1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it’s time to move along from Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCRocket, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I cringe every time Bari takes an outside shot, however we’d be totally sunk without his height in our lineup. Would rather trade others like Tate and Green to get some additional size.

2. cbass

cbass Member

You cringe every time a dude who shoots 38% from 3 shoots a 3?

That’s weird

charlieaustin and clutchdabear like this.
  3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i hate to say this, and as much as i disliked KPJ before, i was always willing to give him a second chance(pre-girlfriend issue), if he was going to be a team player under udoka. The best thing the rockets can do is sign him to a 3 year minimum deal this summer, and just start him. We already invested this much in him and we may as well reap the benefits from him before someone else does. We need his off ball shooting. We can just send jalen to the bench and get him even cheaper on the next contract. This makes business sense. We need to be good next year cuz OKC has swap right with us so we can't be bad. I'm all for it at this point. Give the kid another chance.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You just sound like an Ex of his, his Ex at least cut him loose officially....who knows.

Dude has not played for 4-5 months and I doubt he can pick up a basketball and shoot 39% from 3 just like that......

Let's forget that New York hotel room thing but do you really think his head was into basketball when he attended Fashion Week with Kysre?

Apart from his detrimental conduct issues, dude is also not that much of a professional either, refusing to be subbed out....etc.

#464 daywalker02, Jan 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  5. cbass

cbass Member

This is the worst take I’ve read on Clutchfans in quite some time, which is saying something.

Kudos.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Rationalize it all you want, but the numbers are what they are and he was not miles ahead at all. They have both been disappointing in their 3rd year. My view for Jalen is the same as KPJ, I'm open to moving/packaging him now but won't just dump him just to do it.

Easy likes this.
  7. jcmoon

i understand your disagreement, its not like i don't. But the fact of the matter is, miles bridges got another contract and his charges weren't dropped like kevins. The fact of the matter is that some team will take another chance on him. This is professional sports, its all about the bottom dollar.

8. cbass

cbass Member

I actually doubt some other team will. He’s proven to be not worth the trouble.

But even if you’re right, then let some other team do it. He then becomes their problem.

9. Lathander

Lathander Member

I don't think anyone who says Jalen should be sent off the team can't be serious. This kid is a beast. His body is very suitable for basketball. Check out last year's best dunks. You'll see Jalen in many of them. He's a talented player with incredible potential.

The problem with Jalen is that there haven't been enough offensive plans drawn up on him yet. He must be coached properly. Also, he must be integrated to FVV/Sengun team properly. Even on days when he's bad at making triples, he should still be able to cut inside properly, like Kenyon Martin Jr. did last year. More teamwork and better coaching can reveal his true talent. I would understand if you say he shouldn't be given a max contract. But the talk about sending him off the team is ridiculous.

Little Bit and jcmoon like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lmao no f-in way

jim1961, GOATuve and clutchdabear like this.
  11. jcmoon

i agree, you just don't sell low on Jalen green after investing this much in him. He will one day be a very good player, either starter or 6th man. The stuff he can do, you cannot teach. Shooting can be improved. He will get bigger and stronger. He can be a secondary creator, shooter off the wing. You just don't give him away

12. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Just because you invested in garbage once doesn't mean you should invest in the same garbage again. If you don't compare the many other options you are just throwing away money.That's the bottom dollar.

slothy420, Rokman and clutchdabear like this.
  13. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

so by this train of thought, might as well give derrick jones jr a max contract and a starring role on our team.

jalen does not have an nba body, plays charmin soft, and has the mentality of a kid.
    he's a replacement level player, and all the metrics show that as well. he excels at nothing. i was hoping for some sort of potential to be realized by now but yr 3 and all that time and investment should be just considered a sunk cost. start giving jalen's minutes to cam. i've seen enough of jalen.

14. Rokman

Rokman Member

Most of Clutchfans was ready to dump KPJ after the halftime incident. You don't bring a culture destroyer like KPJ back just because he is a better shooter than Jalen. The Rockets aren't THAT desperate. They can easily pick up a middling backup guard off another team and put him in and get 75% of the performance we want to see instead of the 25% performance we are getting from Green.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Most teams do not bring back players right after they waived or discarded them.....not even immaculate players.

jim1961 and Rokman like this.
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So none of Jalen's problems are because of Jalen. It always someone else's fault.

You are delusional.

#476 A_3PO, Jan 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sounds like he is writing a commercial for Mr. Green.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

After watching Jalen play yesterday, I’m not sure anyone can debate the wisdom of moving on from Jalen. Yikes.

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the issue is that people around here were far too committed to demonizing KPJ in order to make excuses for how pathetic Jalen Green is at basketball. They'll never stray from that opinion and we just have to accept them for their biases and shortcomings.

Would KPJ make the team better? Almost certainly, but it feels like that ship has sailed. I'm all for giving people a chance at redemption, but I think I'd rather see how Cam handles an opportunity at the SG spot rather than another gamble on a KPJ redemption. I mean, sure, he'd come in day one as at worst the second best shooter on the team, but I don't think we can assume he'd be okay with a potential bench role....and since I wouldn't have access to that kind of behind the scenes information, I can't say one way or the other about how it would probably work out.

In the end, I'll leave it to Udoka to make any calls like that. He wisely said "no thanks" to Harden, if he thought KPJ was worth a shot at redemption, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best.

jcmoon likes this.
  20. jcmoon

I love whitmore and he is going to be better for sure. But i'm just thinking about the next two years, when we can't be bad. We just can't. KPJ won't have a choice but to come off the bench and be the ultimate team guy or they can just cut him. I'd rather give that minimum contract to him than someone like reggie bullock. He would have no choice but to repair his image and work for another contract, which wouldn't be us. He used us to get that fat contract and now its time for us to use him. We cannot afford to hand over OKC anymore good young talent.