1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it’s time to move along from Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCRocket, Jan 10, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As said there are better players than Tari at the 17th even but this has nothing to do with 1 on 1 comparison.

Green accumulated his stats on the historic worst teams of the NBA so when he played on a Udoka team, the difference is night and day.

When you talk value then you have to see the whole picture of where prospects are at....

I agree that the Rockets do not have the necessary development coaches to make Tari into an Offensive player......no Ben Sullivan is not it.

That is also one of the reasons I am actually so down on a lot of prospects as well, the Rockets are not that good at developing young guys and every facet of their games, Sengün had to do it on his own practically.

#401 daywalker02, Jan 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why It's Time to Move on From Jalen Green:

He isn't good

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

with respect, Tari has been a better shooter than Jalen. Tari impacts the game in almost every meaningful statistical catagory more than Jalen. Tari is a much better defender than Jalen. And Tari has been hurt a lot of this year and has played less than half of the NBA minutes Jalen has. How can you say Tari isn’t improving? He’s up over last year in every statistical category accept free throws? Tari is the better prospect, and it’s not even close. And I actually think he has more potential than Jalen given what he is.

4. Ancient Moabite

Sengun had a head start being MVP in Pro league over there

Development used to be players staying 3/4 yrs in college and then it trickled down to basically one and done or straight out of HS, which hurts their development and the team drafting high in lottery is banking on potential/projection

Just compare Duncan who stayed like 3/4 yrs in college vs KG who came straight out of HS, Duncan was way more advanced (developed) and later KG caught up after first few seasons in, but he had the same potential/ability as Duncan from day one

5. Rokman

Rokman Member

Sounds like you're saying Tilman needs to shell out some mo dough and get another assistant or two.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Can we all agree that this dude completely sucks? He’s not even an NBA player let alone a starter. His only asset is scoring and he’s one of the worst in the league at that.

MarioKissoDeath, Jags, NewAge and 2 others like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They have to find ways to get championship level development guys and better scouts.....

but I get that the training facility is priority now......you got to have the Infrastructure as well.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Yeah I unfortunately concede.. Its time!

Rokman, Jags, ArtV and 5 others like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not trying to pit Tari against Jalen. I'm just using Tari as an example of a mid first round pick who is not looking like a star player. I don't see anyone not satisfied with him even though his improvement from last year is only marginal and his offensive limitations are clear. I just wonder if he was picked #2, would people want him off the team too?

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know what you mean but if Tari was given green light to shoot on another team and if he were 19 instead of 22-23 already, things look differently too.....

So yeah in Tari's case I get it, he seems to have a narrower ceiling given that 1) he is already 22. 2) he is likely not going to get a bigger role here

For Tari it is especially painful, but I hope he is a late bloomer, just because he seems to be a great guy.

May he at least be a starter somewhere. Real annoying stress fracture injury.

#410 daywalker02, Jan 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    Easy likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

See my post to @daywalker02 . I have no intention of pitting Tari against Jalen. Tari is just a convenient example of a mid first pick who does not look like going to be a star player.

I love Tari and hope his will retire a Rocket. My eye test sees him as an impactful player. But when I look at his stats, his improvement is only marginal. Every category is only slightly better than last year. His 3pt shooting is up but his TS% is unchanged. There is no good individual defensive metrics. But everybody, including Jalen, improved defensively under Udoka. His WS on both ends are actually down a little.

You say that Tari is a better prospect and it's not close. Is he a better prospect in his role as a mid first pick or is he a better prospect to be a star player?

Let me put this more clearly. Do you think Jalen Green is a good rotation player on a good team if he is used as a role player off the bench?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Tari was selected to be a starter, and Jalen was selected to be an All Star potentially fringe superstar.......

Right now Jalen is far behind his expectations but it is also understandable given we overlooked a lot of his flaws in his 1st year.

Easy likes this.
  13. Rocketsglare

Rocketsglare Member

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He's for the streets.

15. invocux

invocux Member

Our starters are 5/9 from 3pt line and he's 1/7 as a shooting guard. I loathe this guy man i don't even wanna look at his face.

Downtown Sniper and Rokman like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Street creds? Nail polish creds....I knew it.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Green will go for 25 lol now that game is done.

GotGame15 likes this.
  18. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Jalen in his comfort zone, stat padding while down 20+

19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

man some of ya'll will find anything. should have he stopped scoring in garbage time? lol

20. sage281

sage281 Member

Next year.