1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumors: JG4 refusing to be sixth man and believing him not being properly used

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Feb 21, 2024.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Finishing one of those trainings is always a true achievement and a testament to human endurance. Haymitch is now certified anti-bias Clutchfans mod.

Haymitch likes this.
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I need to apologize for this statement. The actual best way to use him is load him up with drinks and towels so he can pass it out to his teammates as they sit down.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

"Kenny bring me some water"

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There should be a clause in his contract, never slip into people's Direct messages or you will be fined heavily.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

There would be spilled drinks and dropped towels all around the bench.

6. fattz

fattz Member

S T O N E; All of this is no surprise. The fact we are seeing it here in Houston is. Why did our GM keep him around after the trade deadline? The cleanup after the meltdown(s) is not worth the player at this point, IMO. Green is done here but still part of the team. How is this going to end nicely, it’s not. He is not going to let growth happen around him because of toxicity (immaturity whatever you wanna call it). The problem is he is still in a Rocket’s uniform. This is not the show I want to see. Look at his play on the basketball court and his character (that is presented to us). We are in for a long good bye, Thank you Mr. Stone.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

Sit his ass at the end of the bench until the end of the season and trade him for the best any other team offers (likely a 2nd round pick at best). If nobody offers anything simply cut him. He provably makes the team worse when he is on the court so he should never see the court again except garbage time as long as he remains a Rocket. It would take Stone realizing he made a mistake but it has to be done ASAP if they want to try to salvage this season.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Like with Tate, Stone waited too long, should have gotten something worthwhile back when he had the chance.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Surely you must believe some paces suit some players more than others. There's no "winning" pace, except the one that suits your roster. Fast athletes can attack earlier and get back faster in transition. Great big man outlet passers benefit from it. Steve Nash and similar PG's know how to take advantage of it and they inspire their wings to run. A late career Shaq would not benefit at all from a fast pace, in fact you're putting him at a disadvantage having to run back in transition faster. Some players are better in a certain pace, and I don't think it's controversial to say we should try it with a bunch of ultra-athletic guards that can outrun anyone.

I don't look at Green and think the team's pace is the whole reason he's sucked. We're just discussing getting a couple more high efficiency points into his diet.

Nook likes this.
  10. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Jordan Poole got moved to the bench...so...

11. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He's lost all of his confidence, his jump shot is completely broken, he has no mid range game, doesn't use his first step(which is something that I thought would be a huge weapon for him), his handles are shaky and he's just overall lost on the court. It's so disappointing to see. At this point there's literally nothing he does that's positive on the court. Even as a 6th man I don't have much confidence in him at this point. The offseason is going to be huge for him. Either he's going to lock himself in the gym and dedicate himself to improving all aspects of his game or he's going to end up like Harold Minor.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I don't why he doesn't play in garbage minutes. It doesn't seem like this "punish him by sitting him out of 4th quarters" type strategy is working.

He needs confidence. He should come off the bench and play against second units.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think his agency told him if he is a 6th man now he would probably get a much smaller contract.

It is a clash of Interest for sure......and it will carry on till his contract extension is due.

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

If JG is really refusing to come off the bench during garbage minutes then I've really lost all hope in him. This feel more Udoka decisions for me, him starting JG tonight after a long week of thinking. It was an obvious decision for pretty much the entire fanbase.

He's sat out at least 10 games total 4th quarters this season. Plenty of chances to play garbage time and minutes that could have helped gain confidence. There is 0 reason why Reggie Bullock to have significant minutes if were trying to develop players. I think Udoka is still in the mindset to treat every game like a playoff game and it's really clashing with what we have for personnell (6 players under the age of 22).

I think in general it's really disappointing that we played the same exact we have the entire season tonight. After a long break like that it should have been a refreshing start to try new things.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Sure - pace can make a difference in the numbers a player puts up, but ultimately a player has to be able to play at different paces in order to win. No team always dictates the pace. Someone like Steve Nash would be successful at any pace. His numbers will be higher at a higher pace, but he is also getting hammered more on the other end. Some rosters overall are built for a particular style of play, but they aren't winning it all unless they can play well in the halfcourt as well.

As for Green - he would have more baskets in a faster paced system, and his two point field goal percentage would go up as well - but I don't know that his overall impact would be that different, because he would be exploited defensively in transition, he still wouldn't be hitting threes well and he still wouldn't be making smart decisions like he needs to make. Now he doesn't make the right decision or aggression defensively, that would only be worse when the pace is pushed.

What you are saying isn't controversial - style of play and pace fits some players better than others for sure, especially with role players. I just believe in the case of Jalen Green, even with a change in pace and getting a few more easy baskets - the problems he has will still be there.

Green isn't a helpless case - he has talent, but he needs to shoot better, especially from the perimeter - his effort needs to be more consistent and he needs better discipline.

The only real exception I could see is that it is possible that this is all in Green's head, and a faster pace will give Green more confidence.

I know there are a lot of complaints about pace with the Rockets - and honestly, I think they long term will end up playing at a faster pace - but there is a reason they are not doing so. While it would help guys like Amen, Cam, Green - it would limit the effectiveness of guys like Brooks and Sengun and FVV.

That calls into question the choice of the front office to get FVV and Brooks - but that is another question and a complicated one.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two words: Human Shield

HardenReturns likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, fixing Jalen is a much larger project. Requires more muscle, tons of 3pt training and some ego-killing experiences.

In the short term just thinking about getting something out of him, it’s purely a shot selection issue imo. We have to practice some acceptance about what he’s decent at and what he sucks at. If we can get him to be slightly more efficient by cutting out the stupidest of the stupid shots, that helps the team. For example if you forbid him from fadeaway/stepback/longrange/midrange jumpers and give him a couple corner 3’s that makes a material difference to his efficiency and our spacing as a team. It forces him to attack the rim or pass the ball more often and we know he’s taking too many shots per minute.

I feel like Udoka wants him to already be a veteran but he’s simply not. He arrived as the least developed of all our picks and needed the most development time. We decided to go for Wemby with Silas/KPJ at the helm. Just like a child, there’s no skipping the development. It must happen eventually and time doesn’t just fix it. Everything you wanted Silas to be doing last season; we can’t skip that just because we postponed it and he got older. There has to be a phase in his career where his shots are heavily controlled and he loses his starting position for not complying. That’s experience is critical. Till then I feel like whatever team has him is just going to get an overconfident player who doesn’t realize time is not worth wasting.

We wait for a miracle or a trade I guess.

#238 Mathloom, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    Nook likes this.
  19. MystikArkitect

Yeah. They need to protect him from himself. He's just going out there and embarassing himself at this point. I'd rather you put up 4/6 or 6/9 in 20 bench minutes instead of these 3/16 lines where you've been yanked after 25 minutes of play and we're down 20.

Bo6 likes this.
  20. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

the problem with jalen is... he just doesn't give a **** about basketball. he doesn't care if he's getting embarrassed by austin reeves... there's no competitive streak to jalen. all he cares about (for whatever ghey*** reason) is fashion and his social media crap. the guy has his priorities completely ass backward. it's why john wall said all that **** about jalen and kpj, how the two wouldn't even be in the league if they were on any other team.

offseason? i have absolutely no confidence that jalen will be working on meaningful parts of his game. sure, he'll put up shots and training videos for his social media purposes.. but to actually work on his game so that he can get better..? no, we've seen way too much of this fraud to believe he is actually going to work to improve on all facets of his game.

BigShasta, GOATuve and HardenReturns like this.