1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Apple+ Series] Masters of the Air (Spielberg & Hanks)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

From the team that brought us Band of Brothers:

Andre0087, ryan_98, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Droppped today and it is AMAZING !

DD

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Looks good, is there anything woke in it?

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

looking forward to this

Band of Brothers might be the best TV/movie ever.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Looks cool.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Watched the first two episodes. Great stuff... the actors are likeable, they balance story development and action, and geez... anyone that went up in the Fortresses must have had balls of steel.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I only saw Band of Brothers all the way through for the first time just recently within the last month and saw The Pacific when it aired. This seems worthy of a reactivation of my Apple+ account ever since Ted Lasso ended.

I see that Dale Dye is serving as senior military advisor again on this one- he played Colonel Sink in BoB and played bit parts in Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, and many other projects. But it is his role as military advisor on the sets of these projects that brings the authenticity.

I know that during the “boot camp” for the actors involved during The Pacific, they did things such as piping in sounds from the enemy from deep in the jungles where they were training to simulate the psychological element of warfare and they separated the Japanese actors from the actors portraying the American soldiers until it was time to film the combat scenes, etc.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Okay, but is it spongeworthy?

mikol13 and Blake like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watched the first two last night after the game. Agree, the military history aspect of flying is well done. I don't think the character development is as good as Band of Brothers or the Pacific. Also it is a bit more of a CGI-fest (for obvious reasons) than either of the other two. Still worth watching--hoping they flesh out some of the characters and story lines over the full run.

Salvy likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Being that this series is about the B-17 runs, theyll have to flesh out some characters, as there wont be many left.

Blake likes this.
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the whole bro's being bros vibe isn't really working for me. Maybe that's how pilots are, but the Band of Brothers characters were more believable.

Butler and Turner are not believable as leaders of men. They look like children compared to Lts. Winters/Compton/Speirs, and they are majors!

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There will be plently of flesh out of the characters once they are flying over Germany. Flesh out on the floors. Flesh out on the walls. Flesh out all over the place.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Uh yea…. This is good.

Andre0087 likes this.
  14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Enjoyed the first two episodes. Cannot imagine flying in one of those under heavy fire. My wife’s grandfather was a gunner in the bottom. Seems like the worst spot.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was. Mortality was like 2× as high as the rest of the crew. I want to say it was the most dangerous job in the air, statistically, maybe most dangerous job period in all of the military? Google just came back with 60% chance of death as the ball gunner. If not the absolute most dangerous job it was one of the handful of most dangerous.

#15 Ottomaton, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    Buck Turgidson and Blake like this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Do your kids have giant freaking stones? Because that's what it took to do that job. They didn't call it 'ball gunner' because it was in a little ball.

17. Buck Turgidson

You have the weirdest complaints, "leaders of men" my ass.

Those 2 actors are 31ish. So was Damian Lewis when he played a 23 yo Dick Winters (he made Major at the age of 27ish) at the start of Band of Brothers. Compton was about 22, Spiers was about 24 when D-Day happened.

The average age of a bomber pilot in the 8th Air Force in 1942 was about 27.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

First 3 episodes are great, all of these shows by them are amazing.

DD

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

While it's not quite on par with Band of Brothers or The Pacific, it's pretty close. And I only say that because the previous 2 shows, especially BoB, set an impossibly high bar. Much like The Pacific, it carries a slightly different tone than Bob because it depicts a different aspect of the war, so it takes a few episodes to settle into the story as well as the use of the CG. Masterful filmmaking all the same though, and it's putting me in a war movie mood.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

They're saying that Hanks' "Greyhound" was the naval equivalent of these shows.

It was a great movie, but a proper series about the naval war in the Pacific (sorry, Pearl Harbor and Midway) would be the natural next thing to do, and I hope they do it.