1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wth is mad about now? Contender, catches 90+ passes a yr, and has an elite qb. Andre Johnson would have killed to have Josh Allen throwing to him.

4. conquistador#11

Me when someone says it's a slam dunk:
    [​IMG]

5. Buck Turgidson

That or the Raiders seems appropriate.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not that excited about it tbh unless its a reasonable deal. RBs are just so...replaceable and he's always hurt. There's always like 1 or 2 RBs that are worth big deals. Those are true workhorse backs like Travis Henry in his prime, Adrian Peterson, those types.

If Barkley can have a healthy season then sure but...this is football, if someone is having injury issues its not likely that magically it's going to get better.

Usually if you want to improve at RB in this league the best way is through the draft.

I do think Saquon is a perfect fit though I'm just worried about how often he plays.

GOATuve, eliefor3 and justtxyank like this.
  7. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Except he's not hurt very often. He missed most of one 2020 with the ACL. Outside of that season he's played in 14, 16, 13, 13, and 16 games. That's 2.5 games per season missed as the bell cow do EVERYTHING option in New York.

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Whenever someone is asking a NBA, MBL or NFL PLAYER to accept a reasonable deal, I always shake my head.

If the tables were turned and their boss asked them to accept a reasonable salary, when other people who are doing the same work is being paid higher......would they accept reasonable salary or less?? Hell no!

Pay the players!!

raining threes likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. raining threes

They're worth what owners are willing to pay them. If they value living in a certain area or play for a certain team then they may value that over getting every last dollar possible.

Example: Schultz, I would love to have him back but not at 13 mil per yr. At 13 mil per yr see you and sign Fant/Henry or Parkinson and draft a TE.

sydmill and hlmbasketball like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean this mentality is how teams get stuck in salary cap hell. If theres no salary cap, sure, but NFL has a pretty hard cap so when you give out long expensive deals it better be for someone worth that price. I do wish the NFL would change it so QBs are outside of the cap but they'll never do that because they'd be paying those dudes LA Dodgers contracts...

There are so many other options where we can improve the team and just draft a RB in the first or 2nd round and still improve there if we feel like it's a must.

I imagine Barkley is going to demand a lot.

If I'm the Texans I try to see how much Derrick Henry is going to be and just draft his replacement.

If I'm giving out big money it's going to be to someone like Chris Jones. That's just me though.

My concern is his injury history is riddled with leg injuries. This isn't even my opinion, if you look at anything on Barkley it's going to mention his injury history and PFF for example has him 29th on the FA list.

It's also just his position, like I said, are usually very replaceable. Per era you get 1-3 guys that are truly franchise guys that can carry an offense and the rest have short stints of dominance and then flame out. There is a reason why teams are very weary paying them as sad as it is.

So its just me but I wouldn't mind seeing the money go elsewhere. Since so many other positions are stacked this draft we could end up getting the first or 2nd RB in the draft too...

cmoak1982 and raining threes like this.
  12. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Eh, PFF also said that Jordan Love had a much better wild card performance than CJ although their stats were virtually identical. I don't trust their analysis or their future projections.
    Barkley's skillset is tailor made for this offense and his presence would fully unlock the CJ's potential. He's also another veteran in a room other wised filled with youth.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Speaking of cap hell, can someone please educate me on how the saints are STILL so far over the cap? They have been terrible for years it feels like. I just don’t remember who they are paying so much to.

Also, I don’t agree, overpaying Barkley doesn’t put us in cap hell, or anyone for that matter. We have the 3rd most cap space and our QB is on a rookie contract. Any contract we give out for 3 years or less can be 100mil for all I care. Not literally, but we need to take advantage of this opportunity. We need to stop playing “hover over our draft picks and save them instead of getting WAJ” “save our money”

you are in a PERFECT POSITION.

All your picks. 3rd highest cap space with an ability to restructure more. All top positions are locked for a long time on rookie deals (QB, Edge, CB, SS, MLB, WR2), we have the 3rd best LT IN THE LEAGUE locked up to protect said QB and is our only player over 20 mil.

stop overthinking it, spend your money to fill the other gaps, if it doesn’t work, they are gone before we even need to sniff our next big contracts. Spend your draft picks, move up if needed.

we aren’t in (more draft picks the better, need depth) we are at STARTERS, CONTRIBUTORS, take advantage of stroud and get this team farther than it’s ever been. Don’t wait 3 years to then spend big money and have to choose between stroud and WAJ because of it.

PLEASE.

#733 houstonstime, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    red5rocket, macho GRANDE and HeyDude like this.
  14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If I did that the ramp would break as well as my ankle(s).

conquistador#11 and macho GRANDE like this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

My I correct you? They get what the owners are willing to pay them, but they aren't always worth it. In fact they rarely are.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But I'm not saying to not spend money, they absolutely should for exactly that reason.

I'm saying if you are overpaying, overpay for a more durable position and not on a RB that's 27 years old and has had numerous leg injuries including major tears.

The team still has so many holes especially on defense.

evo8lover likes this.
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Do both, get Jones and Barkley. Or Rankins and a higher edge than Greenard.
    I know Barkley is a big risk, but he’s also high reward. I think Barkley can impact the team just as much as Jones for less than half the money too. If you look at it that way.

JayGoogle likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I heard an interesting take today on one of the local Sports Stations. Fill needs through FA on the offensive end and fill needs through the draft on the defensive end, because Demeco is a good defensive coach.

On offense, all we need is to do is resign Schultz, sign Saquon and add two WRs. I think Hollywood Brown would be a good get.

On defense, I would fill our DT, DE, DB and S needs in the draft.

The only defender I would resign is Des King

20. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Barkley might be pricey who knows if that’s the case go after swift itd be cheaper and you’ll have money for the receivers