1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Sep 7, 2023.

1. cbass

cbass Member

Meh

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Receivers choked BIG TIME.
    The Coaches as well. They didn't respect the moment.
    Someone said they treated this game like a meaningless game in October
    and I cannot disagree.
    Up 17 and going for it on 4th down is not BALLS AND MOXY
    it's almost a desperate fear. . . . .that a 20 pt lead would not be enough
    (they were right I guess)
    Being down 3 touchdowns is different than being down 2 touchdowns and a field goal
    I think SF got the field goal 1st . .. . if they were up 20 instead of 17 . . .maybe they do something
    a little desperate themselves. . . . who knows
    but . . you gotta take the easy points when you up like that
    They weren't playing seattle or carolina!

Rocket River

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Goff played well enough to win
    He does throw a wobbly shakey ball
    but there were there and the receivers just f***ing gagged

Rocket River

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This game came down to
    1. Lions dropping gimmies and 49ers catching miracles.
    (even beyond the bounce off the face . .. there was the one handed falling down tipped ball thing)
    (I think they had another SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN Caught catch too )
    2. Lions miss out on three going for it on 4th . . . 49ers take the three and call it a day . . . .. . Lions lose by 3

Rocket River

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: On that miracle catch . . .what was the flag about?
    I think if the receiver misses that catch . . .they call pass interference . . .
    This was the football equivalent of waiting to see if the player makes the shot before calling the foul

Rocket River

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess the Defensive Coordinator need to go and punch the coach in the mouth for those 4th down calls

Rocket River

MadMax and Mr. Space City like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I am really surprised the 49ers are slight favorites. They should be like 4-5 point dogs just based on how each team has been playing the last month and a half. I guess the Niners get the nod for their supposedly-better season? Or as usual, the line is set just to generate action in the betting market.

But still. My early assessment is the Chiefs will knock SF the heck out.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The Aiyuk catch completely swung the momentum to the 49ers - reminded me when David Tyree made that ridiculous catch against his helmet against an undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl. It was like fate had determined that the 49ers were going to win this game although Dan Campbell certainly helped.

mtbrays and Rocket River like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Initial thoughts are a lot of public knee jerk reaction to mahomes and kc winning and going back to the SB. Line movement in less than 24 hrs has been already significant. Early feedback is a ton of action on KC and folks assuming SF has no chance. Vegas knows what it’s doing when these lines are set

After everyone settles in on this matchup, SF winning is absolutely a realistic outcome. The revenge factor is real and the motivation of this rematch definitely comes into play. That matchup had KC -1.5 in 2020

this is a very good Super Bowl matchup with a ton of angles and storylines

#989 YOLO, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    B-Bob, Rocket River and MadMax like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think the Chiefs take this one.

Best QB, best defense.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It had to be OPI because the DB had the wr beat and was tracking the ball

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is what I thought too. . . . then they picked it up . . .I was like Why?
    Definitely helped the 49ers big time

Rocket River

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

will there be a Super Bowl thread
    or just continue here?

Rocket River

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Just created one with a poll too!

IBTL and B-Bob like this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

no idea, niners are a team of destiny though, every possible lucky break. Shades of eli magic

Sooty likes this.
  16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That was my initial feeling when the play happened. The WR ran into the DB's space, but they picked up the flag and allowed the play to stand. By the book, I think they should've called it but the league wanted to throw SF a bone and they took it.

The Lions gambled and were aggressive like they've always done. They just lost the gambles in the 2nd half. Telegraphing a pass play with nobody in the backfield on 4th down is a bad playcall, though.

The Aiyuk catch and subsequent fumble just destroyed the Lions. Lions got a bunch of bad breaks in the 2nd half and SF got lucky, but credit SF's defense for stopping 4th down plays.

Purdy played well and made great decisions. Although, in my opinion, a few of his escaped sacks are due to the rule changes where pass rushers use kid gloves to sack the QB.

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I didn't watch the game (no Texans and work) and not watching Stupid Bowl (unless CJ goes there in uniform and pads), but that is a head coach that handed the 49ers, another Super Bowl appearance. 4th and short at the 2 yard, or 1 yard line, you have to go for that, but at FG distance, you have to kick it. Idiotic coach think that going on 4th success will continue, it is just a matter of time before numbers catch up. The Cowboys game that is a 100% go for it for the 2 point try, but he became an idiot for going for it again when the team was penalized (NFL riggers). In Super Bowl, you have to take points.

18. Major

Major Member

Long-haul, the "numbers catching up" by going for it all the time results in scoring more points, not less. The issue with going for it is that it's EV-positive in the big picture, but adds more variance to an individual game. That also ignores the fact that the Detroit kicker isn't good at all from long-range - he lost his job before the season and only got called back up in December because they released their other kicker. The two FGs would have been 45 and 48 yards, so they were not gimmies for him. (apparently he's 50% from this range over his career)

The first 4th down was also in a scenario where the 49ers had yet to stop Detroit on any of their drives - 3 TDs and a 17-play drive that led to a field goal. Detroit had good reason to believe they could get that 4th down, and they had it if not for a dropped pass. They rightly sensed they needed a lot more points to win the game.

The 2nd 4th down is harder, simply because Detroit could have tied the game on that one. And there was enough time left for both teams to score again (49ers offense was rolling by this point), in which case Detroit would have had a 2-pt conversion option had they scored and wanted to end it. But this one was also the 48 yard FG. As crazy as it sounds, it's been 14 months since he kicked a FG that long.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

A bad kicker that isn't consistent under 50 yards is more reason to go for it. I'm not unhappy with the decision, I'm unhappy with the bad play call.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Was it bad play call? 1st one the guy dropped an easy one, 2nd one goff had a guy wide open running across and just didn't see it. Both plays were great calls