1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He did well enough tonight. Only complaint is that he bricked a bunch of open jumpers in the second half. First half was great in every way

2. cumutk

cumutk Member

He is ok.
    We are all Rockets fans and for this team to be successfull, Green is crucial.
    Fred and Sengun can not play 40 minutes and carry this team whole season.
    I believe our core of Sengun, Green,jabari abd Eason will be great in 2024, Sengun is already a superstar, others will be great also.
    Green tries , tries Hard to adjust to structured basketball and this is good, valuable.

Carpe82 and NewAge like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah he's on a super hot 3pt streak in this stretch, so I'm guessing there will be some open misses as his 3PT% normalizes.

Night to night doesn't really matter with Jalen, the only factor in whether he's developing well for us is if he can have long stretches of being a good version of himself. He could drop 50 next game and our #1 thing should still be: can he just stay consistent. We don't need 50. We need 20-25 good points and high effort defense. That's what his report card will judge him on at the end of the season.

We need fewer bad nights and to do that we have to take away some of the shots that result in him sometimes having big nights. We're bringing him closer to the center and that's good for him. From there he'll be able to keep building on his game. Working on that huge variety of shots he's mediocre at making (Stepback/contested 3's, middies, forced drives to the rim) off the court not on the court. All those things need to be done later and slower. Right now, just give me more decisive 3pt shooting and if the rim is vulnerable attack it full force. Other than that, just pass the ball quickly. Cam is the perfect blueprint actually, he only takes 2 types of shots 99% of the time: 3pter or bulldoze to the rim. Why do anything else before you're good at these two fundamental offensive actions? Prime Eric Gordon is also a good model here.

This is the best 6-game stretch of Jalen's career in terms of overall scoring, being unselfish, giving effort and playing defense. Team is 3-3 in that stretch missing two key players. Good quarters or halves or games are just as meaningless as bad ones at this point in Jalen's career. Jalen needs to look good in a ten game stretch and like every other scorer in that stretch he'll miss open shots and have bad games.

Exciting steps.

BigMaloe and cmlmel77 like this.
  4. plegus

plegus Member

Naaa if he drops 50 while playing in the context of Ime teamplay I will lose my mind here and I dont care bro.

BigMaloe and Mathloom like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he drops 50 then there is not much team play, probably all the other options have dried out and only he has the hot hand.....

I remember Eric Gordon going 50 on the road and in Utah......he basically could not miss.

6. plegus

plegus Member

I mean there are several scenarios I can come up with. I disagree. Yes it is unlikely, not impossible by any means.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is more likely than the scenario that the Offense is humming and someone scores 50 and other also score 10....

But get ready to lose your shet, I would not......

With the Wizards and Blazers on the schedule, a lot can happen.

plegus likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Meh. If he were a Piston this season, he would have put up 50 already. He's had 40+ games in the past. Lots of 30+. I would not think he's taken a step up just because of a pure scoring outburst. I guess if he happened to play amazing defense and get lots of assists too (plus the W), that's a different type of big game than he's ever had.

Of course I'd be happy about that game, but it wouldn't change my outlook: give me 3 more good games to make a good 10-game stretch. I'll judge his numbers at the end of game 40. If the 10-game average sucks and he had a 50point game, I would still be disappointed.

9. plegus

plegus Member

You are being cautious and it is not unwarranted but I prefer to get excited :rolleyes:

#1149 plegus, Jan 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    Mathloom likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Haha fair enough. I would be excited about the game itself of course.

plegus likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At least your 30 game prediction of him turning it around has happened only in spurts......

And a 6 Game Road trip is ahead.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

As I expected, statistically he was due for a bad game. I'm not even sure why Udoka had him in there in the 4th and the team had no intention of giving him shots. Surely he wasn't in there for his defense tonight. Cam was playing well and Jabari might have been better in there.

We remain on course. Goal is to do well for these next 3 games, completing a nice 10 game stretch.

13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

His shooting was ass but he wasn’t worse on defense than anyone else this game…if anything the guys behind him were ****ing up even more.

I’ve tempered my expectations this season but I do think Jalen’s sort of found his way in this offense a bit. He needs to make his damn shots though

BigMaloe and Mathloom like this.
  14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah but he's been shooting like 45% from 3pt range over the stretch. If stats have to normalize, this is how they normalize. By players missing the same shots they normally make. Was expecting it. Didn't stop me from cursing on a couple of his misses but it is what it is.

Roomba likes this.
  15. Melik

Melik Member

Exactly. His defense was so good. He was great. He was like Michael Jordan. He was so good that he played the best defense on this planet. ahahahahahaha what a comment. I'm laughing my ass off. Stop making idle talk.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

His shooting was not there tonight, but he was able to draw some contact and he was contributing elsewhere. solid rebounding and assists again.

He was 4th in shot attempts, not like he was chucking or hurting us offensively. He was just taking the open shots the defense gave them and was missing those looks.

I dont think his defense and effort was that great tonight but i also feel that way about the entire team tonight.

Roomba likes this.
  17. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Is that what I said? I never knew I was so hyperbolic.

Maybe you should go chill in the hallway while the adults in the room are talking.

18. Melik

Melik Member

Then why don't you start walking around the room? Congratulations on your self-suggestion. hahahahahaahha

19. GoT

GoT Member

It is all about “value”. Jalen has a value as a starter and a different value as a bench player. We are almost mid season. Cam is literally outplaying Jalen in any possible way, and should literally start before Jalen. They are not going to bench him now. I think that decision is coming from the top. Udoka is just praying that jalen gets hurt, so he can start Cam without having to make “THE” decision.

20. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you're even a smidge as funny or intelligent as you think you are.

See, I'm not the smartest guy around but at least I'm aware of it, and people around me generally LIKE being around me.

You're trying to get a rise out of me, but due to your lack of language skills and low effort you're only going to make yourself look worse than you already do.

I won't try to tell you what to do, because I'm not your father. But I wish your father could see what you've become. I'm sorry, my sweet, sweet boy.

plegus and BigMaloe like this.