1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

2. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Whenever I mentioned him(here or Twitter, maybe both), people were saying Astros didn't have the assets to acquire him. Any word on who Brewers got?
    Edit, just the package. Is that good? Who would have been the equivalent for the Astros

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Joey Ortiz, DL Hall, and the 34th pick in the draft. That's it! The Brewers were fleeced.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

To me the package looks light although Burnes is a rental. The equivalent Astros package to me would be something like Spencer Arrighetti, Zach Dezenzo, and Luis Baez.

punkoholic likes this.
  5. Radricky

Radricky Member

Astros could have beaten that offer.
    They should go after yellich

6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

If Burnes got that package, does that lower Cease and Bieber's asking price? Or 1 less starter available now/trade deadline means price slightly goes up since teams still want Starters?

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The farm is already extremely thin. Obviously Burnes would have helped us this season, but how many chips do you want to push in for one season when you should still be good for 2 or 3. Wouldn't have minded the trade, but I'm certainly OK with us trying to continue the internal rebuild without needing to have a huge falloff.

Also teams that need him more than us didn't beat that offer either, evaluations of prospects aren't universal. One can't say for sure, but maybe they really liked the prospects they got from Baltimore.

cmlmel77, Radricky, The Beard and 2 others like this.
  8. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

The Orioles received two top 100 prospects plus a late 1st round pick. Obviously the Astros do not match really well to the package, but seems like Zach Dezenzo, Hunter Brown, and Brice Matthews would be about the equivalent. Ortiz is on pretty much every top 100 list while Dezenzo only appeared on 1, but his ranking there was higher than anything Ortiz has met. Hall has been on pretty much every top 100 list for the last 4 years. However, it appears that Hall may be destined for a reliever role. Of course Matthews because he was the Astros first round pick, slightly higher than what the Brewers will receive.

The Orioles have an abundance of prospects, so this doesn't really hurt them, but it would decimate the Astros for one year of Burnes. There seems to be benefits to both teams so it seems a fair trade

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think this deal affects Crase’s value much other than reducing the Orioles’ need. I don’t think Bieber is as good as Burnes and he is also a rental so this may affect his value. Hard to say.

The Brewers DFA’ed Ethan Small to make room for this trade. I’d like Houston to claim him if they can. He’s a pretty decent prospect and very likely better than somebody like Mushinski.

BlindHog and punkoholic like this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

They were already

ROCKSS and raining threes like this.
  11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

They could have

But with the state of the farm they very likely did not want to give up what would likely have been 3 of our organizational top 10 guys

And yea, it's likely that none of those guys comes close to being a Corbin Burnes

BUT....if we have any chance of signing any of the Altuve/Bregman/Tucker/Framber guys, it's going to require us to have some low cost guys on the roster to fit it all in, and we have fewer options than most teams already

Radricky, punkoholic and Bregatron like this.
  12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Cease is controlled another year so his price will remain higher

punkoholic likes this.
  13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

The latest thing I read on him was early August.

14. Radricky

Radricky Member

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I really don't care about preserving the farm at this point. I think working on an internal rebuild to speed up rebuild is a good goal. I'd have it as a secondary goal. I doubt the Astros had the prospects and internal budget flexibility to make it work for them (i.e., they don't have many bullets left and would like to see how things go before making that big of a move).

In 2-3 years, I will likely become prospect hoarder guy again.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

meanwhile, in Las Vegas:

17. Nook

Nook Member

One year rental - and the Orioles gave up prospects likely to be solid big leaguers for a number of years.

It was a good deal for the Orioles because they are still very deep in prospects, but for a team like the Astros - it would hurt too much.

The Beard and Tomstro like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Agree with this.

Player development can help the guys already in the system, but the biggest control the Astros have is who they draft going forward.

Brown has added extremely experienced and well thought of scouts and quasi executives to help with the farm system. These are not old timers either, these are guys that in recent history have had success.

The only concern I have with the way Brown is handling his business, is that it feels like a bit of a good ole boys network. He choose to not promote Gelles, knowing she would get numerous offers from other teams for a promotion, and he knew she would leave. She is elite at her job - and now she is gone. Sometimes the perspectives of women, and smart out of the box people should be considered and now we do not have that.

19. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on how you look at it.

Hall was in the Orioles top 5 a year ago.

Ortiz was in the top 100 going into last year.

My guess is Hall goes into the rotation with a likely outcome of a #3 type starter.

Ortiz will play the infield and there is about a 50/50 chance he is a solid starter there for a number of years.

The #1 pick is worth a decent amount because it is a liquid asset.

I like the deal for both teams.... the Brewers didn't get a future star, but they got solid players back.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

"The Las Vegas A's" sounds like "The Las Vegas AIDS".....

Also - Las Vegas doesn't give a **** about the A's.

Baseball teams need to avoid places where fans from other teams move in droves, they learned that with the Marlins and Rays.

Football will do fine because it is a weekly event, and Las Vegas likes fanfare.

Snake Diggit likes this.