1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

2-3 with Green having one of the highest +/- in that stretch out of the starters during that stretch which means his teammates didn't step up rather than it having to do with him.

Are you saying that 30 ppg 4 apg 7 RPG on 59% ts is only impressive because Green's bar is so low!

So you would say that Jabari didn't have an excellent 2 weeks if he averaged that over 5 games?

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its comedy. Last week it was "none of the ROX core is available" now its "Jalen Green would be moved for a STAR LEVEL PLAYER" and so that must mean they dont like any of the roster as constructed right? So the Jaters take the new rumors and hold hands while they continue their charade of being fans and acting like they could run an NBA team better than the people entrusted in those roles.

We just traded for a guy who wont even touch the court until next season and everyone does the usual ClutchFans thing and hyper focuses on their nose and this season! So why are we making moves thinking ahead? Hmmmm. Lateral thinking is not this groups forte thats for sure.

3. fchowd0311

That's why he is up there with LeBron and Durant and Shaq all time in most 30 pt games with 70% ts before turning 22.

You got to jack up a lot of shots to get 70% ts.

Green isn't really a guy who takes 25+ attempts even when he's hot.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

while losing to teams like portland and the nets. and playing charlotte in that span. also just losing to nop without zion

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

he takes the most shots and is the most inefficient of the relevant options on this rockets

6. fchowd0311

Okay so is he the only person on the team? Maybe not blame the guy with the highest +/- during that stretch out of the starters?

Again, would you dismiss a 2 week stretch of Bari averaging 30 ppg on 59% ts with 4 apg and 7 RPG with the highest +/- out of the starters in that span?

anthony59237 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

I never cared about empty stats. It isn't specific to JG

I'd care a lot less if the rockets are losing.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Agree that Bridges is what he is and I agree that Jalen Green likely has a lot of room to improve.

The issue is complicated though.

First, the gulf between Bridges and Green right now is pretty big when it comes to help a team win basketball games. Green has the higher ceiling without a doubt but he also has to improve quite a bit to be as good as Bridges is.

Second, Green is going to soon demand a contract, likely at or near the max and for many years in the near future. The Rockets have to decide if they want that type of commitment.

Third, the elephant in the room is that Cam Whitmore is going to be ready to start very soon. Green plays the same position. Green isn't a good enough passer to play point guard - and Amen Thompson is making fast improvement.

Jags, jcmoon, Rocketeer and 2 others like this.
  9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Oops... I did not.

My :confused:

10. Nook

Nook Member

He is a good player - but not a franchise player. He is a 3rd best player on a title contender.

As for why he is overrated, I think it is because he blew up after leaving Phoenix, and everyone remembers him scoring 25-27 points a game.

Deuce, xaos and OremLK like this.
  11. fchowd0311

Can you show me plays of Cam Whitmore doing anything against set half court defenses? His scoring profile is basically that of KMJ with a better jump shot. That doesn't replace Green who can collapse set defenses at will off the dribble? I think here has been one play in a set half court defenses he beat a bigman off the dribble for a lay in but it was a bigman.

Cam has to show a lot more in terms of being able to attack set half court defenses to be considered as someone who can replace Green.

Little Bit likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't think he's overrated at all.

Nobody here has called him a franchise player. The consensus I've seen is most folks realize is he's a damn good 2 way player which is the truth. Who provides intangibles, good vet presence, and very high durability

13. fchowd0311

Why do you say the gap is so large even now?

I usually don't like advanced stats as people use them out of context so often but Green literally has a better DBPM than Bridges and a similar VORP.

And that's them currently with Bridges in his prime and Green nowhere close to it. It would be a horrible move.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I think that people, especially Rockets fans don't realize that these guys are drafted so young and not only are adjusting to living on their own, to having a job, to learning to play in the NBA - but that they are also still physically growing.

Deuce, mikol13 and Rocketeer like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think you over-rate him but yeah, I have heard a number of people call him a franchise player -

I also agree that he is a two way player and helps his team win.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Bridges does a lot of in game things better than Green does and those things matter. Bridges is a better player right now.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think in this case he fits like a glove and can be a 2nd option just in name.......

He shoots well
    He defends
    He is quick on his feets
    He is a forward, front court player, avoiding the jam at guards
    He can shoot FTs to 88-89 (Brooklyn is his worst stop)

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Bridges has taken a step back on defense since being asked to take on a higher scoring load in Brooklyn. He is still a two-way player, but more in the sense of not being a liability his teammates have to carry.

He's really very similar in value/overall production to a guy like Khris Middleton in my view. He could be the second-best player on your team if you have the league MVP and plenty of roleplayer depth. Anything short of that he should be the #3 option.

But generally speaking, he is a guy you seek out when you're one piece away, not when you're trying to get into the playoffs for the first time in several years.

carl_herrera likes this.
  19. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

The linsanity run he had last year set the stage for his being vastly overrated by the majority of the fan bases, especially the uneducated Nets fans.

Verbal Christ, OremLK and Joe Rocket like this.
  20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Bridges could do the same. With all the rookie extensions coming up around that time I'm not sure being at the mercy of Bridges is for the best if it's going to cost you young players and your best draft capital.