1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Saban retires

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 10, 2024.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Shut the **** up. Lol.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Where does A&M rank?? About 10-15% of their alumni are racist a**holes so that's a plus.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

People forget how bad Alabama was between Bear Bryant and Saban. Alabama just has more money than LSU.

mtbrays likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Money and facility wise TAMU is probably underrated!

But it's definitely not in the UT, TOSU, Mich, ND, USC tier. At best you can argue under but close to LSU, non-Saban hype BAMA, OU level.

Basically, TAMU has the money and fans to compete with anyone if they had a special coach like Saban, but TAMU cant easily attract those coaches, and when it's tried they whiff. If Clemson can be good, TAMU should be good.

Racists are everywhere, but yeah, **** the Aggie racists. For what it's worth, when I was at TAMU it had more black students than UT.

#64 Ziggy, Jan 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Grow up, bozo.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Bama will be a very very interesting case study. They are bleeding talent badly right now and I don't think their boosters have not been fully indoctrinated to NIL to stop it. I think many of them will have some serious sticker shock after being used to the Saban discount kids were giving.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Although it's a different era now, the "case study" for my opinion are the years between Bear Bryant and Nick Saban.

8. Buck Turgidson

It was only 24 years b/t the 2, and they won a National Championship in that span.

Yes, they were a mixed bag during that time (finished ranked 14 of those years, top-10 in 7) but every major college football program I can think of has had a spell like that, or worse.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, they are just like every other major program basically. Not ND or tOSU-level special. They just get recency bias due to a great coach. I will say it AGAIN. Georgia is the better job right now. Do NOT @ me.

10. Buck Turgidson

ND hasn't won a Natty since 1988 (Nebraska has won 2.5 since then). tOSU has won 2 since 1970.

Georgia is the better job right now just like Miami was better than FSU who was better than Florida who was better than Miami who was better than FSU until now.

It's all cyclical.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not talmbout BETTER at titles and winning. Talmbout better job. Yale has more titles than UT, UT is the better job. BUT, BUT, Yale isn't in a REAL conference anymore, yada yada yada, fine! UT is a better job than Minnesota. And OU. NEXT

12. Buck Turgidson

Alight let's talmabout this, Bozo. Jobs in no order:

Tier 1:

OU
    ND
    tOSU
    UT
    Bama
    LSU
    USC
    Mich

Tier 2:

FSU
    Auburn
    TAMU
    Penn St
    Clemson
    Washington
    Florida
    Oregon
    Tennessee

Tier 3:

UCLA
    Wisconsin
    Iowa
    Nebraska?
    Missouri
    Ol' Miss the Confederacy so much
    Tech
    TCU
    North Carolina

?eh? Who I am I forgetting?

13. Nook

Nook Member

Brah...... he was very close to winning the title this year. I don't think the NIL had anything to do with it. He is just old and it takes a lot to run Alabama football.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't hate it but ain't NO WAY Tech & TCU are in the same tier as those teams. Like.... 70 tiers lower more like.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I highly doubt that they wanted Sark. While he had a strong season this year, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire at his other head coach stops.

Lanning hasn't been a head coach long - but has been very successful. Norvell has had some degree of success at Memphis and FSU, but not really anymore than DeBoer has had.

Really none of the other candidates have had more success than DeBoer, but I will say Lanning did have connections in the South.

Whatever - there is a real chance that both DeBoer and Sark are not coaching at Bama and UT in 5 years - things change quickly and Saban and Royal are not coming back.

mtbrays likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Fair.

I'll replace Tech with UH (as we all should, always). TCU stays.

Who else ya got...Miss State? Coach Prime Technical College? Jerry Falwell Bible School?

#76 Buck Turgidson, Jan 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  17. Buck Turgidson

That goes for every college program from now into infinity and beyond

Nook likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

#78 J.R., Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    tinman likes this.