1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Referee Ed Malloy says last minute call against Brunson was a mistake

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Feb 13, 2024.

?

Was it a foul?

1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA is all calling those for and against you just alike, but when you don't have a superstar, those willl be called against you in the Playoffs.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Damn. If this (correct) logic was always followed NBA fouls would drop by 40% overnight.

3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

And lots of ankles will break (literally) overnight too, because you can bet players will start undercutting other players. But it’s not a foul because ball has been released!

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I can tell you feel strongly about undercutting, enough to bring it into a conversation where I didn't mention it, so I don't think we're going to agree that all "almost undercuts" are undercuts. So I guess enjoy being mad about undercutting.

I would call this specific foul because it 100% impacted the shot. The argument that "fouls change at the end of the game" has always been 100% illogical. The part I quoted is logical.

NBA reffing is not logical. It's subjective and unwatchable.

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

"The contact which occurred after the release of the ball therefore is incidental and marginal to the shot attempt and should not have been called."

No this explanation isn’t logical. Undercuts occur after the release of the ball and therefore don’t affect the shot attempts. By this logic undercuts are not fouls.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Give me a break. All this crying over 1/82.

Blame the Knicks for being in a fight with these lowly Rockets.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

boo hoo. Only against Houston would all these people be up in arms about this

everyday eddie and Rocket River like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. LIstening to SiriusXM for a bit today, a lot of the people were saying it was a bad call. With that worst-of-all hosts Rick Kamla saying he thought they would reverse the decision and replay the game at the end of the season or something. I can't tell if he was just saying it to get clicks/agitate users/get callers or what, but sadly, it does sound like something he'd usually say in normal conversation.

Antonio Daniels, who is his co-host on the show and probably thinks he's an idiot, just laughed and said these type of plays happen all the time. Even more egregious ones than this and none of those get reversed.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Y’all remember when Harden made a basket but refs didn’t see the ball go in, points were never added, and we lost by 2 against the spurs lol

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Damn. Forgot about that play. It was a dunk, too. If that can happen and the KD taking a cruise out of bounds while the referee stood there and watched with no call, we're owed a few.

11. AXG

AXG Member

There was some slight contact. It's usually not called at the end of the game. This may be the only time I can recall where it went in the Rockets favor.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No no, the "people" are up in arms about this because it was against a NY team that is relevant.

If it were us against the Blazers nobody (media) would not give two sh*ts.

BamBam and Rocket River like this.
  13. rocket43

rocket43 Member

Hey Knicks fans, this was also a foul.

[​IMG]

14. TimDuncanDonaut

NY and national media
    [​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On other sports, I think you are greatly mistaken about football. I've had a hard time watching football and basketball because how the refs call a game can affect the winner. NFL has pass interence and holding that occurs a lot and involves a lot of subjective nature. Roughing the QB only seems to matter if the QB is established. Refs just can't keep up with the speed, strength of basketball and football players and refs typically are guessing on a lot of plays as they can't tell what actually happened due to the speed of the players. I don't think the refs deserve all the blame. Players and teams push the boundaries putting refs in difficult positions. Players flop. Players do illegal screens and force the refs to make ticky tack calls or let them get an advantage over the other team.

On baseball, it isn't as bad as football and basketball, but home teams get better calls at the plate. While the strike zone is objective, pitches move really fast meaning umpires use subjective things like the count, pitcher, and batter to guess on pitches that are close (i.e., 2 inches inside or outside zone). Catchers frame pitches to trick the umpires into calling strikes. A decade ago, the best catchers could steal enough strikes to steal about 4 wins in a season. Luckily with improved technology, teams have gotten better at training catchers at stealing strikes that the difference between the best and worst framers is down to about 1-2 wins. If baseball goes to an automated strike zone, baseball will have removed a lot of the subjective error in umpires, but there is a large segment against getting balls and strikes right. Home teams get better calls at the plate.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

This guy works for MSG and ESPN and seems to be suggesting some sort of conspiracy. Can’t believe their fans and employees are acting like this was another Lakers/Kings Game 6 or something. :D

18. lpbman

lpbman Member

Yes it was a foul, but Sengun also traveled in slow motion and got away with it, and there free throw disparity doesn't fit the aggressiveness of each team. Knicks were taking the ball to the rack hard and often... not getting calls. In general, they have a legit complaint. The last second heave... not so much.

If you're going to let em play, or call it tight.... it has to go both ways. I don't like winning or losing by the whims of the refs.

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I think the fact that there are people crying conspiracy in favor of the lowly fighting-for-the-playin Rockets against the freaking Knicks is proof that there really is no conspiracy on any direction. Stupid **** happens all the time and the fans on the losing end of it will cry. It's an endless cycle. I don't get how it can be a conspiracy if the guy himself who made the call went out and said it was a wrong call.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

After the Harden Dunk was called Non Dunk ... . . . I don't even care anymore
    It got no more obvious than that

Rocket River