1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

But he did not have a bad 155 innings last year.

He allowed 3 or fewer earned runs in 18 of his 29 starts and 17 of his first 25 (68%)

Obviously ALL his starts count, but rookie pitchers have bad games. It's part of the adjustment to MLB.

He was good much more often than bad. You can't say he had 155 bad innings when over 2/3 of them were quite good.

Take away 4 bad starts from 8/20 and after when he was gassed because of how he was used and needed throughout the year, and his ERA is 3.81

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  2. the shark

the shark Member

I already mentioned, right after the signing of Hadar, that Nook was right saying that Crane would in fact go over the luxury tax for the right player/situation. Surprised he did it and glad he did.

13 in 33, mikol13 and BMoney like this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

J.P.'s ceiling is Jose Urquidy which is perfectly fine as long as he's only being asked to be a #5 unless you can find someone better and then you should.

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I'll take someone that is equal of the franchise leader in World Series wins.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  5. lnchan

Now looking at the catcher splits for him... Dusty and Maldy did not set him straight.

6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

JP was a rookie last year. He established a floor, his ceiling is still an open question. We should have a better idea about him at the end of this season.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This would be huge. McHugh was borderline all star guy at the beginning of his Astros career. Maybe the most underrated guy in. Baseball during that time.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Gotcha. Thanks!

9. Landry's Tooth

I'm sorry, but Abreu, Pressly, and Hader will not be available for all 162 games.

Explain to me why JP France should be in the minor leagues?

The reality is if Mccullers comes back or Garcia then there's no spot for Brown anyways without trading someone.

I understand you like Hunter Brown. 25 year old rookie with 5 ERA and good stuff isn't rare.

I think he will be a good starter someday, we need another great arm in the pen right now. I'm playing probabilities. France would be one of the top 15 #5 starters.

10. Landry's Tooth

Ok, now give France the same treatment and show me a huge difference in results.

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

That’s fair, and I would happily take that from France. Either way, that’s still a MLB-quality pitcher.

12. lnchan

As long as we don't have a waste of space in Carlos Gomez coming back during this Astros reunion tour

DVauthrin likes this.
  13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Before last season, Jose Urquidy had pitched far better than a run-of-the-mill #5 starter. Hiis ERA’s were: 3.95, 2.73, 3.62 and 3.94. His WHIP’s were: 1.10, 1.01, .99, 1.17.

No Worries, Tomstro and lnchan like this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

LOL

Remember Steve Pearce is a World Series MVP.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I laughed out loud at that as well.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

Not sure if posted but this would be a huge development. If he makes strides a la Dubon then we are deeeeeeeeeeeeep

DVauthrin and ryan_98 like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Pretty sure if you take away most pitchers' worst 1/3rd of their innings, they'll all look like great pitchers.

It seems that it should be a concern that he was gassed after pitching like 120 innings in a 6 man rotation for much of the first 2/3rd of the season with only 1 start going to even 100 pitches. And apparently we should expect that he won't be gassed pitching a full season in a 5 man rotation this year.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

J.P. France should be in the minor leagues because he simply doesn't have the stuff to consistently get MLB hitters out.

His ERA may have been 3.83 last year buy it was all luck. Based on his lack of strikeouts and quality of contact against him he should have been much much worse. His FIP was 4.70 and his xERA was 5.00.

His luck simply can't continue to hold out which is why fangraphs has projected him for a 4.79 ERA this year.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

In terms of overall production, Soler projects to be nearly the hitter Altuve does. If you can plug that into LF and have McCormick in CF, that has value. It would give Houston 2 MVP caliber hitters (Tucker, Alvarez), 3 All-Star level hitters (Altuve, Bregman, Soler), 3 above average hitters (Diaz, Abreu, McCormick), and one average hitter (Pena) in their lineup. Their worst “everyday” hitter would be a guy who has averaged 16 HR and a .260/.320/.420 line in his first 2 seasons.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He's the guy who hit the home run of Garcia on strike 5 right? When he struck out swinging and looking in the same at bat and then homered? bad memories