1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Cam Whitmore's comp?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FishBulb913, Jan 30, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was watching Maggette shooting 3s in the Big 3......he can still get up and down.

2. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

The Matrix

calurker and DaDakota like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

a little like vince.. half cam half amazing

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jim Jackson with his size, maybe?

DD

5. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Just watched some highlights from ANT’s rookie year and IMO that’s still the comp.

ANT was a better playmaker at that point and I don’t think Cam will be quite as good as ANT but there are a lot of similarities there.

apollo33 likes this.
  6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

My thoughts when he was drafted was a floor would be Von Wafer (the Rockets version). Bouncy shooter who drives and finishes hard.
    He seems to be WAY past that as a floor already.

7. kpdark

kpdark Member

Cam is pure brutality and savageness

[​IMG]

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Dunno but he’s built like Lebron. Nobody wants to step in front of that freight train.

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

He’s a cross between Jimi Hendrix and Dweezil Zappa.

10. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Definitely the next Wilt

kubli9 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly the more I see him, the more he reminds me of Vince Carter as far as having speed, athleticism, strength and the ability to go through and over people. It isn't a perfect comparison, but I don't think there really is one. I will just say that there have been very few NBA players that can pick up the type of momentum and speed and strength that he does in literally 1-2 steps. You couple that with under-rated soft/strong hands and dexterity and he is extremely hard to stop in either transition or the half court if he has already gotten a step.

At this point he isn't really a passer like Harden or McGrady or even LeBron, but he will get better in that area and at a minimum can pass like Vince Carter did - because he doesn't have a lot of assists, fans think his handle isn't good and that isn't true, his handle is very good, he almost never loses the ball in the restricted area and when he is hit by a defender he still finishes.

He has a chance to go to the line A LOT with his body control and strength and love of physical contact.

Deuce, yixiixiy, NIKEstrad and 4 others like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I have seen him get by defenders into the lane in half court sets. I think he is obviously better in full court - but he still turns the corner on people... I am not sure if it is his raw quickness or his large steps coupled with strength and body control.

He isn't perfect - he could become a better mid range shooter, and certainly improve with his ball movement - but he can score inside, get inside and hit from well past the three point line.

jcmoon likes this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Maggette with a jumper is pretty good. Has that type of athleticism. Jaylen Brown possibly. Don’t see any Dwayne Wade or Ant at this point. I don’t think he’s a franchise number 1 but he’s also only 19 so who the **** knows. Maybe the handle gets there. But even if he ends up as Maggette with a jumper as a floor that’s absolutely phenomenal.

14. maw7079

maw7079 Member

A bigger Dwade

15. Nook

Nook Member

He has tunnel vision and it is by far his biggest weakness. He CAN find people when he goes into a game trying to do it - for example he did it in the G-League, but his natural instinct is to look forward at the basket. If someone is more open than him, he will gladly pass to them; but most of the time he is just going through people.

They have so far broken him of his annoying habit of getting the bounce, stopping and assessing the court and then dribbling again and deciding what to do. He has been making decisions a lot faster, but he still needs to work on that part of his game - but he is 19 so I assume it will get better.

Zach LeVine especially, but Vince Carter as well - had really bad tunnel vision and both improved. Carter never became like Grant Hill or Luka, but he at least wasn't a black hole. LeVine worked really hard at it and actually is okay as a passer now.

Roomba likes this.
  16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I see what will eventually be a rich man's Latrell Sprewell.
    [​IMG]

17. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I don’t think he has to be anything else. He reminds me most of an NFL running back if I really want to make a comp. Just feed him.

18. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He reminds me of the legend of DaDakota back in his Fonde PG days......

jbond77 and J.R. like this.
  19. HeyBudLetsParty

Adrian Peterson in his prime on the Vikings

BamBam likes this.
  20. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I think he's the antithesis of someone like Melo, Pierce, or Derozan who will dribble dribble dribble then find an opening, make a move, then counter move, then finish with a smooth middy. Cam goes in with raw force and doesn't need to rely on guile or finesse to get to the basket and the thing that makes him unique is that his 3 point shot is also pretty good along with that and he can shoot well after a stepback meaning you need to play him close opening ip the drive with his quick first step. He definitely leans more on the super athlete side than the skill side. Quicker Miles Bridges or even a stronger Zach Lavine are decent comps in my opinion. Young Tmac is also a decent comp but Tmac became such a good playmaker where Cam has none of that at all.

glenadyll likes this.