1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2024 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

2. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Not sure what the argument is. If I was Angels fan (thank goodness I am not) I would appreciate if Rendon would have said something a bit more fan-friendly. He was expected to be MVP-caliber but has been hurt, massively underperformed a huge contract and wasted what were expected to be contending years. Saying its just a job and not important is not refreshing honesty its just depressing bad optics.

Compare that with someone like LMJ. His attitude and love of the game makes it easy to overlook his contract and underperformance.

RKREBORN, The Beard, kubli9 and 2 others like this.
  3. raining threes

His lack of health is probably because he doesn't put in the work to stay healthy.

The Beard, IBTL, kubli9 and 1 other person like this.
  4. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

Oldie but goodie

5. Radricky

Radricky Member

Rendon is also kind of a little b****.
    Remember when he tried to fight that fan?

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I love it.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

What gets me about Rendon is why couldn't he be a lazy slug in 2019?

8. Radricky

Radricky Member

Things to come……

9. Buck Turgidson

Yes, I have no idea who was talking, but yes. "I wish he would have came out but he didn't"

If you're gonna hit somebody, that's how you hit somebody...softass stuff in the rib area. Or if you're really angry, a fastball in the ass.

#569 Buck Turgidson, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  10. Buck Turgidson

Just heard, on my 5 minute drive to the store for tomorrow morning's liter of milk and a pack of peanut M/Ms...a Ritchie Ashburn (Philiie HOF CF) NPR story.

After the 1959 season, the Phillies decided to part ways with beloved center fielder Richie Ashburn. Whitey was shipped to the Cubs for 3 players. After a couple of years in Chicago, he was picked up by the expansion Mets, and spent his final season (1962) in baseball purgatory. The worst team of the modern era, the Mets went 40-120 that season, and the whole year was little more than a running collection of blunders, errors, and losses.

One constant source of Keystone Cop mishaps was the lack of communication between Ashburn, playing center, and the Mets shortstop, a Venezuelan named Elio Chacon. Chacon didn’t speak English, so when Richie would yell “I got it! I got it!” Chacon would keep chasing after the ball and the two would inevitably collide, allowing the ball to fall harmlessly to earth. Finally, the team’s right fielder Joe Christopher, who was bilingual, suggested that instead of yelling, “I got it!”, Richie should yell “Yo La Tengo!” to ward off the shortstop. Ashburn and the young shortstop agreed on it, and sure enough a few games later, a pop fly went into left center, between Ashburn and Chacon. “Yo La Tengo! Yo La Tengo!” shouted Whitey. Chacon stopped in his tracks. Whitey reached his glove up to make the catch…and got plowed over by Mets left fielder Frank Thomas, who didn’t speak Spanish. Whitey and Frank fell to the ground, and the ball landed between them. As they got up to collect themselves, Howard turned to Ashburn and said, “What the **** is a yellow tango?” Incidentally, Thomas was later a member of the 1964 Phillies team. Here’s a great Yo La Tengo song, “Today is the Day”.

#570 Buck Turgidson, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  11. Buck Turgidson

As a total aside, Will Clark was one on my heros back in the 80/90s...I hated him (total redass) but I loved him all the same. One of the prettiest swings in a long time.

Will Clark was white Michael Brantley.

#571 Buck Turgidson, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    desihooper and MadMax like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Radricky

Radricky Member

Now people can stop clamoring for dick hole beli

mikol13 likes this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Unsurprisingly, no team was willing to give him 200 million after one good contract year. He has "pack it up, I got my money" written all over him.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Gorgeous swing. I hated him so much…but if I was a Giants fan he’d be among my favorites ever

16. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

lol that is gold

raining threes likes this.
  17. Radricky

Radricky Member

What is sotos throat full of?

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Joe Buck

19. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

Now they’ve resorted to hypotheticals lol how sweet it is. delusions of grandeur.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm reminded of a similar hypothetical from my youth which is NOT PC. If your Uncle cut off his dick he'd be your Aunt.

Stephen66 and kaw1988 like this.