1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

napalm06, clos4life and Believe It! like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheBeastSystem, clos4life and maypk like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks for bumping this thread. Re-reading it with the benefit of hindsight is very entertaining.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Nope.

5. CertifiedTroll

Nice, I have thought about that comment a few times these past two years, but didn't know how to search it up. Poor take!

Patience, napalm06, clos4life and 6 others like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Would you have drafted him at 23/24 though? :cool:

7. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

We didn't select any @Medicine N Music players in the 2023 draft but I believe he wanted Lively, who is off to a great start and would be an awesome backup center for us!

8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There was a time when Lively was projected to be in the mid-1st round and some were mocking him to us. I didn't think he would last until 20, but I really thought he would be good fit for us. I posted he would be a "must draft" if he's at 20.

For the realistic #20 pick, I wanted Kris Murray as it's very easy for me to imagine him having a 10+ year NBA career being a rotational player or maybe even a starter. Obviously no one thought Cam would last until this pick. I'm glad we picked Cam and think he will be a Corey Maggette type player with a 3 point shot, which is very good. However, I highly doubt he would be a star that some on this board think he can be.

9. plegus

plegus Member

Can you elaborate on why do you highly doubt? I mean Maggate projection tells a lot but want to hear from you, is it something intangible like tunnel vision, selfishness, lack of sth or his wingspan, ball skills etc? Dude feels like he can tear the game apart in 2 minutes. I wont act like I am good at projections but I feel like he has the highest potential to be an unstoppable force in our roster.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. maypk

maypk Member

Sadly, re-reading this thread wasn't any different than reading any Alperen-related thread today, except there's nobody talking about how Jokic has no chance of winning the NBA championship with the defensive shortcomings he has.

The posters who have been high on him since day 1 are still high on him, and the posters who believe he shouldn't be picked even with the 23rd or 24th pick still think he's never going to be a star player.

Honestly, I don't understand why it is so hard to admit that you were wrong when you were wrong.

CXbby, Patience, Richie_Rich and 3 others like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

13. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Is it slightly less laughable to say this in 2024??

Patience and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"Nope" ;)

AroundTheWorld and 13 in 33 like this.
  15. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

It's a very fun revisit!

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol. @CertifiedTroll username checks out

I think my negativity at this time was completely colored by my disdain for Tilman and Stone. They had done almost nothing right before this, and went out of their way to do things that hurt long term value. This was the start of a more positive direction, which seemed very unlikely at the time, so I could never have imagined Sengun panning out like he has.

Maybe I'll also be very wrong about Jalen Green? Please?

#1996 napalm06, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    topfive likes this.
  17. napalm06

Speaking of bad takes.

This was right before the Nuggets fixed their roster construction and made a total fool out of the doubters (me). Before this, faster-footed players ran circles around him and he got punked by lob threats. Think guys like Capela. How the times changed... Jokic really became the unicorn.

I did not think the era of the point-center/postman would come back, and I got smacked in the face.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I like this game!

[​IMG]

19. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

What is your take on jalen green?

20. napalm06

He's a great athlete with a subpar basketball IQ and bad shot selection. He has a very below average handle and even though his turnover rate isn't super high it often prevents him from getting where he wants to go. He's very bad at using screens. He has no mid-range or running shots so if the rim is sealed he has to rely exclusively on his mediocre 3 point shooting. He can't dictate an NBA game, he can only take what he gets. I just don't see a ceiling unless he develops some go-to moves.

My original opinion on Sengun was that he was crafty and competitive but that the speed and physicality of the NBA game would hurt him and he wouldn't be able to adapt to switching defense, protect the rim, or get his shot over NBA defenders consistently. I thought he'd be a 7th-8th man type. Pretty much all of that ended up being wrong. I'm fine with that.

Amen Thompson could go the way of Jalen, however I think his IQ and feel for the game are better and that's a really critical key to long-term projections. I really don't want him to become Ben Simmons, even though people still argue Ben Simmons is fine.

Cam Whitmore: TBD. More polished offensive game and shot mechanics than Jalen, I haven't seen enough of him in the NBA to know his work ethic and bball IQ. At worst I think he'll be an 18 ppg sixth man. Upside, no idea.

#2000 napalm06, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024