1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. CertifiedTroll

Those stats really paint a picture of just how awful he has been.

I truly believe there is still upside/potential for Jalen. I am all for benching him, but still would hang on to him for a year or two more to see if things work out. If a decent offer comes in, sure we trade him, but I am not a fan of selling low.

clos4life, RudyTBag and topfive like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing is I do not remember any lengthy highs in those 3 years.......how do you sell high when the lows are all over him.....

He had that hammy injuriy and then another injury.....

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Im tellin yall we should start Tate

Cam has a nice ceiling , but is gonna make a ton of rookie mistakes. Alpy and Jabari are young bigs worthy of getting development. Surrounding them with FVV , Tate , and brooks means the defense around them will be solid and they can have a bigger share of the offense . Amen and Cam can be our developmental guards with Tari providing energy wherever.

Its halfway in the season now.

Greens best skill is that he is healthy .. well maybe he is healthy because he never sacrifices his body for the team. He does consistently get soft fouls called for him .. which is good , but its bad long term because that will disappear in the playoffs or if he starts getting too much of a FT shooting reputation. See Harden, Giannis , Luka , Etc ... you get a few years max . Embiids ft's are going to go down after this year , believe it.

You need to Put Jalen in a position where he has to fight for his minutes and play hard. He is supposed to have superstar confidence so if he cant recover from getting demoted then that was false.

And for those saying , relax , we are still developing , wins dont matter this year ... bullshit.
    #1 - weve had to suffer through 3 tank years , try to win this year . please
    #2 Getting : sengun, jabari , tari , amen , cam playoff experience would be a boon
    #3 you never know what can happen
    #4 growth isnt linear , we cant 100 % assume health from our guys next year . What if sengun gets hurt , amen tears an ACL ... then our plans to compete more next year are in jeopardy

worst defender on the team. I thought we were trying to instill a defensive culture . Continuing to start Jalen and play him big minutes undercuts that message.

If you wanna say his defense looks better this year i would counter and say thats because the entire team is playing better defense around him and pulling him up ... yet hes still in the bottom 20% of defenders in the league.

We have people here saying we should change things to make it easier on offense for HIM .. and to get more shooting around HIM. its the height of folly . You adjust for a player when they prove value . Otherwise its on them to fit in and bring the juice. Hes got more valuable product in his hair than he brings on the court.

Even in this last game when he got hot, it was from the midrange .. the worst place to be taking shots from.

And yes hes young and yes he might turn it around ... but he doesnt need more minutes to "get it" ... he needs to work harder off the court and have more time to get stronger and become a better shooter. And he needs a reason to play harder. Gifting him minutes for the 3rd straight year isnt the way.

HardenReturns likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

playing 39 mins and not grabbing one single rebound makes so much more sense and how its possible for him

REEKO_HTOWN, B-Bob and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If those stats are true, his negative effect on the floor is so unreal that they may not bring him back next year.

I told everyone Jalen deserved 25-30 games before we should pass judgement. Well, the Rockets have played 43 games and the results are clear.

Who should start in his place?
    Tari was a terrible idea.
    Cam would be the best choice if he was ready. Maybe it happens post ASB.
    Amen is another option but, on offense, he is best at playing the point position instead of off the ball. He also offers no floor spacing.

Rockets have 11 more games before the ASB and then huge changes coming. Possibly sooner.

#285 A_3PO, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    B-Bob likes this.
  6. vince

vince Member

Considering there are about an average of 530 different players who play at least one game in any given NBA season each year, and the US population is 335 million, it seems every player in the league is a 1 in 632,000…. Interesting thing is that 1 in 33,500,000 player is an NBA all-star starter. And Green is nowhere near all-star talent!!!!

In my opinion, if the Rockets can resign him for a reasonable contract, pertaining to his production and not potential that he had in 2021 them you keep the experiment going another year or two. He’s got special talent, but is currently chewing on humble pie, as he is finally being exposed within system basketball, and performing poorly against the fellow athleticism in his stratosphere. Playground basketball doesn’t win NBA championships, it can get a few dramatic wins and some make for some spectacular stats, but at the opportunity cost of winning consistently.

Ime is kicking the tires on Green, just to see if Jalen Green is salvageable. If Green weren’t at least giving hope, Ime would have reduced his minutes even further. I think the Rockets see the value if he unlocks that talent.

But at this point, unless he goes on a tear, he’s going to be getting a journeyman’s contract. Or a team blinded by the #2 draft pick tag is going to overpay big time to find out if Green can unlock his true potential.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Jabari never started in place of JG. Jabari has solidified his own spot in the starting lineup which has nothing to do with JG

HardenReturns, Zen Tabak and RudyTBag like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is where I am at.

It is painful to watch, because this team is a lot better than it looks. You put a mediocre player at SG and we are in the playoffs. JG is dragging this whole ship down right now. Going to have to practice my breathing exercises.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Makes the Brogdon/Timelord rumors make sense.

Hell, JG/24/26 for Bridges makes some sense too, but that 2026 pick is terrifying to give up.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

And the thing about those particular shots is that Jalen is so quick (and gets those shots off so quickly) that he doesn't really need to create separation on them. The separation is already there, he just needs to get off the most accurate possible shot. And by jumping backwards, he's losing some of that accuracy. It's maddening.

I'm kinda getting the feeling that JG doesn't really care for Udoka's coaching style and wishes he were in a situation more like what Silas gave him: Just get out there and play like you're in a pick-up game.

HardenReturns and RudyTBag like this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I meant Tari and have corrected the post.

The first suggested substitute for Jalen was Tari, which is literally a "non-starter" of an idea.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

he hasn't started this year for him and we've already seen Tari's impact on winning games this season is very good when he's on the floor. Starter or not, him playing a lot of minutes shows much more positive impact than negative

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nobody here disputes Tari's effect while on the floor. Everyone wants him to play more minutes and close games more often. It's not a debatable point.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

then I'm not sure why the claim of Tari was a terrible idea is being made when we actually haven't seen it

I'm assuming you meant Tate? *Shrugs*

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

There’s no question that Greens numbers highlighted in those tweets are awful and match what everyone is probably seeing…what would probably surprise people is how similarly grim the same statistical profile looks for Dillon Brooks. Not quite as grim, but…many of the impact stats Green is last in…Brooks is 2nd to last.

Among Rockets who have played 300 minutes(used that cutoff to include Cam and Amen)

WS/48
    Last : Green
    2nd to Last : Brooks

BPM
    Last : Brooks
    2nd to Last : Green

VORP
    Last : Brooks
    2nd to Last : Green

HardenReturns and YOLO like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

So he is in fact "him".

The problem I mean.

17. CertifiedTroll

Well the trade value of his "upside" has definitely taken a huge hit with his regression this season. I just don't see the point of getting rid of him just to get rid of him. He should not be viewed as a filler.

HardenReturns and Mathloom like this.
  18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He is far below average on his best days defensively.

19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Sometimes the eye test is right.

HardenReturns and cml750 like this.
  20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Why is Tari a bad idea?