1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn (and our stash of gold) - Sellers at the deadline? What's their next move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. invocux

invocux Member

Bridges is 27. He would play at this level until 32-33. There are plenty of old players in the league still doing fine. Look at Hardaway he is avering almost 18ppg at 31. Sengun and Jabari will be in their primes while Bridges is still good.

2. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I don’t mind giving up those picks for Bridges, in fact I prefer it but there would be a massive logjam. It’s a logjam now at the wing and that’s without adding a 35 mpg player. You would have to find a way to get off Brooks not because he sucks but because he would have no use. I’m not trading Jalen to make room for Bridges either.

jcmoon likes this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Three of the six vets we added this season are free agents in the summer. Only Brooks' contract extends past 2026. I'm guessing that Tate, Holiday, Jeff Green, Bullock, and Landale will not be re-signed. Running out of roster spots is a short-term issue. Amen and Cam's time is coming.

Y2JT likes this.
  4. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I would trade Oladipo, Tate, Bullock and Landale for picks to help us trade for Bridges.
    We would obviously need to give them a mix of their picks back and some young talent but I’d keep Jalen Green(if possible) and Amen Thompson. I expect them to play well with the additional talent.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Neither Oladipo, Tate, Bullock and Landale are young talents, they are all beyond 27 or 28....our so called redundant players.

People are only giving you couple 2nd rounders.....Oladipo is dead weight at this point.....

Tate for a 2nd rounder, Bullock is vet minimum and Landale are dead weight too....

Tate overachieved with Udoka but that was all.....

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

This is one of the biggest problems with getting Bridges. We already have a really good 3 and D SF. Giving up a ton of picks to add Bridges who is a worse defender but better offensive player doesn't make much sense.

IvanLCPM, ElPigto and Plowman like this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Bridges can play SG. If Jalen has truly turned it around, then we don’t need him. If he has not Bridges would be a great fit. He has 2 years left on his contract and they would probably extend him unless Cam turns out to be great. If we could pick up Claxton then we would have an incredible rotation next year for sure:

FVV
    Bridges
    Brooks
    Jabari
    Sengun

Amen
    Jalen
    Cam
    Tari
    Claxton

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Bridges is a 20pt scorer at high efficiency. That's exactly what we want from Jalen Green and/or Cam Whitmore.

RedRedemption, Y2JT, jim1961 and 2 others like this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bridges, even at his worst, is really damn good, and he is on a great contract for what he provides.

I am not giving up any young players, but I'd be very tempted to hand some of their picks back.

Fred/Amen
    JG/Cam
    Bridges/DB
    Jabari/Tari
    Alperen/(Claxton or Sharpe)

My goodness...

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

If you believe in Alperen Sengun, are there many better players than Bridges to put next to Jabari and Alperen?

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think the Rockets also want a good finisher that can get to the line often at that position. Bridges efficiency is solid but 45/36/83 numbers with 5 FTA isn't worth all of your draft capital imo.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd trade either Green or Whitmore and their picks (plus contract fillers) for Bridges. You always want to have a sure thing than the potential unless the potential is other-worldly high. The ceiling of those young guys may be a little higher than what Bridges is, but it is very uncertain whether they will ever reach the ceiling.

RudyTBag likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

BTW all the speculation about Brooklyn being on the precipice always ends up jinxing us, Cam Thomas will probably score 50 points tonight and the Rockets will lose.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. But I think the emergence of Sengun changes a lot of things. Do we really need a high volume "first option" anymore if the offense centers around Sengun?

jcmoon, SamFisher and RudyTBag like this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

The idea of a team that can get out and switch on defense with Bridges and DB is nasty work.

Reminds me of the Artest/Battier SG/SF combo we had with Scola and Yao. (Jabari and Alperen...) :D

I'd also want Sharpe or Claxton back.

Y2JT and Easy like this.
  16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Probably. Look at how bad the Nuggets are when Murray is out. Having a legit shot creating wing scorer will make Sengun's life much easier imo.

BaselineFade and Easy like this.
  17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

You need a master cutter/shooter who can also defend at a high level.

Bridges type of players don't become available very often... He can give you what AG and MPJ give Denver, probably even more.

Easy likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Fair point. Ideally you keep all the young pieces.

Bridges is nice, but the keys to their own kingdom through 2027 should be enough.

jcmoon and Easy like this.
  19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Better to have a "first option" and not need it than to need one and not have it. And if MVP bigs like Embiid and Giannis need high volume options like Dame and Maxey then it would be nice for Sengun to have one too. Otherwise, you'd putting a huge load on his shoulders.

Deckard and SamFisher like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's why I'd trade only one of them and keep either Green or Whitmore. I don't know if either of them will turn out as good as Jamal Murray. If the young guy we keep can come off the bench to create shots when the offense stagnate, that would be ideal.

gmoney411 likes this.