1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets fire Vaughn - observe if they change directions of tanking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Feb 19, 2024.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...part of the reason why there are no longer any identifiable Nets fans

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Like I said you need to look at the picks first before talking about how amazing they are. "Everyone was complaining those picks would suck" Uh nope, only people who wanted Ben Simmons were complaining. The difference between the Nets picks was that all 3 of Harden, KD and Irving are flaky, selfish and injury prone. Dallas and Phoenix have only 1 of those 3 and they have Booker and Luka. Luka and Lively can carry Dallas to the playoffs even without Irving whereas Beal and Booker can keep PHX semi decent with KD.

Secondly the Nets owes Rox Nets picks only until 2027, 2028+ doesn't matter to the Rockets. So really you are only talking about until 2026 window cuz by start of 2027 all the Nets obligation is done. Sure NBA changes a lot but doubt PHX and Dallas become lotto teams in 3 yrs.

2024 - Rox get the picks
    2025 - Nets get the OKc and PHX pick lolz. How much you think those are worth? KD still under contract along with Booker and Beal. They won't win a ring but they also won't be a lotto team.
    2026 - No picks
    2027 - phi, PHX. This doesn't matter, even if these picks become no 1 and 2 picks Rox got the Nets pick already.

Third and most important, with the Rox they only had to bet vs the Nets and even then they couldn't trade the picks. In the Nets case they got all these low first rounders that bet against contenders Philadelphia, Miami, Dallas and PHX? How they even gonna sell that to other teams?

"Hey bro, trade me Giannis for all these picks from contenders, I'm sure all of them will suck in 5 yrs".

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Realistically speaking, Nets are almost guaranteed to have 2 sucky years, and then it will depend how good their free agency haul is.

2022: Tari Eason
    2024: lotto pick
    2025 (swap) : lotto pick

2026 Ben Simmons is off the books so Nets can do something in free agency let's assume worst case Nets become contenders:
    2026: low frp
    2027 (swap): low frp

Worst case net return for Harden is 3 lotto picks (Tari is good enough to be a lotto pick) and 2 low frps. Not bad.

cml750 likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

[​IMG]

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is a wrong graph to begin with cuz like I said Frps are not equal. Misuse of data.

Rox can trade their Nets pick next year to OKC for 3 low frps and zoom in this chart lol.

In the NBa 4 quarters don't get you a dollar and multiple low frps from contenders aren't a treasure trove.

#65 roslolian, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    BamBam and OremLK like this.
  6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Not only that but they lost the trade deadline too!
    Their "superstar" M. Bridges with a Jalen Green-like 7-21, including 1-11 from 3 in a loss to the timber-puppies last game.

Still can't believe that Stone was ready to give all or most of their picks back for that dude!
    Just like with Hakeem or Robert Horry, sometimes the best trades are the ones never made! (or luckily rescinded)

clos4life and roslolian like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Posts from reddit say the offer wasn't all the picks, just Jalen Green and the 2 swaps. Hard to believe Nets would turn down all their picks back+Jalen Green for Bridges if it was offered.

clos4life likes this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Brooklyn is in good shape to make some major movies to become competitive next season, or they could slow-play a longer, more durable rebuild. I’ve lived in Brooklyn and New York for many years on and off. Lots of friends there that tell me everyone is down on the team, no one goes to the games, and it’s become a joke. I’m gonna bet the owners are going to make some big moves this offseason.

one of the biggest factors is the Simmons contract; it’s about to become an asset/max expiring.

This years Brooklyn pick could be one of the last significant assets that pays off from the Harden deal. Im betting the rest of those picks and pick swaps will be middle round value at best. Still valuable but probably not golden assets.

my biggest concern is if our front office can actually pull off a trade that really pays off and properly values assets and returns. I’m starting to get excited for one last dip into the high lotto draft well, but not clutching the rest of those Nets picks as tightly as others are.

For me the ideal offseason:

1). Brooklyn pick lands on top 4 and we draft a young stud

2). Get something of value for the Landale and Jeff Green contract/assets or use the cap room to sign a meaningful free agent.

3). Package Jalen, Tate, Dillon Brooks and Brooklyn picks for a star.

go into next yr with:
    1)Star
    2) Free agent
    3) Rookie draft pick
    4) Steven Adams
    5)Sengun
    6)Bari
    7)Tari
    8)Cam
    9)Fred
    10)Amen

#68 Aruba77, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    theDude and Shark44 like this.
  9. MystikArkitect

Let's go Memphis and Toronto! Pretty much all I'm watching for at this point so we can try and draft the Kentucky kid.

Aruba77 likes this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It does look like Brooklyn is going to try to stay relevant, but what could Ben Simmons’ expiring contract bring them? Would Simmons+ 3 FRP (‘27 PHI, PHX and ‘28 BKN) and some second rounders get them Trae Young or Dejounte Murray?

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Any team trading their star is going to demand the BK pick this year or one of our better young players that isn't Green. I don't see how the Rockets could keep Sengun, Bari, Tari, Amen, Cam and the 24 Nets pick while also trading for a star.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

fair point. I still expect us to be able to get the equivalent value of a lotto protected 1st for Jalen. And we know Tate is worth two 2nds. Add in the rest of the Brooklyn picks and pick swaps. I suppose you’re right that we’d have to include a core young talent or the 24’ Brooklyn pick to get a true star.

I’d have a hard time giving up Cam or Amen, who feel like legit all star prospects. Sengun has shown the most of all our drafted players. I can’t be objective about Tari because he’s my favorite player, but you wouldn’t want to split up the upside of Amen and Tari on the court together. I still buy Bari as an elite 2-way role player. There would have to be a special talent in the 24’ draft for me to want to include Jabari in a trade package over that pick, but Bari is probably the rocket I’d be willing to include in a deal for a star.

gmoney411 likes this.
  13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

My guess is something like Green/Brooks/BK pick(s) for a player like Mitchell or Ingram if they become available.

Aruba77 likes this.