1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. maypk

maypk Member

I truly love the search option on this forum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Im sure you do and like I said I’m a Rockets fan, I go in on every player not just 1.. I have no favorite player

That’s yall new age (fake fans) now do the same search on Jalen or Bari … I’ll wait … next you will say I’m a CamHater lmao

JayGoogle and 34to11 like this.
  3. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

This guy and @Salvy will die due to Sengun hate toxicity. Poor boys :)

clos4life and HardenReturns like this.
  4. maypk

maypk Member

I'd happily do the same search on Jalen or Bari if you have claimed you've never bullshitted on them too.

HardenReturns likes this.
  5. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you read your own search you would see other names in a lot of those same post… but nice try

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

What? Sengun is my fav player after Amen and Cam... I basically give Sengun praise every night, yeah as a Rockets fan I dislike it when Sengun makes dumb mistakes for a year 3 player but I still watch every game looking forward to seeing some improvement. I have always been a supporter of Sengun...

7. Tempington

Tempington Member

tagedieb likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Alperen causes problems with spacing! Not our starting SG that shoots 30.7%!" :D (Alperen might catch him. 29.8% from three right now...)

Better get these posts in while you can you little turds! Alperen is inevitable! :cool:

HardenReturns likes this.
  9. 34to11

34to11 Member

Come on now. You know Sengun's shortcomings and failures are never his fault.
    All those missed bunnies, defensive lapses, and lackadaisical effort is because Silas...I mean Jalen...I mean the refs...I mean Udoka...I mean Bari...I mean, well anyone but Alpi's fault.

After all, the guy did get more fan votes than Kawhi.

Verbal Christ and gfab-babyboi like this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

You for forgot @rocketschump

HardenReturns and clos4life like this.
  11. conquistador#11

Ime wanting Sengun to bait double teams like he is 24 year old Harden shows me two things,
    How good Ime thinks Sengun is offensively or Ime is freaking insane.

12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The double teaming just works too well, it takes him out of the game. Keep in mind that a player getting doubled is both a compliment and an insult. It's a compliment for obvious reasons, you have to be good enough that the other team wants the ball out of your hands. Nobody is gonna double team you if you're a bum, they will just let you shoot. So at the very least he is good enough that they want the ball out of his hands.

But on the flip side of that, you only double team players if it works. There are some players you just can't double because they'll kill you for it. And Sengun is not that guy right now, not even close. I hope he gets there, as I said in an earlier post it is a team effort, but it starts with him. And right now he's too slow to process, doesn't make the right pass, and constantly turns the ball over. The double team is way too effective on him.

At least we know Ime sees this. Based on his comments this is something that the coaching staff understands and is working on. All we can do is hope it gets better and Sengun figures it out.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Beating double team is a team effort. The other guys need to make the right move to get the ball for an open shot.

This is not an excuse for Sengun. He does need to make the read more quickly. There were occasions that someone was open and he didn't make the pass. Interestingly, Sengun seems to be less confident in his passing game in a set play. He is at his best making passes in a broken play when everybody is scrambling. I've been saying that we need more off ball movement to maximize Sengun's court vision talent.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We desperately need Tari back.

Easy likes this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That's a big part of the problem though. If he can't improve in processing his reads quicker in kick out passes and has to rely on set plays and cutters breaking down defenses for the impromptu passes, it makes him less desirable to build around. Being great at kick outs is a huge part of having an inside-out offense. We all know this first hand from the Hakeem days and it's a big reason why I hate that we set up Sengun so far out from the post. Now whether it's because he's not strong enough to establish a deeper position or we scheme him at to post at the elbow and beyond, I don't know.

As for the shooter situation, everyone knows who need shooters. The challenge was that we have been investing our resources towards finding an athletic wing that can be a star. If the team does decide to build around Sengun (or someone else), then I imagine we would start focusing more on shooters that can also defend.

tagedieb likes this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He’s hurt. I know it and I’m sure the team knows it but I’m sure he won’t tell the staff he is. This isn’t the same guy we saw 3 months ago

AlperenSengun likes this.
  17. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Or just bringing his shot back. It was falling for him early in the season then he stopped taking them. Bringing back his face up moves would do wonders for him when he's in a funk. Too many times he turns the ball over when he resort to bulldozing into the paint every single time.

18. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I believe it's a little column A and a little column B. We have no go to scorer on this team so the only thing we can do is play through Sengun double teams. Ironically signing Harden would've fixed our offensive issues. Sengun is slumping hard lately and I'm not relieving him of any blame, but it really doesn't help that we have so many poor shooters around him. Jokic is obviously worlds better than Sengun right now, but you can see how against the Warriors they cannot force a double team on Jokic every time he touches the ball because they have to respect Nuggets' shooters. All they could do was pray Draymond would slow him 1v1 and yeah obviously he couldn't. We desperately need shooters. FVV, Villon, and Jabari are too streaky. Jalen just straight up ass cheeks when it comes to shooting 3s. Just imagine if Harden was playing alongside Sengun. Our defense would get worse, but our offense would be world's better.

19. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I haven't quite figured out why everyone talks about Sengun like he's a ten year vet that's hit his ceiling. He's 21 years old, of course he's going to have things to improve. He took a leap this season but I don't know when we decided that leap had to be straight to stardom and that he doesn't have more leaps to take. He's got things to learn as every 21 year old who has ever played in this league has

Of guys in this archetype, Sabonis was still off the bench in his third season. Jokic had a very similar season in his 3rd year, though he was also 23 years old at that point

20. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Assuming we use our draft pick(s), I'm very much hoping we bring in shooters. There's a couple sharpshooters in this draft that'd look great here and help spacing a lot.

What we don't need is any more of the very athletic but streaky or bad shooting guys, of which there are also a couple in this draft

clos4life likes this.