1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I get that Bellinger checks some boxes (LH, can play center, etc.), but I can’t for the life of me understand why Astros fans want to pay him (of all players) the 200m+ he is going to demand to play here. Even putting aside him publicly trashing the Astros and promoting fake news against the Altuve and the same…he cratered two years ago and was not even playable. Yes he had a bounce back year in 2022, but I do not want him and certainly not for what he’s going to require.

On a similar note, I suppose the league-wide concern with Snell is his inability to go past 6 innings, mileage, and age…so maybe we don’t sign him. Could be a Keuchel 2.0 situation..?

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Tier 1 (3.5+ projected WAR): Robert
    Tier 2 (2.5-3.4): Happ, Jones, Lowe, Outman
    Tier 3 (2.0-2.4): Nootbaar, Suwinsku, Yelich
    Tier 4 (1.0-1.9): Benson,Castro,Duran,Fraley, Marsh

*projected WAR is the average of the 5 projections listed in Fangraphs. I bumped Lowe up to 2.5 from 2.4 because I think it was too low and it's my post, lol.

Projected WAR ×years of control
    Tier 1:Robert 15.6, Jones 14.0, Outman 13.5
    Tier 2: Lowe 12 4, Yelich 12.0, Suwinski 11.0
    Tier 3: Nootbaar 9.6, Happ 8.7, Duran 7.5, Marsh 6.8, Benson 6.0
    Tier 4: Fraley 3.0, Castro 2.4

#3882 IdStrosfan, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Astro fans don't want to pay him. They just want him on the team. Money is Crane and Brown's problem.

There are some very knowledgeable fans on here (and I like to mingle with them) but there are also some that pay attention to just superficial areas of the team and roster

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The answer is both of them have absolute star quality which plays in the playoffs potentially (or is more likely than not having that quality) and we don’t need either of them to accomplish our regular season goals.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's 34 and was incredibly good last year with a solid track record.

The Beard and raining threes like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I heard today from someone that would know… the Astros AGAIN talked to the Miami Marlins about Jake Burger.

This is like the 3rd-4th time that the Astros have been linked to him. They wanted him in discussed Cease deals, they tried to get him before Marlins got him and now this off season they have asked about him twice.

Why? Would be be a long term 1st base or 3rd base solution? Do they just want him to get all the at bats Abreu and Bregman etc. leave available?

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As an aside I saw he hit 34 HR last year and only finished with 80 RBI OH MY GOD SOMEBODY GET ON BASE!!

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

[​IMG]

Nook, raining threes and MadMax like this.
  9. Radricky

Radricky Member

How big of a downgrade would Jake burger be on defense at third?
    I thought he was kind of a dh type dude.

10. Nook

Nook Member

He isn’t Chapman or Arenado out there… and he isn’t as good as Bregman either.

When he came up a few years ago he was a neutral fielder and last year was below average but probably can be average if he focuses on it.

I guess an 800 OPS with power and slightly below average defense at 8-10 million a year trumps paying Bregman 30 million for a near decade.

Asset management. You let Bregman walk, get a draft pick. Trade assets for Burger and save 20+ million a year to put towards Tucker or another free agent?

I just know that Chapman and now Burger are players the Astros have shown interest in.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's exactly right, the Astros have to consider letting Bregman walk, he's going to want to get paid as if he produces like 2019 Bregman and he hasn't been anywhere near that since then. He's still a plus player for sure, but you don't keep a dynasty going paying guys who are merely plus players superstar money when they are on the wrong side of 30.

I'm not saying it's a given, but if you could get 3 fWAR out of Burger for something like 1 mil a year and you were only going to get 4 fWAR out of Bregman for 30+ mil a year.....I think you do that in a heartbeat.

Now maybe Burger's projection of 3 fWAR is a bit high, and Bregman's fWAR at 4 would be a bit low.....but I don't think those are THAT far off.

I just think there are more important people to spend on than Bregman and I think he's fairly likely to want a deal somewhere else. The Astros have to have a plan for that.

eliefor3 likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Some fans don't understand the economics. It is THEY, not the owners, who eventually pay the outrageous contracts.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm not sure which group I belong in. I did post the Greinke Acquisition proposal on an old board about a month before it happened, so though outside the box, they are not always as impossible as they first seem.

Trade McCullers for Trout and $51.5M. Both players are great when healthy and not so much when injured. The money, much like the Mets sending money with Verlander, reduces the Cap to a manageable situation. In this case, it brings down the cost for Trout to ~$ 30M for 7 seasons. This number is close ti the estimayed cost of Bellinger and promises to be better vs RHs, even though he swings from the right side.

Pick up JD Martiez in FA to DH on a short term contract. ~$15M/yr.

The best news is immediate because his history actually fits the profile of a stated objective. He hits RHs better than LHs (though not a slouch vs LHs).

for 2024

2B Altuve
    CF Trout
    LF Alvarez
    1B Abreu
    RF Tucker
    3B Bregman
    C Diaz
    DH Martinez
    SS Pena

This would be a modern day murderer's row.

#3893 Marshall Bryant, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  14. Amadeus Rooster

Lets add Snell as a top of the rotation pitcher too. Maybe get Luis Robert Jr. OF somehow with Cease andother Top of the rotation pitcher from cws. Then I day we would have some depth to keep er rolling and keep players fresh.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It sounds like you have given up on McCullers, Javier, Garcia, Urquidy, Brown, France and possibly Valdez.

Amadeus Rooster likes this.
  16. Amadeus Rooster

No. Not at all. Mccullers Luis are going to be 2 of my favorites when they return. France Urquidy Gordon Arrighetti also. Maybe trade Urquidy for some prospects to reload the farms?
    Framber JV Javier hops in the sand gonna take us to the promised lands.

Be a hog is my theory get em all!

We will have 16 all stars this year will be a record! ☺️ ☺️ ☺️

Radricky likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hard to believe pitchers report in a week and there are still 5 difference makers and 2 dozen or so viable MLBers sitting on the market.

At this point I suspect Snell and Montgomery are expecting a ST injury to open a team’s checkbook. But I can’t imagine what’s holding up Bellinger Chapman and Soler.

Upgrades over Singleton or Kessinger: Chapman, Bellinger, Soler, Turner, Urshela, Belt, Kemp, Pham, Votto, Ford

Upgrades over Bielak/Coleman/Whitley/Sousa: Snell, Montgomery, Ryu, German, Lorenzen, Velasquez, Boyd, Middleton, Maton, Alexander, Cisnero, Peralta, Hand, Nelson

#3897 Snake Diggit, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Upgrade our bench with expensive, full time starters?

I think the obvious answer is $$$.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Obviously some of those guys would bump other guys down, but the end result on the 26 man roster would be Kessinger or Singleton on the position player side and whoever the 13th pitcher is.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Absolutely. We should sign all the players. Always.

Amadeus Rooster likes this.