1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2024 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 24, 2023.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Damn, Jim Crane has been awesome, but come on Jim extend Alex and Kyle. If Kansas Fkn City can do that . . . . .

2. awc713

awc713 Member

3. Mattician

Mattician Member

Everyone's gonna remember this at the end of the season.

4. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

He was 0-11 with one run scored in three games, might want to STFU, be humble and do better…..

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its cause ever since he put on a fraudger uniform, he clearly has no clue what a real World Series is.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was surprised Alavarez signed the extension. I guess he is worried about his health. If he stays healthy, he will get a Judge type deal. If he gets injured he will still be set for life.

The Beard likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All these guys are worried about their health… hence why they want 10-12 year deals that aren’t inflation-proof, nor is there a chance to get multiple contracts in their prime years.

Yordan does have the option of signing another extension to get a sort of market correction (presuming he’s healthy/producing). Crane did that with Altuve at a time where Jose had little leverage, so not unprecedented.

raining threes likes this.
  8. The Beard

Some people ripped on Altuve for signing the extension early on, but I remember him talking about it saying he isn't sure he would have been as good as he turned out had he not signed it. Said from the moment he signed the extension he had no stress about money for the rest of his life and he knew it

I think for some of these guys it's more about the status of getting to a certain number than it is about the actual money, we have gotten to the point that it's not easy to spend the amount of money these guys are making now

Nick likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You have to remember where these guys came from. They probably thought 2 million would have set them up for life.

Rileydog likes this.
  10. The Beard

His first extension was for 12.5 million if I remember right.

You absolutely can be set up for life on that amount

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But if you were 1000% better at your job than your co-worker... and yet your co-worker is getting paid 3x as much simply because of when he joined the company... you'd probably expect some reparations to eventually come your way.

Most companies do have to do market corrections in situations like that. Alvarez will get his too (just like Altuve eventually got). I do agree that sometimes getting early huge pay-days will stifle one's desire to improve/develop... (whereas vice versa u can still be highly motivated, even if you're already "set for life").

12. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

and that first million is way more important than any other million. Just like the first five million is much more important than the next 10 million. It is entirely a matter of perspective, especially if you came from nothing.

raining threes and The Beard like this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

An analytics question.

How do you get peak level rest for a team who expects to go deep into the playoffs?

1. While there is individual variation, would you consider 165 games to be close to the optimum number of games for the year including playoff games?

2. With the expanded playoff format, there are a minimum of 11 games and a maximum of 22 games in post season. So roughly 16 games can be expected.

3. If the above work, a player at his peak at age 27 would need (165-16 = 139; 162-139 = 13 games off in the regular season)

4. Add a day per year over age 27 for the baseline.

So seasonal rest baseline for this season will be:

Abreu 37 13+10 = 23 games rest
    Altuve 34 13+7 = 20 games rest
    Bregman 30 13+3 = 16 games rest
    McCormick 29 13+2 = 15 games rest
    Meyers 28 13+1 = 14 games rest
    Alvarez 26 13+0 = 13 games rest
    Tucker 26 13+0 = 13 games rest
    Pena 26 13+0 = 13 games rest
    Diaz 25 13+0 = 13 games rest

or 140 games from the bench or a DH day off as a baseline/

5. We know even a young healthy C needs more than that, so add about 30 to his 13 giving him 43. these would be covered by C2 off the bench.

6. Now is where it get's interesting. You'd like to keep good hitters in the line-up, so you would like Diaz to play his 30 games in a non catcher role elsewhere in the line up. My own preference is not at DH so we don't lose the DH if he has to move to C in an emergency or a late inning PH situation. The obvious one is 1B which can provide Abreu his rest as well. This permits a move to C without losing the DH. I don't know where else in the field he has played in the past, but that would be considered.

7. Rest in the OF should be simple enough between Tucker, Meyers, McCormick and Alvarez.

8. The IF would get the bulk of their rest at DH with Bench replacements in field duty.

All this would be adjusted as needed, but it would greatly reduce rest on an ad hock basis as a cover. I imagine Espada and the analyst are working on such optimization ideas if we swing back away from gut feelings et al.

I'll stop here to keep the eyes from glazing over.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

In a perfect world this may work but human beings and a 162 game MLB season just don't work that way unfortunately.

There will be injuries and illnesses.

If a player misses 3 games in a row for the flu or 9 with a tweaked ankle then those don't count the same as rest being spread out a game st a time.

So those 140 games will inevitably turn into 200+ (just 1 10 day IL spot per month).

I think younger guys need less scheduled rest and can also make up missed time by skipping scheduled off days later if needed because of someone else out, the team simply needing the best on the field, or something else.

I would consider off days to either keep younger guys at less demanding positions in the lineup and give others multiple days off.

I would take position into account more than just catcher= up the middle is more physically demanding than corner.

Also, a day off in September has more value than a day off in April.

Finally I would give 1/2 days off for DH play.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

he's lucky adam silver exists, otherwise he would be the worst sports commish of my lifetime

17. Buck Turgidson

Selig...Goodellbot...Manfred/Silver, ManfredMann, whoever

18. Radricky

Radricky Member

How about now

raining threes, jim1961 and Bregatron like this.
  19. Radricky

Radricky Member

Why the **** do these b****es get to wear the gold jerseys multiple times? I thought it was an opening weekend thing.

20. Buck Turgidson

Because they won the World Series and who the **** cares what they wear?

raining threes and CheezeyBoy22 like this.