1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. Let 'em ride

161 vote(s)
    65.4%
  1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Keep the picks for now...we are too good this season and not sure if Mikal ia going to be a huge difference

Plowman likes this.
  2. MystikArkitect

The pick will be Top 10. You can get a good center with that and then he's cost controlled.

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The more I watch this team, the more I believe any issues stem from lack of experience rather than talent. As such, keep the pick unless we’re talking about a massive talent upgrade.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I just can’t see us drafting another rook unless it’s a franchise changing player. That’s pretty unlikely in this draft, even if we pick in the top half of the lotto. We need to be very agressive in trading this pick for an impact player, or punting this pick to a future draft. It’s that simple.

Im fine doing it this offseason when we know the draft position, but it might be too our advantage to entice a team to gamble at the deadline. Either way, if there’s a prop bet on the rockets actually drafting with this pick, I’m betting they won’t.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm betting they will use that pick.

This team has 2 needs really - an efficient 2 guard and a backup big to play behind Sengun.

They aren't likely to find that efficient 2 guard immediately even if it's a top 3 pick - unless it's thru a trade .... but a backup 5 on a cost controlled contract for the next 4 years is entirely within the realm of possibility.

The 4/5 spot is the strength of this draft - both at the top and late lottery.

IF they use that pick it's on a player who can back up Sengun.

gmoney411 likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It seems to me that Holidays is a better backup to the 1, than Landale is to the 5.

So backup 5 is our weakest position IMO.
    After that, then backup 1.

Replacing both would be dandy :)

7. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Another Loss for the Nets! I think they will keep the pick then closer to draft night they will trade it for a nab ready player

8. Houston77

Supporting Member

Nets have lost 12 of the last 15. That pick is looking better and better.

9. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I'll be really disappointed if this pick is actually made and not traded. The Bridges trade is right there...

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Bridges is showing this year that he is not an all star level player. His ceiling looks like the wing version of Mike Conley. Trading picks for him when he's going to get a huge contract 2 years from now doesn't make a lot of sense for the Rockets.

BallSoHarden and No Worries like this.
  11. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Bridges has and never will be a 1A or multiple time all star. He would be perfect in the role of 2nd or 3rd guy for now with Sengun while the other young kids grow. Whoever we draft will never come to Bridges right now.

Y2JT likes this.
  12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Rockets aren't winning right now with the addition of Bridges. When they are actually ready to win in a few years Bridges will be a UFA asking for $40-60MM/yr. Why trade your best picks for a 3rd option that will be super expensive when you are ready to compete?

jcmoon and vince like this.
  13. vince

vince Member

Nets build a scrappy team that beat expectations last season. But a team built on a scruffiness play, just will not prevail in a marathon. I think the Nets are realizing that they will likely have a high draft pick, and it will belong to the Rockets. Of course they will try and pry that pick out of the Rockets grasp, but they will have to overpay, if they can even get the opportunity to buy it back.

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Brooklyn is falling away. We should get a top-10 pick this year

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Think people are too hell-bent concept of…. We cannot use the draft pick! we certainly can! The prospect may be given the almond Thompson treatment and not play a lot at first, but there are plenty of interesting, looking players in this draft, especially if we end up picking really high.

Id love to figure out a way to get Sarr. I think even just his floor really does a lot for the group of players that we have.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If you traded the pick. It does not have to be for Bridges. A top 5 team would be perfect for him. Do a 3 way trade and bring back someone else that is perhaps a bit younger and another year on their contract even if slightly worse.

17. Houston77

Supporting Member

Exactly. I don't buy this "weak draft" narrative. There's just not a consensus #1. Plus, the Nets are currently projected to pick at #9, which has about a 20% chance of moving into the top 4. I'm not opposed to trading the pick, but I'm fine with making a selection as well.

Y2JT likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand why people want players that will cost us good assets. If Bridges were going to make us an incredibly good team that will push us into 2nd round or conference finals territory, then yeah, maybe that's a good trade, but he isn't. Rockets are likely to make the play-in, but seeing the way the team is playing right now, are unlikely to advance into the playoffs since they can't close games.

I know you guys are impatient and want to get back to being in the conversation to be a threat, but this year is not the year. Unless a superstar becomes available that's young, you do not trade away those picks yet.

IvanLCPM, MrButtocks, xaos and 4 others like this.
  19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I consider Bridges a Khris Middleton level player. He's great, but not someone to break the bank for. Other second options throughout the league outclass him. I'm talking Jaylen Brown, Dame, Maxey, Bam, AD, Kyrie, Towns, Sabonis, PG, Booker, Murray type second options. Those guys have MVP caliber first options too. A Sengun/Bridges duo isn't competitive enough, IMO. If we trade for Bridges we'd soon have no cap space or draft picks to further improve. Our picks are gone to OKC. Sengun is clearly getting a max extension effective 2025.

Sengun is only 21 years old, there is time to develop his second option in house. Denver did that instead of making win now trades. OKC is doing too, being patient and surrounding SGA with their draft picks. Embiid's second star ended up being a 2020 draft pick in Maxey. Minny tried building a contender around Towns and he actually ended up being a 2nd option to ANT. You can build a supporting cast through the draft.

Houston77, jcmoon and dmoneybangbang like this.
  20. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i agree. and by the looks of it, Cam whitmore is going to be our second star we're going to develop. He may not be the second best player or even third, but he can be a fourth best player developed in-house. We will ride Sengun, Smith, Tari, and Cam see what the other two do. Sengun needs to develop a good 3 point shot to be a mini jokic. Senguns not good enough to run our offense through all the time to be a contender. We'll need another all-star creator one day on the wing once Fred comes off the books. We are a work in progress and shouldn't go all in and overpay for someone like bridges.

Plowman likes this.