1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Golf] The PGA vs LIV - Round 1 - fight!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Saudis want to own the sport of golf, and they probably will. It’s not about making a profit. It’s just something they want to possess. It’s not good for the sport from a spectator’s point of view, but that is not the goal here.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they decide they want to own professional basketball or American football.

Jontro likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

At this point, the NBA allows foreign ownership and control. MLB allows partial ownership but no control. NFL prohibits all of it.

For now. It's up to the leagues' owners to decide who they want to let into their circle of friends.

Jontro likes this.
  3. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Saudis, if they want to, can start their own league. That’s what they have done in golf. Start their own league and buy up all the players until the other league dies. They have 700 billion dollars to play with.

Jontro and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

The NBA players would have a difficult decision. The pay-scale is better in the nba than the pga. The history deeper. But again, the money would be so significant that disruption would likely occur. The Brittney Griner situation would add some serious context tho'. Would be interesting to watch.

5. Buck Turgidson

I could see that with basketball, not the others

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of any Americans playing for a Saudi owned and run sports. I'd never step foot in that country, no matter how much they paid me.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I don't have an issue with John Rahm or any other player going to LIV to play...

My issue is stop saying it's not for the money... That's pure BS.. The only person who has stated the real reason they signed with LIV as Harold Varner.. I love that he kept it real..

T_Man

Jontro and ROCKSS like this.
  8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I agree, its a bad look when a few months ago he said he didn't like the format ad he could retire tomorrow if he wanted and now low and behold he loves it. It is reported that its actually $550 million, use of a Saudi Jet and 10 staff members. He wouldnt go when it was 200 mil.......not 300 mil....not 400 mil......but 550 did the trick. I get it but stop the BS of "expanding the game" and all the BS. I don't like LIV and won't watch it but when you have that kind of money, everyone seems to have a price. No one owns golf but now the Saudis own these players

Jontro and T_Man like this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

First off, I'm new to this thread.

Does anyone really believe the Saudis will help their image in the USA and Europe by purchasing the sport of golf? This is so ham-handed and transparent.

IMO, there is a very strong chance MBS & Co. will eventually conclude it's not worthwhile to continue burning billions and the rug will be pulled. I feel the same way about their soccer league that no one pays attention to or cares about.

ROCKSS and Jontro like this.
  10. ROCKSS

I don't think LIV is in for the long haul, I don't care how much money you have you can't keep funding something that has no ROI. I love the team concept for the Ryder Cup, but not for a tour, it's an individual game. LIV playing at trump resorts tells me everyone is in it for a quick buck.....I just wish the Rahm`s of the world would stop telling us there doing it to "expand the game of golf".............your doing it for the $$$$$$$

T_Man likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

i mean I'd work for a saudi organization for 500k

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I wouldn't take a cent less than $500M.

Jontro, T_Man and ROCKSS like this.
  13. ROCKSS

Rory seemed to try and bury the hatchet this past weekend somewhat, it will be interesting to see what happens.