1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This is psychopathic. Good christ.

cbass and Dankstronaut like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

They view him as a point guard, and Udoka in the past has talked about his natural point guard skills.

He missed part of the pre-season and then was hurt for a good stretch to start this season. His conditioning was a concern too coming of two injuries.

So he was behind the 8 ball. I think he has been fine so far. He is playing on a team that doesn’t run, he has to play within the team structure and is expected to defend. Most rookies high in the lottery are not as restricted as he is.

His shooting issue was known, and it’s why he didn’t go second in the draft. The Rockets and Amen know it has to get better and they will work on it. He is never going to be a good perimeter shooter - but there is a real chance he can shoot out there like Marcus Smart or Jae Morant do - and if he does that, he will be at least an all star with the rest of his game.

Deuce, robbie380 and OremLK like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

That ****** has played less than 300 minutes in the NBA, while coming off injury and y’all talking about cutting bait on his ass.

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

Dude looks lost out there. Lost. Like freaking Nix lost. Shoot, Nix's shot was less broken than Amen's and that $hit was f'ed.

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Do yall even watch the games? Would you rather have Brandon Miller?

I will concede that the jumpshot doesn’t look good. Obviously. But y’all need to concede that the kid has made an impact on pretty much every other aspect of the game.

mario_v likes this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Amen fun facts

FG% 0-3ft from rim is .762 only lower than 2 other regular players (bonus points if you can guess without looking it up)
    FG% 16-3p is .625 (team high)
    Also tied 5th on the team in dunks with 10 despite playing like 1/4 the minutes as the dunk leaders.

Y2JT and cbass like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

you’re talking as if Brandon Miller has been bad or wasn’t a good prospect

YOLO likes this.
  8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Yes, the sky IS falling as this dude is a career 20% three point outside shooter and was picked FOURTH in the entire draft.

Rokman likes this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He has trade value now that he won’t have in two years. Boot him asap before he is found to be useless like his brother. The clock is ticking.

Rokman likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I hope for the best with Amen. He seems like he has the mind for the game. Maybe Marcus Smart is a comp for him. Terrible shooter but able to do enough everywhere else to make up for it...but even Smart shot over 30% his rookie year from 3. Whatever happens I just hope we can see him start to shoot confidently even if he is going to brick it. These airballs he has are all mental IMO. His form isn't great but it's not rookie year Lonzo or Marion level bad.

I do agree that we need to see him get some more time on the court and the early injuries really slowed him down.

Nook likes this.
  11. Rokman

Rokman Member

He's actually shooting 15% from 3 on the year.

15% PEOPLE!!

That's beyond Atrocious.

Like I said earlier, his shot is worse than Nix. That shouldn't be overlooked because he is a Rookie that was a #4 pick. That shot is a VERY serious problem.

If the Rockets think Amen and Jalen are the backcourt of the future the fans are screwed. Those two couldn't even hold Francis and Mobley's jockstraps and we all know how far their hype got us. They at least had real talent.

#591 Rokman, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  12. Nook

Nook Member

He will get more confident the more he plays. I don’t think he will shoot 30% from three this years, if he gets over 20% I will be mildly surprised.

I understand why he went to OTE, but he did himself a disservice. He would be further along if he had gone to Australia. I don’t really have a high opinion of the G-League, but even that is better than OTE.

The physical size, extreme athleticism, length, vision and desire is there- he just needs to adjust to the NBA and work harder in the gym than he ever has.

The focus will be on the three ball, but I am more optimistic on his mid range jumper. He has some natural ability at that distance.

13. BreakYoSelfFool

He's talking as if Brandon Miller was available at 4, maybe he meant Anthony Black

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

You’re the one who asked the question. Yeah I definitely would. Even cam was the preferred pick over him

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

"Career"? You mean all 260 minutes of it?

grednotto, Easy, cbass and 2 others like this.
  16. BreakYoSelfFool

I wouldn't. Amen has done more to impress me than to worry me. If he still cant shoot after 2 or 3 years with a top shooting coach, I might start to worry. Cam certainly looks like a better pick at the moment, but we got them both so why does it matter.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

That’s you and I didn’t ask

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

No brainer yes

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, that is 14% higher than what his jump shot looks like.....

20. BreakYoSelfFool

I didn't ask either...