1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros wanted Bynum for Kent

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKMAN, Sep 6, 2004.

1. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=insidedishbeltransgoingt&prov=tsn&type=lgns

<i>The A's pursuit of Astros 2B Jeff Kent stalled when the A's wouldn't assume the approximately $1.6 million remaining on Kent's contract, but the Astros had identified the player they wanted--OF Freddy Bynum, who is 37-for-46 in stolen-base attempts between Class AA and AAA this season. . . . </i>

Interesting, its appearing more and more likely that the Astros won't even attempt to reisign Beltran.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros are particulary weak in the speed department (as well as OF). It is not surprising at all (regardless of their Beltran intentions) that they would pursue a speedy outfielder.

Bynum's stats were very pedestrian. He hit around .275 at AA and AAA.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wily Taveras and Josh Anderson?

Jimerson had more steals than this guy too.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just because you have 2 or 3 doesn't mean you can't have more. My point was that it would not be unusual to see the Astros try to stockpile some young, speedy outfielders and that trying to acquire a minor league outfielder does not signify the Astros intentions regarding Beltran.

That being said, I doubt that Anderson is ready to jump from A ball to the majors. If he is a prospect, he is at least 2-3 years away from joining the majors.

Jimerson hit .234 in AA. he is a ways away from being ready.

At least Bynum has AAA experience.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In your own words, Bynum's a fairly pedestrian prospect. We have Taveras (who is now gonna get some MLB time doing some pinch running work) who led the Texas League in batting and stolen bases. Behind him, Josh Anderson, who was an offensive machine. Behind him, the Astros spent their first two picks on speedy outfielder types (Pence and Parraz).

I agree that it means nothing wrt Beltran. But mainly because Bynum is already being groomed as a utility player. In AAA he logged 10+ games at SS, 2B, 3B, and the OF. I don't think you do that with a legit CF prospect.

6. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

When it comes to outfielders, don't forget Mitch Einertson.

The guy hit 24 HR's in 63 games for the Martinsville Astros.