1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka felt like loss to Timberwolves was "our worst game of the year"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 5, 2024.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It was pretty obvious from the start we were outmatched because of the size difference and star power..

When Ime went to our bench of Cam and Amen, two rookies.. The Wolves still had Edwards and Gobert with their bench so they just destroyed us there.

We're probably 2 years out in player development from actually having enough depth to compete with them on a night like yesterday where we have guys injured.

Dobbizzle and groovemachine like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nah, this is the result of paying FVV 40 and Dillon 28 million, while it seemed it was okay it also left the bench with players like Landale, Holiday, 38 year old Uncle Jeff.......

If you do not value bench that much, then over a season of 82 games you will experience a meltdown.......because you are not that deep.

Most teams do not just sit around and develop depth, they pay dearly for depth with hard earned money.

3. karakedi

karakedi Member

With the addition of a big backup(more deffensive than alpi) and a shooting guard(Able to create own shot) this team will make the playoffs.

daywalker02 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The fact we're above .500 shows you his experience

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Frank also called it the Rafael Stone loss because the bench is so poorly constructed.

'You got 5 guys that are unplayable.'

'Overperformance by Sengün, FVV, Brooks and Udoka.'

'Jae' Sean getting cooked and his possessions are a gift to the Wolves. '

#45 daywalker02, Jan 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

Genuine question. Has Ime taken responsibility for any aspect of a game we’ve lost?

Dankstronaut and daywalker02 like this.
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Minny is one of the best teams in the League, and gives us big matchup problems right now. We're a work in progress. Not surprising.

AroundTheWorld, Y2JT, ArtV and 2 others like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I didn’t watch last night, but yeah, it looks like they got their asses handed to them in embarrassing fashion

we’ve played 20 home games already and just 13 road games where we are an awful 3-10…nervous for where we might end up in the standings once the schedule starts to even out more

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

On the other hand, our remaining strength of schedule is the 10th easiest (.490 win/loss percentage).

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Losing to the Spurs was worse. Way worse.

clos4life likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And Minnesota has the 2nd easiest remaining schedule ......but they still lost 2 before the Houston game.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I give them a pass on that one because it was the second game of the season under a new coach and with a remade roster, and at least it was close. If they lost against the Spurs now, it would be the worst game of the season.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

they lost the game because they couldn’t shoot free throws that night.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, not really. This game showed more than that! Size and length. I have been saying this since the Rockets lost against the Lakers in the playoffs, when we had Westbrook.

SIZE MATTERS, YOU CAN NOT CONTINUE TO RUN THESE SMALL TEAMS OUT THERE AND EXPECT TO WIN.

It starts in the paint. And as good as Sengun is, he is just too small. And before all the SOFs take offense, I have voted for him numerous times for the All-Star game, because I am a Rocket's fan.

But can you imagine the Rockets playing against Minnesota in a 7 game playoff series?? It would be over before it started. Even with Brooks and Tari....they are just too small.

One of two things have to happen, you have to surround Sengun with bigger players OR get a bigger center.

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I spoke about this last night. He had some success going into halftime with a big lineup of Sengun, Jabari and Jeff Green but went away from it to start the 2nd half.

We just couldn't match their size and length.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

If everybody develops as we expect/hope, I think we already have almost enough size around Sengun already once we transition into contender status in a few years.

Jabari - 6'11"
    Tari - 6'8" (7'2" wingspan)
    Amen - 6'7" (7'0" wingspan)
    Cam - 6'7"

In terms of getting more size/length, the only thing I think we need is a legit backup center--having to run a small ball 5 like Uncle Jeff out there against these bigger teams is a problem. Ideally we'd have somebody Myles Turner-esque who can block shots and knock down threes. But barring that, at least a traditional rim-running/shotblocking big like Daniel Gafford.

IMO our biggest problem isn't height/length, it's that we don't have anybody who can reliably go get a bucket at the perimeter. Sengun is a great hub but he needs somebody to pass it to that can just beat almost anybody 1-on-1 and score efficiently.

karakedi and clos4life like this.
  17. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

Not having Dillon and tari really hurt us on this one. If we're not tall enough we gotta be strong enough to keep position on both ends. Until Bari fills out we need to add a big that can mix it up. Wolves bigs rotation is pretty elite though. They'll give everyone issues.

Patience and daywalker02 like this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I listen to Frank on occasions but I think he's too analytical sometimes and tend to shy away from practicality. However, this time, he is 1000% correct!

Our roster is flawed! We need more size! We need shooting! All things I have been clamoring for. The league is changing and its like we are stuck in time....SMALL BALL IS OUT

'Overperformance by Sengün, FVV, Brooks and Udoka.'

'Jae' Sean getting cooked and his possessions are a gift to the Wolves. '[/QUOTE]

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I listen to Frank on occasions but I think he's too analytical sometimes and tend to shy away from practicality. However, this time, he is 1000% correct!

Our roster is flawed! We need more size! We need shooting! All things I have been clamoring for. The league is changing and its like we are stuck in time....SMALL BALL IS OUT

20. invocux

invocux Member

I agree we were missing our two best defenders Brooks and Tari and they were huge McDanies 6'9, Gobert 7'2, Kat 7ft i reckon Tari would've forced some turnovers had he played. When they are both out it our defense collapses as expected.