1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

He hasn’t earned playing 15 min a game nor the trust of having the ball in his hands for that long. All his minutes are without FVV on the floor so not sure where the playing out of position claim comes from

#481 YOLO, Jan 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ultimately, we drafted this guy as a shot at someone that can have the ball a large percentage of the time.

I’m fine with him. Learning under Freddy for a year or two but I just think it’s going to be hard to get a real read on him until he is truly the back up point guard and FVV cedes possession.

invocux, arabrocket and BallSoHarden like this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Amen is more athletic and faster than Lonzo. Other than that, it's a good comp. Lonzo also had an ugly shooting form coming into the league and had above average size for a PG.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think the comparison of Lebron to Jokic is apples to apples.

Lebron was for most of his career a SF while Jokic is a C.

What's acceptable shooting from the two positions is not the same, a C shooting ~34% is considered very good while that's subpar for any other position.

The expectations are just different.

MrButtocks likes this.
  5. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Obviously there’s a lot of context but as it stands he’s one of the worst backups on a team that’s trying to win games.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And he is not really spectacular as advertised, people were screaming athlete of the decade .....he is not even dunking spectacularly.

Not even dunking that much.

GotGame15 and CantStopJG24 like this.
  7. New Jack

New Jack Member

Idk that he was ever billed as an athlete that can jump through the roof. He's athletic in the same way that someone like Tyrese Maxey is. He doesn't seem to have any trouble blowing past his defender any time he wants.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yep, but people on here mistake athleticism for pure speed and good body control.....I believe he is a good leaper but he chose not to play above the rim.

I guess that it is a choice he made.

9. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

The fact that him and his brother both got drafted top 5 and are unplayable on a team that’s trying to lose and another team trying to win says a lot about how bad they are right now. Amen’s jump shot might be the worst for any guard in the league.

10. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

You know what I find interesting is that for all the talk about the Thompson twins being extremely hard workers, why are both their jump shots so busted?

You seen these type of athletes all the time. They dominate their junior career on the account of being much more athletic than everyone but lack the fundamentals because why learn them if you are winning anyway?

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  11. invocux

invocux Member

He's probably 2 years away from being an NBA caliber player 4 years away from being a starter. Think about the things FVV is capable of and ask yourself if Amen has any of them in his bag. FVV is the better shooter, has better handles, probably is a better defender although i think Amen is also good, has better A/TO ratio and FVV is a mid table point guard let's be honest. We drafted an incredibly raw guard and i don't know we have any patience. Honestly with a reliable shooting guard and Tari/Brooks this team is a playoff team. I don't hate him but he's in a really bad situation.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rockets are just moving in wrong directions, they signed Free agents to Win Now but have too many Raw players.....

And structure those Win players contracts as 2-3 Year contracts while it is helping, it is more like a scenario of okay we wallow in mediocrity for 2-3 years and hope our young players take over.....

If they do not take over, then it is just another mediocre situation once FVV leaves....

invocux likes this.
  13. invocux

invocux Member

I don't think Cam and Jabari are raw prospects. I expect them to be starters next season and actually look good but i was against drafting Amen. We weren't even sure if Jalen was ever gonna be a reliable shooting guard or not yet we drafted a guy even less ready, less polished than Green. If the plan was to develop the kids by playing them alongside vets it's half working rn. Cam and Jabari are doing fine but Amen and Green are struggling badly. I think Cam and Jabari will get there i'm certain of it but Green is definitely not that guy and Amen might not be ready once FVV hangs it up. Drafting Amen was a mistake i think. Stone is extremely lucky that Cam slid down to 20.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cam was a lucky punch at 20th ......but the situation still stands that it is going to be more likely average to a little above average.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He rarely looks to dunk unless he has an open lane or has to elevate over people. He's always been that way. Again, if you're looking for a 30 point scorer and Vince Carter dunks, he doesn't play like that and never really has. He'll get dunks, but he's not looking to dunk. You're confusing athleticism with "he dunks!". His athleticism involved getting past and around people at his height with explosiveness and speed especially in transition. It also involved his ability to play average-to-above average defense against PGs and wings. His problem seems to be controlling the ball and maintaining possession in traffic, but I'm hoping that's just due to "newness" in the league/NBA defenses.

Y2JT, Nook, Easy and 2 others like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably yeah but he has to explain himself why he dislikes to dunk emphatically because he said so in an interview.

There is a reason why he has to be this low key young person.

Because dunking can fire people up and has changed momentums, it happened.

I do not think I was trying to associate dunking with athleticism, but merely stating that if you are picked 4th and you cannot help at anything else, at least dunk more as a rookie.

It has a good way of saying, you have arrived in this league.

#496 daywalker02, Jan 10, 2024
  17. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

We gave solid 2 years with Jalen so I would give solid 2 years before handing out judgement but I think he’s position should be defensive 2 or 3 where he can defend opponents ball handler. I could definitely see him playing like Dyson Daniel from Pelican who gave hell of time for FVV with his long wingspan. Amen’s goal post ain’t high like Jalen so he should be consider success if he able to manage 10/7/7

18. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Amen should honestly go to the G-League and work on his handles and shooting. He's not ready yet. He needs serious development. I like his court vision but the game looks too fast for him right now.

GotGame15 likes this.
  19. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The alternative would have been going with a bunch of young guys and not providing much needed guidance from vets like FVV, Brooks, and Uncle Jeff. These guys are crucial to getting more out of the younger guys who have a limited time to prove themselves. The culture is changing, the perception of the franchise has changed overnight so when it comes to attracting free agents they have completely turned it around. We were in a horrible place from a PR perspective, that has changed w Ime and the vets we signed. With Brooks and Tari playing, this is a better team than the way we have been playing lately.

Once FVV rolls off the books, you will have a chance to do a ton of stuff to not be stuck in mediocrity. You will have had a chance to analyze a series of young players, decide who gets paid and who is consolidated into a trade. Then you have the opportunity to sign and trade for a superstar if you do not have enough home grown stars. It is a league built on superstars if Alpi is not enough, I think you wait until the right guy comes along and stay ready for a deal to pair someone with him, we will have the pieces to make something happen when that time comes.

#499 BallSoHarden, Jan 10, 2024
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yep but I do not like this thing they made out of it.....

Structuring years to be bad, structuring years to be mediocre, and then jump and gamble at being a contender....

The reason why this organization was bad in PR was because you had a mafia like boss as Fertitta and you had a Yes man in Stone.....

You can improve but the roots of being a questionable organization will always remain with Fertitta.