1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jalen doesn't have high IQ on or off the court. I do cut him some slack, He played with KPJ, so he inherited a bunch of bs that needs to be erased.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You're right but I think he did exactly what you're saying. In under 30 minutes, he went to the line 9 times, grabbed 4 rebounds, 2 steals and got 4 assists (to 1 TO which is incredible for 9 trips to the line and 4 assists). He was 16 points on just 9 shots inside the 2PT line. His defense was decent too. I'm actually quite happy about it. His recent development has been all about getting points close the basket more wisely and he's continued that trend.

The 3PT shot is still just infuriatingly over dramatic. On every shot he feels like he has to jump through the roof, release it faster than any shooter in the game and be able to do it stepping back or fading away. It's also maddening how inconsistent he is with it. On wide open 3pt shots (6+ feet of space) he's making 29% on 1 attempt - if you watch the film, he rushes these shots. But guess what - on open 3pt shots (4-6 feet of space) he's making 39% on 3+ attempts. This is why I'm not willing to give up on his 3pt shot. Seems more mental than mechanical.

My #1 issue with him this game is on that end of game possession where the ball surprisingly ended up in his hands, his drive on Achiuwa (or was it Sims?) was quite timid. He can beat that guy to the basket easily if he's decisive and makes his move instantly, there would have been a dunk or a wide open player for a kick out. Instead he made a half-assed drive to the rim and because of that 0.2 seconds of indecisiveness his bigger defender was able to stay with him and block the shot.

Luckily the ball ended up in the hands of one of our shooters and we made the critical shot. I would see this game as growth in the floor of his game rather than the ceiling.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man Jalen has been inheriting BS for like 5+ years now. 2 years under KPJ/Silas/tanking, before that a month with the useless G League Ignite who underdeveloped everyone, then before that just high school calibre leagues where he can take/make any shot he wants and not play defense. That's what Ime's dealing with. It's rare to find a player with that bad a background. I think they drafted him because they believed in the Ignite development more than they/we should have.

The habits are deep-rooted but you can see he's a good kid and WANTS to break them. Just relapses to those habits sometimes, but Ime is giving him the Pavlovian treatment which is what he really needs.

gfab-babyboi and Ancient Moabite like this.
  4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Good to hear. Definitely not giving up on his 3 ball. When he's on, he's fire. Just think he needs to work from the inside out regularly. I mean if he comes out and hits three in a row by all means, but if it's 0-3 switch it up.

Nice breakdown. Appreciate.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. anchel

anchel Member

His shooting selection is ok, he just cant buy a bucket. He's just a bad shooter, because his mechanics are bad.

Cant understand how in his 3rd year has not fixed that.

Same with handles. Most of TOs come from a narrow base, dribbles too high and out of balance, too often. That's fixable as well. He has the talent, but technique should have improved at this stage of his career.

We know he is a kid with good work ethic, he's just putting work of low quality. He needs to be better coached at the skill/technical level.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wow having Jalen start games by jacking 3's is not the best way to get him going???? No wayyyyy!

[​IMG]

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Me too although there is a case to be made for the Aaron Brooks type trade IF you feel like the Kyle Lowry behind him is the better player.

As high as I am on Cam, and the talent is through the roof, I don't know if there's any data to support that Cam would be more productive than Jalen would be next season. I know alot of folks here will swear that I'm crazy, and Cam is by far the better player, but the truth is they have no idea. Plugging Cam in as the starting 2 guard next season is probably a gamble. One that might pay off, but could blow up in your face... especially if your goal is to make the playoffs.

I know the Rockets THINK they are going "star hunting" and Jalen Green is going to be a centerpiece in that trade, but I just don't see it. The biggest "star" name I could see maybe shaking loose over the Summer is Klay Thompson, or in Free Agency maybe signing Harden. There is no world in which a Giannis, or Luka shakes loose for the Rockets. And the next James Harden out there is more likely to already be on our roster than the roster of a contending team. So I think it's a fools errand what they are trying to promote they are doing star hunting and the expectations they are setting with Jalen Green. The truth (IMO) is that if you are trading Jalen this Summer I think it's like the best package you get back is 2 first round picks, and salary. Maybe you get a decent veteran back, but that decent veteran player is probably more of a Jeff Green type instead of Mikeal Bridges.

My Point: if you trade Jalen Green you better damn well know that Cam Whitmore or someone else is a clear upgrade.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree. I think we'll know better by the trade deadline next year if we want to sign a better SG as a starter or continue with Green. Our draft this year might land us the most promising future player yet. By that, I mean Reid Sheppard, or another really versatile guard who can shoot well from behind the arc. We definitely need someone who can not only drive to the rim, but is a threat from the 3.

dobro1229, REEKO_HTOWN and Jontro like this.
  9. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

He has a good work ethic, but it doesn't seem like coaching is the problem to me. I just don't get the vibe he cares much about winning. Kobe would get furious if another player got hot on him and would double down on defense. I see Jalen tending to shrug after a missed defensive assignment and just waiting for his turn to score again.

tagedieb likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don’t think we’re drafting a player this year. I’m 90% convinced we trade that pick for future assets that will be used to get Stone’s “star” at the deadline

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Another pathetic 42% TS% game by Jalen.... he's just not a starting caliber player and never has been. It's time for this experiment to end.

GotGame15, Entropy and Sengoat28 like this.
  12. conquistador#11

I like the thought but this could get tricky. let's say the the Brooklyn pick ends up being the third pick. Only 1 player, as of now, that I see other bad teams wanting to move up for. The only reasonable options to trade with by then would be the 9-14 seeds. And those teams future assets won't be as enticing if they make the slightest of improvement. Hawks, Jazz, Lakers refuse to blow it up, Bulls refuse to blow it up. I can see all those teams close to .500 all over again next year.

I would draft someone that will contribute but that will leave coach Ime sounding like The Fuhrer, "What am I supposed to do with him? " Another rook.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Alot of it is really just about shooting in general too. It really might not take any elite talent other than that to ultimately convince Ime to move Jalen to the bench. If someone is acquired or develops talent as a shooter, can defend as well, and that really opens the floor up for the offense to break out of it's shell right now then maybe we see that change the dynamic.

deb4rockets likes this.
  14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

LOL

Just a hint of...

15. MystikArkitect

Jalen is shooting 31% from 3. He takes 6.6 of them per game.

SGA shoots 36.9% from 3. He takes 3.3 of them per game. Josh Giddey is a 33% 3 point shooter on 3 attempts per game. This coaching staff doesn't find it problematic that Jalen Green consistently shoots us out of games that we eventually lose by 1-5 points? A Jalen Green 3 is pretty much akin to a Jaesean Tate 3 (30% from 3).

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I was literally thinking this the other day, a Jalen 3 is essentially a Tate 3 at this point.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jalen's ball handling is already suspect, now he needs to play points guard which means more dribbling, more passes and therefore way more chances of turnovers

18. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen has gone at more than a few players - Booker Murray Murray Young Edwards etc etc .. specially if they start talking trash - I think he’s a good Beta and not an Alpha …can’t that switch be flipped - hard to say

intergalactic likes this.
  19. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Ok I'm glad you've seen it. I haven't watched enough full games-- will have to look for that more. It doesn't bother me if he's not the team alpha. But you need some dawg in you to win, like PJ Tucker has won despite almost no basketball skills.

daywalker02 and gfab-babyboi like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's harder than peeps think to get an NBA strong body.... even with an improved mindset and all.

intergalactic likes this.