1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Up to 39% from 3.

Needs
    More
    Shots

2. kpdark

kpdark Member

3. kpdark

kpdark Member

instead of being the price to get the other, a Jabari + Lauri pairing would be intriguing - and Jabari could learn a lot from Lauri

Easy likes this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think it's actually fairly important for us to find out if he can handle a higher scoring load and keep up this efficiency (or close to it) on more volume, because it informs trade decisions at the deadline and in the offseason. Do we push in chips for a guy like Lauri, or do we stand pat and let internal development do the work for us?

It would be good to have a clearer picture of whether Jabari is more of a really good roleplayer like a taller/better rebounding version of Cam Johnson or Harrison Barnes, or whether there's more in there in terms of creating and making tough shots. Is he a #3/#4 option on offense or is he going to be good enough to be the second-best player on a championship contender? Inquiring minds would like to know, and the only way to find out is to get him the ball more often.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

His ankle injury put a halt to the momentum he had going. He was well on his way to forcing the offense to allow more opportunities. All good in time it will happen again.

like I said previously he plays within the offense and doesn’t chuck. That speaks to his efficiency

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like how he bumped up to a chest diving Giannis.

clos4life likes this.
  8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Smith has played well this year. I think he expands on his offense over the next 18 months to become a relative superstar.

9. MystikArkitect

Two way superstar. 19-21 PPG. 40%+ from 3. Elite defense. Teams constantly contending.

Strawberry Gum and Losmi_34 like this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'm not trading him for Lauri Markannen. You don't trade 6'11 guys shooting 39%, grabbing tons of rebounds with elite lateral quickness and flashing insane defensive potential. Those guys don't get traded for good reason.

Defense is half the game. 50%. It's not a small thing that Jabari is the better defender with much higher defensive potential.

There's no rush to be better than we are until we know what we have in all these guys.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

No doubt, but I’m thinking he might score a couple more points than that.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If we can get him without giving up one of our core young guys, including Amen, Tari, and Cam, then I’d take him. If Cam overtakes Green then maybe he could be tossed in, but it is way too soon to make a trade like that. No way we should trade Jabari.

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

I wouldn't mind us play Jabari at the 3 more often with Sengun and Uncle Jeff at the 4/5, particularly with these bigger teams that give us a lot of trouble (Lakers, Wolves, Bucks). Jabari's bread and butter is his jumper and he would easily be able to shoot over any small forward

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is what I've always believed Jabari would become in the NBA.

I doubt he ever becomes an alpha scorer, but his presence on the floor will open things up for everyone else.

Bo6 likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Landale, Tate, Holiday, Boban, Bullock and our G-leaguers are the only guys I am willing to trade, period.

Certainly, some combination there of can net us a backup big, which is our only clear need at this time IMO.

A_3PO likes this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Is Jabari an enforcer???

Find it interesting, especially in hindsight and enduring that 2nd half of reffing, that they pulled the tape back to find out why Jabari ran down the court to elbow Jackson.

Of course he almost killed Giannis in that violent collision later in the game, does he need a month off like Draymond?

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah I said this before but my favorite thing about him is that he never forces it. He's the ONLY starter we have that doesn't force it. Sengun forces it constantly when it's not there, last night was maybe the worst example of this all season. Jalen Green forces bad shots a lot, although it's way down this year compared to past years. Fred loves to chuck up terrible shots early in the shot clock for no real reason, and then Dillon Brooks gets that look on his face where he thinks he's Kobe and starts trying dribble moves into long twos.

I'm happy with Jabari taking the shots he takes now. If he is comfortable with taking more then he can take more. It's really up to him, because he passes up shots pretty frequently, and I'm fine with that. He knows when he's feeling it, he knows when he can get a good shot off, and he knows when he thinks he can make it. It's a great skill to have and I think it's a big part of why his efficiency has gone up so much. You could see it in his big scoring games, he knows he has it going and he's really feeling confident, so he stops passing up shot opportunities and starts to be more assertive. I really just wanna keep letting Jabari be Jabari.

YOLO likes this.
  18. invocux

invocux Member

Very unpopular opinion but he probably shouldn't take more than 12 shots. I'd rather prefer a reliable shooting guard, sengun and Fred to lead our offense and Jabari to be our defensive leader with Brooks. We shouldn't force him to be a 2 way player. 1.5 is fine.

19. invocux

invocux Member

If you think his floor is slightly lower than Markkanen's prime his floor in ur opinion must be sth like 23/10/2 with good D. So his ceiling is what 26/12/3 with good defense? So we have a future x7 all-star in our hands. I think his prime is pre-injury MPJ. He looked incredible in that season. 45% from 3pt line (6.3 attempts) averaging almost 1 block a game. Jabari is a better defender but it's so strange people were even back in the day were calling MPJ stiff on both ends. He could only score off of catch and shoots and cuts. I can't watch him and imagine him being a significantly better player than MPJ. I really like MPJ though if he becomes as good as MPJ that means we nailed the draft.

subtomic likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not interested at all man. Firstly I have no interest in moving Jabari out of position - he's a key prospect who is peaking in his career and the trajectory is crazy good. I'm not moving him to the 3 and Lauri cannot guard 3's.

Lauri is not a great defender and he's not a 1A scorer. He's Julius Randle with better shooting and worse rebounding/strength basically. To be worth acquiring, we have to extend him. To extend him we'll have to pay the max. I don't think he's proven he's worth the max and personally I don't think he ever will. IMO he would be worth $30m/season but he won't agree to that.

I'm only interested in assets that can be worth the max. Everything else we can develop internally, draft them or sign them for cheap.

I don't get the point of consolidating young players and picks and not getting a max-worthy player back. That's something I might think about starting in the summer. Right now for all I know we could be trading them two assets who can be worth $30m themselves. Why would I do that? We haven't failed at any milestone.

jcmoon likes this.