1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Randle particularly is an absolute beast physically, he bullies almost everybody, his explosion and strength combination is elite. I don't know if everybody processes it when watching him but he's got a lot of what LBJ/Banchero/Zion has going on.

Smith has the frame of MPJ/Rashard Lewis right now, to where he's mostly better guarding 3's than 4's. He's got a long way to go with adding strength, hopefully he adds a good bit.

2. Nook

Nook Member

He can still be pushed around by really strong and physical 4’s. I’m not worried about it long term because he is 20 years old and will get stronger.

The Rockets could really use a real 5 that can defensively keep the lane clear. It allows Sengun to play more PF and Jabari more 3.

gfab-babyboi and astros123 like this.
  3. PeppermintCandy

This is something Smith and his trainers will have to figure out in the coming years, I think. He'll need to add strength and weight while not sacrificing flexibility and mobility, and also at the same time not put too much stress on his body, which could lead to injuries.

It seems they're content to keep the process slow and gradual, which is probably the right way to go in the long term.

#1703 PeppermintCandy, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    clutchdabear likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like his skill set as a role player. I call him a role player because he doesn't create for others, he doesn't get to the line, he doesn't really create his own shot, he doesn't have amazing handles, and isn't particularly explosive for the NBA. I don't see those things changing with his game. He knows his role and he sticks to it. There's nothing bad about that and he doesn't need the ball to be impactful which is a great thing. His consistency is still not there, but he's young. Maybe things will get more consistent for him if he can bulk up and add 20 lbs.

I'll be amazed if he averages 20 ppg on a 50+ win team but let's hope it happens. I agree with you about his efficiency potential and I think he can get to the 40%+ 3pt% and 50%+ fg%. His free throw shooting is nice but he doesn't get to the line enough.

Arnel and Bo6 like this.
  5. Rokman

Rokman Member

He had a nice strong slash to the bucket and dunk today that was impressive. It appeared like he had been focusing on that aspect of his game. He has the ambition and dedication to be able to do everything on the floor. We are just seeing the beginning of his development. I think he and Sengun will share the face of the franchise going forward.

gfab-babyboi, Easy and robbie380 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I understand what you are saying. Jabari isn't a guy that will likely ever be given the ball and consistently create for others in the way that LeBron or Harden or even Curry does. There were a lot of star players in the 1970's like this, but few now. One area where I do think he will improve is in his ability to create for himself. He is getting better at that, I have seen him post up a few times and and also put the ball on the floor and pull up from mid range. It may take him a couple years to get good enough at it to make a real difference, but I do think he will get there. That should help his free throws as well, but I don't think he will ever go to the line 8 times a game.

As for the scoring, I think in his prime he can get over 20 points a night based on the scoring in the league. He is going to be a volume three point shooter, and likely will shoot close to or over 40%, and he is good in transition as well. Consider that Jalen Green last year was getting like 22-23 points a game.

So I don't think that Jabari will ever be a classic franchise player - he isn't going to put a team on his back offensively and carry them. However, I do think that he has the potential at his peak to be a #2 type player on an elite team, and that is an all star level player.

Right now, IMO the Rockets have some real issues with their roster configuration, and they lack a clear cut elite scorer. However, Sengun and Jabari are the two guys that the should be the least worried about and they have very projectable futures.

clutchdabear, Arnel, IvanLCPM and 2 others like this.
  7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

People say to just give Jabari more shots but unless it's schematically driven, Jabari will always shoot less than 12 a night. The reason "chuckers" shoot a lot is that they have the ability to get those looks off. Just watch Jabari in warm-ups, he's a very stiff basketball player (even at the ripe age of 20).

I don't think he will ever be a player we can just hand the ball of and say "go to work". In fact, we try it a lot by putting him in the mid-post area where he sometimes can shoot over the defender.. but even Pat Bev blocked him in the same situation a few nights ago in Philly.

That's why I called him a "franchise role player" which many of you took as a slight. Jabari can be an unbelievable 3rd banana but beyond that I think you are expecting too much.

Arnel, robbie380 and gumbleton3 like this.
  8. New Jack

New Jack Member

I'm a big believer in Jabari's future, but he's not really a good tough shot maker. Get him a wide open shot, and he'll knock it down, but any kind of shot where he's forced to alter his shot, he's probably missing. That's probably why he's not shooting as much.

Jalen, on the other hand, is a tough shot maker. He just can't hit wide open shots

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

I just always have to tell myself that this is the same board that claimed c wood can be one of your top options on a contender and actually contemplated being a max player. That sure aged well

Now we have folks trying to cap a 20 year bari who is in the midst of a 2nd year jump. Too funny.

10. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

same folks saying Smith can’t do what he’s proven he can do when asked to be the man in Summer League …

Problem is Rockets system sucks - it has people in wrong places, the paint is always crowded because we can’t hit 3 consistently - that’s why so many of our players get stripped driving … they have to go through 2 players and then attack the C at rim … Jalen and Bari don’t have Harden / Kawhi strength -hands (wish they did)

Bo6 and Easy like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Jabari will be getting more than 12 shots a night, right now he is getting it in doses he can handle - he is 20 years old and he has been asked to defend at a high level, shoot better and learn a new system.

Jabari has shot well from everywhere on the court this year. He is shooting nearly 70% within 3 feet and still shooting nearly 55% within 10 feet… even from 10-16 feet he is shooting 45%… he doesn’t have an issue scoring in the mid post area… right now he isn’t focusing on that or being asked to do that.

He is capable of taking 15 shots a night in a year or two and that will get him over 20 points a night. Is that franchise player level? No but it’s REALLY good.

clutchdabear, Arnel, cml750 and 3 others like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Agree but I don’t think the Rockets offensive system sucks. I think Udoka’s system is good - but the pieces (players) don’t fit well offensively. Some of it will get better with development but some of it is that they don’t fit well.

jim1961 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does not have an extensive playbook or an ingrained system like Princeton or the Triangle....

He is more about repetition and really old school, non innovative stuff..... physicality, defense, focus, reps, switching.....

That was what makes it so easy for teams to game plan against, on Offense he is not creative enough.

Was Hardy on the Celtics as well? Bc that man is flourishing.....
    [​IMG]

AlperenSengun and Easy like this.
  14. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I've been really critical of him since his rookie year but I'm a full on believer now.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

harold bingo, jim1961, Arnel and 2 others like this.
  16. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

You cannot teach the intangibles that Bari possesses.

Heart, competitiveness, and the attitude of an absolute DAWG

Hope his ankle heals up soon. We need him

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

They called his number a few times in OT and he delivered 2 buckets and a dime to Alpy.

Patience still required, but as he adds some strength for defence and finds his niche scoring moves, there is something quite nice here. I'll go early and say he will take a stride forward next year offensively.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I feel like those pullups are always there, he just needs to hit them on a consistent basis

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean as long as he's improving I am happy. Same with Amen and Cam too and Tari.

He's improved a lot this 2nd year and if he takes another jump for his 3rd year I think we really could be cooking with something then.

For now, it's good to see him get an opportunity to have plays run for him and then hit those big shots. Just a shame he won't have a chance to build off this game right away with this injury but hopefully its not too bad.

persian hoopa likes this.
  20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

24/10 and hit the game winning FT while injured. Not bad for a “role player,” eh @CXbby?

YOLO and Sonicbun8 like this.