McCormick

48 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. Jake Meyers

15 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Pedro Leon

12 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. Drew Gilbert

37 vote(s)
    31.1%
  5. Colin Barber

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jacob Melton

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

lol maybe he shouldn’t have gone into last season as a fatty

2. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Or, instead of being as lazy as Dusty, you could look at his production in the field and at the plate instead of his physique. Even his sprint times in the OF were above average.

But Dusty is gone and the new management is not as superficial as you, so he will play everyday.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. right1

right1 Member

Yeah, skinny players like Dubon (.675 ops), Julks (.660 ops), and Meyers (.675 ops) are definitely more productive and better options than thick Chas and his (.850 ops) after "going into last season as a fatty".
    Fatties like Lance Berkman, Kirby Puckett, Vlad Guerrero, Miguel Cabrera, Tony Gwynn, John Kruk, Prince Fielder, Mo Vaughn, Terry Pendleton and George Herman "Babe" Ruth should have never been full time starting mlb players.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I still have a (baseless) hunch they're going to sign Cody Bellinger.

5. the shark

the shark Member

Interesting.
    If Bellinger is wanting 150-200 mil I would prefer they use that money towards potentially resigning Bregman.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Or add some more and sign tucker

Zen Tabak and Bregatron like this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Or move Tucker to CF and tell him that he can have RF back if he signs a long term deal.

punkoholic and Bregatron like this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

In negotiations, what a player wants is a CAP, not what it will take to sign him. It's an opening move.

9. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Is it fun being a dipshit?

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Our GM has said Meyers will be our center fielder but he seems to prevaricate as often as not. Personally I think Meyers is about 50/50 coming out of Spring training and less than 15/85 by the 4th of July.

11. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I am not as gung-ho about signing tucker. Ofcourse I'll be happy if it happens but he has disappointed me 3 of the last 4 playoffs and if we can keep some other core players while getting a big haul for tucker, I would be ok with it.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would be more OK with it after this season.

Let's just have the Astros win the World Series with him and 2-3 OF prospects have great years, then trade him forca Juan Soto-lite type haul.

Obviously he had a bad postseason, but there were times he carried thecteam to get them there and he is simply crazy naturally talented.

Zen Tabak and eliefor3 like this.
  13. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Yah I think this might be the last hooray. Hopefully some players can bounce back (valdez, mcculers, brown, javier) and we can have better health.

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

That would be nice but not seeing it happen .

15. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I find it interesting how a few years ago vote for Pedro would have been a popular choice. He never figured out the strike zone. Meyers has a hot start once he got called up. Then injury hit him and took away his momentum. McCormick steps on to the scene in the 2022 playoffs. Gilbert would probably be favored if he was here but he gets traded for JV. Now Myers healthy supposedly may get a chance to earn it back all the while McCormick is done nothing but improve even more. And oddly enough Dubon is a very serviceable backup despite looking like he was a washout up until 2023. I went to spring training and he looked like complete crap last year I didn't think he was going to make the team. Baseball's a funny sport you never can tell who knows maybe Pedro returns but I feel like this is McCormick's position he's earned it and he continues to improve put up decent enough numbers. Chomping his was too the "plate".

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Personally I would be in the trade him now or don't trade him camp.

To be clear, I don't want him to be traded now and i'm 100% sure we won't, but...

If we were to trade him now the return would be significant, with a top 10-15 type prospect involved plus more. If we trade him after the year the return will be decent but not great. At that point i'd rather keep him and try to win back to back titles

raining threes likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think everyone now agrees Chas is an everyday player (now that Baker is gone). I think there is some debate in the org on whether it's in center or left. I think the ideal situation would obviously be Meyers or someone else have a breakout season and cement their place in center, and have Chas play left full time while backing up center and right when Alvarez wants to play the field and Meyers and Tucker need some rest.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I created this thread over a year ago now and voted for Pedro Leon.

I still think there is a path for him to make this team but the starting CF, at least on opening day, isn't happening without an injury to Meyers.

He may well end up with plenty of time on the roster though.

If I were to recreate this thread now for 2025 I think Melton has to be the guy, with Leon, Meyers, and Corona the most likely other options.

I think Chas and Barber will settle into LF options and very occassional, borderline emergency CF options in 2025.

We will see how 2024 goes and confirms or changes this.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I tend to look at things in a probalistic way. There is a decent chance Meyers is 2025 starter if he hits about what he did last year on average. Most projections think the median outcome is about that. However, ZiPs has Meyers 80 percentile outcome of an OPS+ of 114. If Meyers does that, he's almost guaranteed to be the starter.

So let's say 50% chance Meyers is the 2025 starter with a 50-80 percentile outcome, and near 100% for a 80-100 percentile outcome. That's about a 35% chance Meyers is the 2025 starter. I'd give Chas at least about a 25% chance. I have a hard time seeing any other player having a higher chance than Meyers besides maybe Chas for 2025 OD CF starter. There is just too good a chance Meyers has freakish good year even if he's not really a better hitter or that he's a better hitter.