1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No he was not, not at all.

Embiid scored 8 of his 41 points against Sengun. Sengun scored 13 of his 19 points against Embiid.

Embiid went 4-11 against Sengun, 8-10 against the rest of the Rockets. All of Embiid's 17 free throws came against other Rockets, not Alpi.

2. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Better we train Tari and Cam for how to cut.
    Both better players than KMJ.
    Tari's mom is much genuine than KMJ's father also.

3. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

Alpi finished the 3rd quarter with 19/7/6 and he didn't subbed in to the game whole 4th even though embiid and maxey was on court until 5-4 minute mark. Embiid made 40 pts before sitting down while udoka sits triple double bound alpi and let Jalen pad his stats.

#11003 mirdirir, Jan 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    Ankara1923 likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's ok with me. There is an obvious plan behind that.

5. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

Would you mind telling me as well? Is it keeping him from being an all star so he can sign more cap friendly renewal?

What alpi needs more playing time, more usage and confidence as most young guys do. He is not a 33 year old star who should be rested for the playoffs.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

We need to either showcase Jalen/allow him to get more counting stats or somehow give him extra minutes to try and get him to snap out of his funk.

No point in playing your best player Alpi when the game is out of reach. That's scrub time.

Embiid was stat padding.

noppeper likes this.
  7. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Alp was benched today: 19 points
    Against Boston : 19 points
    Against Minnesota : 19 points

There is a strange consistency him to be benched when he was in 19 points.
    If he wants to play more he has to score either 18 or 20, not 19.

19 is a dangerous number for him.

8. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

Exactly, embiid was padding for his MVP campaign, so we should allow alpi to do the same for his all star campaign. I'm tired of seeing Jalen still get invested just because he is the 2nd pick despite limited returns.

9. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I counted 10 points + 2 free throws based on what I saw in this video

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Can't be, Alpi had one foul in total, and it happened when Reed actually committed an offensive foul against him (extending his forearm into Alpi's chest), but Alpi was whistled for a blocking foul.

So he cannot have caused two free throws for Embiid.

There was one score by Embiid where Alpi was nearby, but Jalen was actually the one (not) guarding him when Embiid made his shot.

So I would argue 8 points Embiid vs. Alpi.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't think Alpi needs to stat pad. I think Ime is doing the right thing. Just teach them. And teaching them to stat pad like Westbrook or sometimes Embiid means teaching them a loser mentality.

Winning - and learning how to play winning basketball - above everything. Team success above individual stats.

Alpi's stats come naturally in the flow of the game, as FVV said, and I like that.

12. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Well if Alpi is nearby, I will hold him accountable...Dont be easy on him, ATW!!!! Also, Jabari made the foul as he was coming to help but Alpi was kinda caught slow footed when Embiid started his drive from the top. So mostly it is Alpi's fault. In the video, it starts at the 6:36 mark...That is why I am saying two FTs

plegus and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. Wizman

Wizman Member

I don’t think Ime’s primary goal is to get Sengun to the all star game, nor should it be. He’s looking at the big picture. Also, I think Sengun should stay hungry. Needs to improve some areas.

Investment in Jalen’s development has nothing to do with him. I’m sure Sengun is concerned with improving himself, not the attention the franchise gives Jalen.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. invocux

invocux Member

Honestly i'm repeating myself but he did a terrific job guarding Embiid. Blocked him twice, drew a charge (put him into foul trouble), always contested his shots and Embiid missed them. You can't really ask more. Honestly he will be a very solid defender in 2-3 years. He already is hard to move in the post because of his tree trunk legs and ppl who are interested in combat sports know that power comes from legs so he already has the foundation to be a strong defender but his upper body isn't as strong yet. When you look at Sengun you see a man behind the waist line and a kid above the waist line. That contrast is keeping him from being Hulk. He will not be a shot blocker but you don't need to be a shot blocker to be called a good defensive big. You just need to be physical enough to make them shoot an uncomfortable, unorthodox shot. Centers are uncoordinated ppl you can't be 6'11, 7'1, 7'3 and still finish at the rim when someone is bothering you. These guys can't even ****ing run 50 meters without stumbling at least once they are anomalies, beasts, montrosities. They are ugly, they will live less than you and me. They are the one die first in wars. You don't have to be perfect just stand your ground stay in front of them, don't lower your hands, use your hands, slightly body check them and those ogres will miss their shots. Most of them can't even ****ing shoot to save their lives and when it's guards just don't bite on their fakes on perimeter and try to stay in front of them as much as you can. It's not even your priority it's perimeter defenders' job.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Meanwhile we passed 550 pages. 600 till All-Star break, 700 season end.

Come on boys :)

cml750 likes this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Al P doesn't need to pad his stats, it's completely useless. I don't really see the investment in Jalen, I think Udoka left him in there in garbage time to see the ball go into the basket so get some confidence into him after such a terrible shooting night. I don't think Sengun needs that

17. Wizman

Wizman Member

Wembenyama says “hi”.

18. invocux

invocux Member

Nah he says “salut”

plegus and tagedieb like this.
  19. Wizman

Wizman Member

C’est vrai.

invocux likes this.
  20. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Love Alpi's development. Let's not forget, a lot of things to keep improving on. Boston and Philly in a row is brutal, but hopefully he sees a lot of video and know where to focus. Switchability and outside shooting are going to be a must when playing against top teams.

Not in a hurry to have him in the all star game to play 5 min, confident he will get there. It's a era of all time big men in the league atm. Would rather keep him focused on our season for now, play in seems within reach.

Holybats likes this.