1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

3 way trade

Chicago Out: Andre Drummond
    Chicago In: 2 2nd rd pick

Chicago Outlook: Shed salary and gain an asset. All signs point to a Chicago blowout sale.Chicagos owner is also notoriously cheap and he would enjoy shedding drummonds 3.3m remaining while picking up a few assets.

Portland Out: Brogdon
    Portland In: Oladipo, Jock, swap rights with bkn 1st(top 3 protected)

Portland Outlook: Salary flexibility and assets. Get out of the remaining money owed to malcolm next year with victors expiring and jocks opt out contract. Also shed 5m this year and gain some slight advantage in the pingpong ball odds this off-season.

Houston Out: Victor, Jock, 2 2nd rd picks, bkn swap
    Houston In: Brogdon, Drummond

Houston Outlook: Cures our 3 biggest needs. Backup Center, shooting, an additional ball handler. Adds some additional vet presence and makes us even deeper, allowing us to cut minutes from FVV.

Swap rights carries a bit of risk if we win the lottory and get 4th but is protected top 3 and i think worst case scenario would be dropping from 4 to 7 in that case. Tried to think of a way to incentivize portland outside of just a bunch of 2nds, because i believe they will get a 1st for him but may prefer this added security at the top instead.

#1281 BigMaloe, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    wolstein and jb86 like this.
  2. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

lmao you expect them to give up a first rounder post Lebron and AD for 3 bench warmers?

jcmoon, dmoneybangbang and Little Bit like this.
  3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

how about tate, landale, oladipo and 1 2nd for Chris Paul?

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

jch1911 and Corrosion like this.
  5. CertifiedTroll

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Top five (somewhat realistic) players I would target right now if I were Stone:

1. Daniel Gafford. Fills the lob threat/shotblocker/rebounder role. If our coaches can get him to show the same kind of improvement in effort and fundamentals that Alpi has shown, he should increase his value on that contract.

2. Ayo Dosunmu. Versatile roleplayer on offense, good defender, on a good contract, and young enough to improve. Should be a nice backup combo guard with a shot at starting if Jalen or Amen don't meet expectations in their roles.

3. Deni Avdija. Probably my pick for most promising under-the-radar guy in the NBA right now. Tall wing who can playmake, play defense, and provide some rim pressure, and the jump shot is coming along.

4. Quentin Grimes. I'm not thrilled with his shooting around the rim this season, and I think Dosunmu is the better player of his type, but I still think Grimes would be a nice fit.

5. Xavier Tillman. Young unrestricted free agent who is a good buy-low candidate coming off an injury-riddled down season. Only a rental, but he's a guy who could come on strong late in the season and earn a new contract from us in the offseason--already a good defensive rim protector, shows some willingness to take jump shots.

jch1911 likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is Stone is shopping with these ideas of what the Rockets are willing to trade:
    1) A bunch of expiring/matching contracts and multiple FRPs
    2) Expiring contracts and/or SRPs
    3) Tate and/or Holiday and/or SRPs
    4) Make one of the above moves and use part of return plus something for something.

For 1, none of these guys are worth that package. This is the star/good player package that doesn't look likely right now.
    Are any of your guys acquirable for package 2?
    For 3, this is the draft capital (or possibly young player) package that hopefully gets a late first or multiple SRPs if not. Milwaukie having Portland's 2024 SRP is probably the worst I would do for this package.
    For 4, I think Rockets would need to get something in a package 2 or 3 to get one of the players on your list as I don't think the Rockets are trading a Brooklyn or Rocket FRP unless it is for a better player than listed. I've been trying to scratch my head the past 2-3 weeks on how to get something that teams like Washington, the Bulls would like.

#1287 Joe Joe, Jan 31, 2024
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would be open to dealing the 2024 pick in a pick swap or protected pick kind of deal for one of these guys. (Well, not for Tillman, who should be obtainable for SRPs at most.) If it was, say, Gafford and Avdija together, maybe just send it on over unprotected (or top 3 protected or so).

Just not thrilled with this draft class.

#1288 OremLK, Jan 31, 2024
  9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

They have a vastly overblown perception of his value--makes me cringe that we offered even that much. No thanks to giving up a superstar package for a high-end roleplayer.

11. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +5.0 ppg, -1.3 rpg, and +2.8 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Gabe Vincent
    27 year old, 6-2, 200 lb G from UC Santa Barbara
    5.4 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 3.0 apg in 25.5 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Cam Reddish
    24 year old, 6-7, 217 lb G from Duke
    6.7 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.3 apg in 23.3 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jae'sean Tate
    28 year old, 6-4, 230 lb F from Ohio State
    4.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 18.4 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Reggie Bullock
    32 year old, 6-6, 205 lb SG from North Carolina
    2.4 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 9.2 minutes in 2023-2024

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not swap back in this draft. The way I see it, the 4th pick is probably like the 10th pick in a normal draft. I'd want to take the chance on lottery balls, then trying to trade up on draft night, and finally trade out of the draft on draft night if that fails. I don't want a pick much later than 10 this year.

Protection might work, but even then, I'd probably prefer having the 8th or 9th pick in this draft even if they can't trade up or out. There are 5 guys I like in Sarr, Topic, Risacher, Cody Williams, and Sheppard. One of those guys might drop and usually a couple of guys pop up later in the year. Clingan at worst should be available at 10.

If I was Stone, I'd probably only consider moving the 2024 Brk FRP if it was protected Top 3 or 4 and the Rockets got back a FRP in a future draft likely with something like Top 13 or Top 15 protection. I just don't see other team buying this.

Caveat: I like the rotation of Sengun, Smith, Brooks, Green, FVV, Cam, Amen, Tari right now for where the Rockets are in their development. I think someone like Capela could be acquired for a No. 2 package. I'd rather see what shakes out with those 8 guys in the offseason before committing real value for a player.

#1292 Joe Joe, Jan 31, 2024
    deb4rockets likes this.
  13. jcmoon

i wonder if there is anyway we could try and trade for Cade Cunningham? Detroits kinda ****ed and they may lose him anyways cuz he won't want to stay. Jalen Green and picks? i wonder if they'd bite

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Don't see any way they do it--they've put all their eggs into Cade being their franchise player and he's playing okay enough not to give up yet. This is functionally only his second season, after all.

They would be more likely to listen on Ivey since the fit has been awkward there and he is being treated less like a franchise guy and more like a guy who they're not sure whether they even want to start games.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. Rokman

Rokman Member

Corrosion likes this.
  16. jcmoon

well detroit is so bad, that cade may just leave them anyways? Jalen Green would be a perfect guy to just let him run iso all day and give them something to cheer about. They're so bad, they need more draft picks. Why would cade want to stay there?

OremLK likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Maybe he would leave them, but it's not a decision they have to make right now anyway--I wouldn't expect them to trade him until next offseason at the earliest even if he makes it known that he would prefer to go to RFA than sign an extension. Same as I don't truly expect us to trade Jalen away, even though it might make sense on some levels.

jcmoon likes this.
  18. jcmoon

i like jalen. But this trade would make sense for both parties if cade wants out.

OremLK likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Cade does not fit with the Rockets. Do not want. If we can facilitate a trade for him to go to another team fine. We are built for speed, Cade will end up being a higher turnover FVV with more height. Amen, Cam, Jabari, maybe Jalen, Tari and Sengun will excel with a fast paced transition offense. Our half-court offense will also be fine using Amen and Sengun as facilitators and in the case of Sengun another scorer. I think if we are currently ok with a sub-par defensive player in Jalen, maybe we should consider Simons instead for offensive consistency.

OremLK, conquistador#11 and jcmoon like this.
  20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd love to draft Sheppard.
    54.3 FG% and 55.3 3PT% FT 84%

He's not only a great shooter, but he's a major playmaker defensively.