1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl LVIII

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 29, 2024.

?

Who Wins Super Bowl LVIII?

1. Chiefs

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. 49ers

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

All Mahomes needed was to be drafted to a playoff ready team with a good defense, front office, HOF coach and tight end. Who knew?

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great quarterbacks score when it counts. You have to give him that. You can never presume your lead will hold when Mahomes has time left to do what he's done many times.

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I could have sworn I heard the announcer say Chris Jones was the only guy who's left during these Superbowl runs. They have replaced players smartly since Mahomes first stepped on the field. They always seem to be able to stay strong, with new wide receivers and running backs and defensive players.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Two thoughts:

That incident took place at the 12 minute mark of the 2nd quarter.

Kelce's stat line at that point? 1 catch for 1 yard.

Kelce's stat line after that? 8 catches for 92 yards.

They likely do not win that game without him.

Maybe the Superbowl is not the best time to get into a dick-measuring contest with your HOF tight end and team's best offensive weapon.

Plenty of time between now and August to sort their differences out.

_____

The Swifties (whom were largely suspicious of Kelce before this) are now in full-blown crisis mode after that incident.

I can't say I disagree with them. Kelce has anger management issues. Always has.

If he's willing to assault (make no mistake, that's what it was) his 65-year-old coach like that during the ****ing Superbowl (100M+ people watching) it really calls into question what the guy does behind closed doors.

ROCKSS and Sajan like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I mean look at what they got for Tyreek:

A_3PO likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Totally fair. But when you finish with the best record in your conference and are a couple of plays away from winning a Super Bowl, I think you're a little bit better than "Any Given Sunday."

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The Chiefs defense really hasn't been "good" during the Mahomes era until this year.

This year they were outstanding both in coverage and rushing the passer, but they can be run on.

Give credit where credit is due. Mahomes is not some spoon-fed goober falling ass backwards into championships a la early Brady.

8. noize

noize Contributing Member

Great game, great half time show. I love early 2000ish pop music and R & B. For the record, Usher does not lip-sync period. Me and my wife was at his Residency Tour in Vegas two years ago, and that he struggled at the end a bit with all of the dancing.

With that said, I feel a bit sad that The Chiefs defense are not being recognized enough for their effort especially Chris Jones (my MVP) for disrupting the Niners O-line all night. The pressure he puts on Purdy to prevent a touchdown win in OT was huge! As great as Mahomes is, he wouldn't be able to put in that position to work his magic without his defense.

JayGoogle likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

This is exactly what I told my wife.

Chris Jones was the real MVP. He blew up so many 49er plays. Made a tremendous impact on the game.

The Chiefs DBs were fantastic as well. But Jones set the tone from wire to wire.

ArtV and ROCKSS like this.
  10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Agreed and lets give the 49ers D credit, they shut him down for the first half, sometimes the other side is better and the 49ers were mauling them in the first half. Mahomes and the Chiefs took advantage of miscues by the niners late in the game. Great teams capitalize on the errors of their opponents

deb4rockets likes this.
  11. noize

noize Contributing Member

That's a very interesting take. If you're gonna hold him to that high of a standard he would be better than Tom Brady which he clearly isn't at the moment. Even Tom himself has his share of "unforgivable" games stat-wise through out his championship run. But, he's so great because he wins them when it counts regardless of how poorly he plays.

Also keep in mind, that this Kansas City receivers/RB are mediocre relative to the top 10 team in the league and when you put them in the biggest stage against some great D, its not always going to look pretty.

#251 noize, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    deb4rockets likes this.
  12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I disagree. I think Mahomes right now is a better player than prime Tom Brady was. He doesn't have the resume yet, but as a player, there's nothing that Brady could do that Mahomes can't.

No he doesn't. Brady's 3rd ring came when he was 27 years old. His 4th ring came when he was 37 years old.

mtbrays likes this.
  13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe someone is arguing that Mahomes isn't on track to enter the pantheon of all-time QBs. Has any team ever handed him the ball with a deficit and two minutes left and thought they were going to win? He's automatic at this point.

ROCKSS, DonnyMost and deb4rockets like this.
  14. SuraGotMadHops

Alicia Keys was bangin man. She glows up more and more with age.

ElPigto, ROCKSS and Sajan like this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Like I said, they did what it took to stay strong through the years. Let's hope we build better around Deshaun this year, and fill some of our weakest parts of the team with backups and replacements. I just hope our offensive line can stay healthier than this year, and sure wouldn't mind drafting another player to add to that core protecting Watson, and one that can push forward to give our RB more gaps to run.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

If Brady had played yesterday instead of Mahomes, maybe they wouldn't have won. Who knows. Brady was a pocket passer, and Mahomes was scrambling like crazy to make plays. His ability to throw on the run, or run for the first down is a huge asset.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Brady sees the field so much better than Mahomes ever has. What makes Mahomes special is his ability to extend and make plays.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

People give Mahomes Credit for leaving clean pockets too much. He was the reason their offense struggled for much of the game and they found a spark/rhythm after the ST error.

Brady wins that game by 10-14 in regulation last night.

Brady is extremely underrated as a pocket passer. Not sure why athleticism is equated to being better. Just isn't the case.

19. tmacfor35

I've seen Brady win Rings with his best player on the field being Julian Edleman.

Mahomes has the best receiving TE of all time and an offense backed by the greatest offensive mind of all time.

Patrick Mahomes is a great player, but that level of Qbing was nothing to write home about for almost all of the game.

That pick alone, should have put the game away.

People can say wins are wins, but look up the stats in the SB. Compare Brady and Mahomes. It isn't even close when the lights are the brightest.

Pat has largely struggled compared to his regular season stats.

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I will not disrespect Mahomes. He is on the path if not already one of the GOATs. KC does not win last night without Mahomes. KC was dead multiple times in the second half and miraculous Mahomes scrambled for first downs.

This is like a Jordan Kobe LeBron debate.