1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clock is ticking on Jalen from Ime and Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He wasn't "productive" with that style either .... unless you consider being terribly inefficient productive.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think people are reading way too much into this.

Jalen is not that good at basketball, at least not yet, that's all there is to it.

it doesn't mean he's lazy or a bad guy, it just doesn't work out for everybody.

I don't think it's Ime's fault or the construction of the offense. I also don't fault Stone, he picked one of 2 guys the majority of other GMs would have picked.

I also don't think it matters if we traded him at the all star break or not. Jalen's value is likely minimal because of his poor play. Other teams can watch him play as well. No one was ever giving us some great haul for him. He'd just be filler in a trade.

Is this Roosh guy a former player/coach or just a rockets twitter guy? Seems pretty wild to be recommending lineups and training regimens to players (as he said he did in a different tweet here) if he's just a guy. Jalen, should definitely not be listening to people on Twitter he should be training based on the needs of his team, recommendations from coaches, and quality mentors.

rhino17, clos4life, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think Udoka should bench Green now. Give the fans what they want to see so that everyone can connect the dots for themselves for the remainder of this season. If I was in charge I'd try to move heaven and earth to acquire Donovan Mitchell in the offseason using practically anybody from this roster to make it happen.

cml750 likes this.
  4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

It is fair to try something else.
    My wish is

Sengun
    Smith
    Tari
    Cam
    Amen

but we will get

Sengun
    Smith
    Brooks
    Cam
    FVV

which is also cool

5. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

This Q wasn’t for me but it’s the wrong question. I could buy that maybe Jalen gives us a slightly better chance to win than Cam at this point in their careers, but further developing Jalen at Cam’s expense seems completely foolish.

And if we’re prioritizing making the play-in we should have tried to get someone like Hield or even a very mediocre guard like Kennard.

PWR likes this.
  6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Silas era brought us tons of draft capital & the most cap space in the NBA. In that, this made us attractive enough for Ime to take a meeting. Where were you during the tank? Trolling this message board saying the Rockets tank was horrible and begging on hands & knees (probably literally) for James Harden's return. You didn't even think we'd be this good in year 3. Terrible poster

34to11 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is all i see from a nobody. scrubs and bottom feeders like you don't concern me. never will

[​IMG]

8. PWR

PWR Member

If everyone is healthy and ready to go, give me a starting lineup of...

Fred - floor general
    (5.13 assist/turnover ratio)
    Cam - shooter
    (40% from three)
    Dillon - shooter
    (40% from three)
    Tari - best defender/glue guy
    (#1 in def. rating & +/-)
    Sengun - best offensive player
    (#1 in off. rating & rebounds)

Amen & Jabari still get 28-30 minutes per game off the bench as primary bench guys.

Jalen, Holiday, Jeff, and Tate can compete for secondary bench minutes. Time to make some people uncomfortable.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

How old are you YOLO?

the11mingdynasty and KingCheetah like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yolo and arguing with the low hanging fruit of Clutchfans... name a more iconic duo.

napalm06, A_3PO and Plowman like this.
  11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Stone is going to be in that position being a good little yes man saying 'yes daddy' to every single thing Tilman says he wants done.

Until the time little Patty steps into the position and says 'yes daddy' to every single thing Tilman says he wants done.

12. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

He has been disappointing, no doubt. I think they’ve kept playing him as a starter and haven’t cut bait because they want to give him every opportunity to break through and they want to be damn sure they’re not giving up on him too early, only to see him go to another team and put it all together. That’s the maddening thing about having a player who has the physical gifts and shows flashes. They’re not going anywhere this season anyway, so i think they want to give him the full season. I think you’re assuming a lot about his value and what offers may have been on the table, anyway. Maybe no one was lining up to trade for Green. He’s not doing himself any favors by making those comments anyway. It really says a lot about him, and none of it good. Good point about whether the comments were made in confidence. I think after this season if he hasn’t broken through convincingly, they’ll cut bait rather than pay him. This is all about answering the question “is he worth the money?” It’s not looking like it right now, and it’s painful to watch if you’re a fan of winning.

topfive likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Do we really want our youngest player dropped into the lineup and being forced to produce as a starter?

I prefer to think of it less as "developing Jalen at Cam's expense" and more as "not ruining another great prospect by giving him the pressure that comes with being a starter, while also seeing if our previous great prospect might still be salvageable."

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Or whether they were actually even made, for that matter.

No audio? No video? No proof.

harold bingo likes this.
  15. a time to chill

Stone has made it a necessity with his inaction at the deadline to bring in veteran shooting help. Udoka has to do something to bring a spark back to the starting lineup. Starting Cam rather than Green could be the spark we need. Letting Green soak up NBA minutes as a starter for the remainder of the season would be a mistake.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It’s been obvious since Jaylen’s first season that he couldn’t be a franchise center-piece, and it’s frustrating that we had to wait for it to become obvious, because now he has little trade value.

It’s also correct to fault stone, who succumbed to NBA group-think and passed on a 7 footer who was obviously going to be a good defender with additional offensive upside, to draft a 6-3 guard. The one that was 1st team all defense last season.

So yeah, we could just not look into it and assume Jaylen just isn’t good at basketball, or we can hold the org responsible and draw attention to the fact that this was a predictable outcome by anyone with passable knowledge of math and basketball.

People should understand that our org has a poor understanding of what drives player value, and that it will continue to impact our ability to create a winning team.

DaDakota likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was obvious to some of us before he was drafted - he had avg numbers in the Gleague, wasn't even a starter on his AAU team......sometimes it sucks to be right.

DD

Plowman likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Personally I think Jalen is still developing himself. Needs to fill out. He also needs to get a better understanding of his role and purpose on the court. The kid can influence outcomes we’ve all seen it however small the sample size may be. I think his shot can be fixed, but I understand those who think it cannot - hard to argue against the numbers. Jalen needs better awareness on how to get himself into the flow. Coming off the bench might be the best thing that ever happens to him. This is the time to tinker with the lineups and see who’s going to stick as I truly believe Stone and Udoka are going to try and land a veteran star level player in the offseason.

19. Damion Laverne

When does the clock start ticking on Stone?

daywalker02, AroundTheWorld and J.R. like this.
  20. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

I think we need to bring back his butt-buddy Josh Christopher back.