1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Josh Christopher - Possibly Best Value Pick w/ All-star Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I made the Sengun and Eason threads a while before they were drafted, but the JC one was after. The reason I made this trade was because it seemed like the majority of Clutchfans were not in favor of this pick and many even thought we drafted him because he was JG's friend.

When I evaluated him, I saw the inefficiency in his shooting numbers which made him slide in mock drafts, although there were rumors 1-2 teams right after the Rockets were going to pick him. JC doesn't have the vision/control of the offense to be the ball-handler/lead guard, but he has potential to be a lesser Jrue Holiday or Marcus Smart w/ worse defense/better offense.

It is very rare for someone w/ JC's level of shot creation to be above average on defense. Johnny Davis is a similar type of player that went 10th this year. If JC went back for another year, he may have been a lottery pick, so I felt it was excellent value for the 24th pick. As long as his 3 point shot is at least average, he'll have a place in someone's rotation.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's pretty awesome. The newest insider!

Drift Monkey likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I swear to basketball jesus everybody and their momma has All-Star potential these days

invocux likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

plegus likes this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You mean franchise player potential? Clutchfans only operates under role player or franchise player, no in between. You are either one of those, or you need to be kicked to the curb.

plegus, Easy, IvanLCPM and 4 others like this.
  7. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

@Reeko I'm not sure why this was bumped again. I hope you're not trying to call me out. This thread was made AFTER JC was drafted to showcase his potential as many posters thought he was drafted as Jalen Green's friend and were mainly angry. In the OP I clearly stated he was likely a bench 3/D type of player, more in the 6th man role, instead of an all-star - assuming he can shoot.

Also, JC was ranked #8 nationally in high school (247) and mocked early in the season as a late lottery pick. Please see OP and above post.

BTW, non-lottery picks have a 4.3% chance of being an all-star. Picks #22 and #23 have NEVER had an all-star (study done in 2020). According to graph in link, #20-25 picks have a 6-8% chance of being an all-star.

#307 Medicine N Music, Jan 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
    Streakshooter and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Nobody bats 1.000

plegus likes this.
  9. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Thanks.

The crazy part is, the post I made is spot on when I said "Shooting - If he does not improve with a larger sample size, it will be difficult for him to get playing time". The headline is obviously to get readers, but I don't think most people read the actual posts anymore.

I mean, the whole case is assuming he can shoot. This is like saying Amen has all-star potential if he can shoot and people getting upset and trying to call me out.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lucky for us we have about 12 franchise players on the roster, except for Jalen Green

burlesk and ElPigto like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Don't think the bump meant any harm.

It is interesting though that enough time has passed where we can revisit prospects and see which paths they are on.

Some of the opinions have answers now, no longer the abstract.

burlesk and BigShasta like this.
  12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Holiday is what I had expected Christopher to become.

backwardhead likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Fans are weird when it comes to virtual flowers and being "right". Thanks for the content. Its always well thought out and presented.

I was with you on Taylor Hendricks by the way.

burlesk and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Christopher had to become a version of Brogdon if the pick were to be relatively successful.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cam is what we hoped Christopher was like, but he isn't......he is a AAAA level player atm.

DD

16. TimDuncanDonaut

The discourse is often warped when the focus is on the ceiling (even if disclaimer is given on the low probability), instead of the more likely outcome.

#316 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
    AroundTheWorld, burlesk and Easy like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I only bumped this because the “Josh Christopher mocking Silas” thread is on the 1st page for some reason, and it reminded me of how so many people were really high on JC at one point, but now he’s basically already out of the league…JC was getting D-Wade comparisons at one point on here

Silas may have been horrible, but the nerve of a player of JC’s caliber to be mocking any coach for any reason was wild to me, and people were praising him for it

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

except for Sengunians, those guys are inspiringly humble :cool:

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. plegus

plegus Member

I dont think anyone would try to roast your takes. I hope everyone does it like you, I dont care you even if you miss them all which you clearly dont lol, well thought, well documented, both grounded and a bit of optimism sprinkled. Cant have a marginally better analysis in a biased (natually) fan forum. Keep up the good work pls and thank you for your input, very much appreciated.

AroundTheWorld likes this.