1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

His ceiling is Andre Iguodala. I don't see Jason Kidd out there.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Guys, it's too early to write Amen off as a PG.

Nook, OremLK and clos4life like this.
  3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

One thing I really like about Amen - is he pulls down contested rebounds.

Offensively, defensively, it doesn't matter.

He will get them over other players also contesting them.

Whereas all these recent high rebounding games from Jalen, I can't remember a single one that was contested.

ramotadab, Y2JT and BallSoHarden like this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

People out here saying to give Jalen Green more time and yet refusing to see Amen's potential. How about, just like JG, we give the rook some time to develop? His shot is super ugly but he could improve. He might not, but he might.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

At risk of sounding like a broken record, Amen is a breathtaking athlete. He gets off the floor so ****ing fast when he's in deep, and he makes dunks out of nothing.

It's almost Montrezl like, except Harrell did it with his wingspan and I feel like Amen is just bouncier than everyone else on the floor. It's as if he's playing on Mars gravity while the rest of us are earthbound

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's going to be a better assist guy than Iggy if he plays starter minutes IMO. As a 20-year-old rookie, his assist rate per 100 possessions is already almost identical to Iggy's average for his entire career. So unless you think Amen won't get better at ballhandling and passing at all, or I guess if you think he won't be able to start due to his shooting limitations, it's hard to see how he doesn't end up generating better assist numbers.

As far as whether his ultimate outcome is more of a 7 or 8 assist guy at his peak, or double digit assists like Kidd (in which case Amen might well average a triple-double given his rebounding acumen)... That will depend on how much he improves.

BigMaloe, ramotadab and Y2JT like this.
  7. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

How about point center?

Being a little facetious, but I would legitimately love to see some smallball lineups with Amen-Jabari-Tari or Amen-Jabari-Dillon as the biggest 3 players, and Amen playing offensively as the “5” — as the screener in spread PnR, and then rolling to the rim or jump passing out of the short roll.

Use his rim pressure and playmaking from the middle of the court with 4 shooters around him. We don’t have any PnR bigs so it’s hard for us to create those situations in the halfcourt right now otherwise.

Defensively obviously that group would be great against reserve units.

Basically Amen’s rebounding, weak side rim protection, and offense around the rim are better than any backup big we have, so why play our backup bigs?

joshuaao, BigMaloe, ramotadab and 2 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Amen does look a bit like Ausar.

ramotadab likes this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Precious few PGs average 10+ APG. It's a bogus standard to throw at Amen. Most average 6-8.

The in-game and post-game knee-jerking around here is as strong as ever, especially the negative.

Nook, ramotadab and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I’d be more concerned if he was a great driver but was lacking in some of the elite elite pass quality we have seen.

Handle will come around. It is nowhere near Jalen rookie level loose.

ramotadab likes this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Kid is special on defense

Y2JT, BaselineFade, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Love his all around game. If he ever learns how to shoot, watch out

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Great game tonight. His defense and rebounding was great

14. Strawberry Gum

I want to watch Tari and Amen smothering the offenses together with those claws of theirs.

Y2JT, BaselineFade, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We need them badly for rebounding. Sengun and Jabari have Trex arms and can't jump, we need length elsewhere

16. RUDYG

RUDYG Member

For those old enough to remember Amen’s game resembles a young Scottie Pippen.
    His defense, bad shooting, rebounding, and his athleticism. Hopefully he turns out like or better

GotGame15 likes this.
  17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I am so giddy watching Amen, his defensive awareness is off the charts - no coach is telling him to leave his man to double the guy with the ball late in the shot clock. That is phenomenal instincts of when to do it to blow up the other team's offense late in the clock. You cannot teach that awareness. Amen is already elite defensively. Thank god one of our young guns are because it is a thing of beauty to watch.

Give me that grit, IQ and awareness, effort on the defensive end any day of the week over a flashy dunk every couple of games.. oh wait... he also does those too with his ability to read defenses offensively and knowing when to move.

The Rockets got a damn good one with Amen - he already is so much further along in his development to becoming a reliable full-time player - than other youngsters on the roster. As a rookie. Without a jump shot. I'm not worried in the slightest that he won't be in the gym as his career progresses to improve that aspect.

When he has the confidence to blatantly attack up the court in the half court instead of looking to defer to others, oh boy.

He and Alpi with more minutes on the court together is going to develop very, very nicely. Add into that scenario the outside threat from Cam. In the words of a Charlotte Hornets announcer - GOOD GOLY!

18. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Jabari has long arms but he has no center of gravity so he gets pushed around by opponents (even guards) and takes a while to gather a footing. It’s like he is still fight half of his body (upper body wants to do this but lower half wants to do other) never seen a NBA player that still cannot control his body. Jabari is the guy you know he’s gonna make it or brick the shot soon as he release the ball due to that reason

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

He just does all the right things on the basketball court. Stays within himself and contributes in any way he can. Pair that with his elite athleticism and excellent size and you have, at worst, a very special roleplayer. If his shooting, and to a lesser degree his ballhandling, can be fixed, I think he will fix them. If not, I still don't think it was a bad draft pick, he will still be a solid contributor.

Snow Villiers likes this.