1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 7: Two Green Paths

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 29, 2024.

?

Where is Jalen headed?

1. More bought in, he will take a step this season

53.9%
  2. He is what he is, I do not expect him to improve in the second half

46.1%
  1. conquistador#11

This is the chapter where everyone betrays him

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is true and it extends to our entire team. I don't think any player on our team can throw a lob pass and it's kind of ridiculous. There was a really bad one last night where someone tried to throw a lob to Whitmore in the third quarter when he was wide open...and it was so bad that it ended in a turnover. I think it was Fred but it could have been Amen. Either way we need someone to teach this team how to throw lobs. It should not be this hard!

topfive, Mathloom and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Last night was the best game Jalen has ever played. I don't want to get too excited, but he has been trending up

topfive likes this.
  4. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Best case somewhat realistic scenario IMO is Jalen continues to play reasonably well and have some great games like last night while Cam continues to look like a budding star and we flip Jalen for real value in the off-season.

For range of outcomes that lead to us becoming a championship contender in the next few years a Jalen Green extension seems to be lower probability to get there.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Had to do a double take at KAT to Gobert at number 5. Can't say I expected that one. We don't just need a 7 footer to catch lobs...we need a 7 footer to throw the lobs, too.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah that list is pretty eye opening. Most of the top teams in the league implement some sort of lob action. Its the best back door cut when you have players who can play above the rim.

I cant help but chuckle when I remember a portion of our fans would laugh off "lob threats" as unnecessary. Its quite the opposite.

Dobbizzle and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Vertical spacing.

Clint did this for us sooo well during the Harden era, and still does tbf.

Verbal Christ and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yup. It should be one of our staples with the youth we have.

10. BreakYoSelfFool

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that list, but also I forgot about Bonzi Wells, I think if he was 6'8" his game would be close to Cam's....

Back to Jalen Green. I think Jalen Green has great potential, but I also think his slower looking development makes it hard to sign him to a 2nd contract without major improvement unless he really has the coach and development team believing in him. I think if he doesn't he will be traded soon. Kenyon Martin Sr. had some really good things to say about Jalen's work habits and it lines up with what we have heard from others so I think it could work out well.

Mathloom likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Jalen Green is turning 22 next week. He's less than a year older than Amen and Ausar Thompson. He's younger than Jaime Jacquez Jr., Kris Murray and Trayce Jackson-Davis.

I keep forgetting how young this dude is. We're good. Jalen Green panning out is by far the greatest thing that can happen for us in terms of our title aspirations and asset wealth. Imagine trading 4 picks for Mikal Bridges just because Green didn't pan out - and I actually like Mikal Bridges' game. That's so much tanking we did down the drain and we get one 1B scorer out of it. It makes me nervous to think the Rockets might just serially overpay people. We did well with FVV/Brooks but it's not like they're outplaying their contracts. They have to stay this good to be worth it and they're both having career years. If we offered 4 picks for Bridges recently, that's kind of crazy. Let's hope they do their one and only remaining job: use our assets wisely, don't overpay for anything, we're in the driver seat. Even if we just keep drafting players and dumping the worst young player each year, we will be on track to an incredible contention window.

They just need to keep working on Jalen's shot selection and he seems to be responding to it. The rest of his game is improving each month. Lowe, Chiney, JT Gatlin and Ben Dubose had great things to say about him after the Lakers game.

#91 Mathloom, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Roomba, Believe It!, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Can honestly say I’ve never seen Jalen play better. Superstar level first half.

BigMaloe, Mathloom, Dobbizzle and 3 others like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His energy is completely different. and he looks like a true impact player when he's active.

It's easy to do this in short bursts, let's see him maintain it for an extended stretch.

Denovo, BigMaloe, Mathloom and 3 others like this.
  14. plegus

plegus Member

Arenas is somewhere, laughing out loud.

Mathloom and Dobbizzle like this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’ll say it again…Short sample size but he looks completely different. I want to see consistency but he may just be starting to understand who he is as a player.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Arriving when he did, Jalen was pretty much given the keys to the car by Silas. Then Ime shows up and says, "Not so fast, kid, we're going to take turns driving this year." And Jalen had to learn what was expected of him. I mean, it's good that he was deferential to his new coach, but he took it so far that it looked like he was just flat-out confused a lot. Hopefully what we're seeing now is the product of the staff working patiently with him until he's finally starting to figure out what his role is this year.

#96 topfive, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    glynch, Roomba, mikol13 and 5 others like this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have been really critical of Jalen Green. I was not wrong. But his response to all the questions is just insanely impressive right now. You can see it in his face. The effort he just gave helping on defense was awesome. I’m so impressed by his effort. Even if he starts missing if he gives this kind of effort you won’t hear me b**** again. I get not being good enough but I don’t get not busting ass. He’s ****ing busting ass right now and it’s so cool to watch. I’m proud of him.

18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

best 5 game stretch he's had in his career.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This is the best stretch of his career and it’s driven by effort and energy not just shot making. He’s going to run into a game where the shot just isn’t there and we’ll get a chance to see how much of this energy he is able to sustain and focus into other areas.

Roomba, mikol13, GotGame15 and 4 others like this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My new best friend is JALEN.