1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets vs 76ers - 12/29/2023 - Last Play (with video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, it sucked, but he was pretty much put in an impossible scenario given his skillset and the specific situation at the time. The pass never should have gone to him in the post with only a few seconds left in the clock.

The other option of him passing into a turnover isn't really better.

If he was Sengun, maybe he pulls off some crazy pass that leads to a decent look from 3 at the buzzer, but it's not reasonable to expect him to be able to pull that off in that situation.

The first mistake was allowing Jalen Green to handle the ball, it should have been FVV.

ashleyem likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Yes. I doubt it was an all or nothing play.... we needed to score and Jalen passed to the guy who could have scored at the basket. Jalen taking the shot was the primary option no doubt but he was covered.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He could have scored a contested 2 when you needed 3....

4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Coach's fault in my book for having that play and that lineup. They clearly didn't respect Landells shot so all that pick do was draw a double team to green. Tates value there (if you really wanted him in there) was to inbound the ball. That way you would have had the threat of VF on the floor also. Tate would have also been a better screener than landale bc he is more likely to find a open shooter.
    Whitmore should have been out there in my opinion as well. So all in all, bad job coaching staff

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Jalen made the more efficient play, it just wasn't the heroic play. I'd rather he sticks to choosing the more efficient play for the time being - we're trying to build those habits. The ability to make a clutch 3pter from 25ft over 2 defenders is not something he urgently needs to learn. He provided plenty for his role on this team and it's all about having another above average game next (hopefully with a W).

Btw, Lebron is the rare superstar who does the same thing. Often chooses the more efficient play over the heroic play in late clock situations.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

OK I guess....

I think coach said the opposite - that Jock was in to screen.

I don't mind Jalen making a mistake. He had a great game and was big in the 4th, but at a young age made an error. Hopefully he learns from it?

7. cumutk

cumutk Member

Problem is we have one of the lowest basketball iq guard in Jalen in NBA.
    He cant make plays and has no decision Making.
    This kid has to learn proper, professional basketball and has to learn to read the game.
    He can never have the court vision or basketball iq of Van Fleet or Sengun, but at least may learn some plays and how to manage these..
    His main objective should be shooting...
    That last play was terrible....

8. JW86

JW86 Member

At fault:
    1. Ime - wtf is that lineup?
    *2. Jock - set a proper screen will you and then learn to go for a lay-up and pass it out if you don’t have an angle.

*Whoever decided that we should go for a quick two, which is what it seemed like the way Jack moves and Green doesn’t even look to score.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Falling into a trap set by the defense with 0 chance of scoring more than 2 when you need 3 in the final seconds of a game isn't "efficient".... but it's not really his fault, Jalen isn't a competent ball handler, he shouldn't have had the ball in his hands in that situation.

Nook and Hank McDowell like this.
  10. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Sengun would've looked at Holiday in the corner to draw Pat Bev over then hit a wide-open Vanvleet on the left wing for the game-tying 3 as time expires.

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I said it before, but this was just a bad play. I don't really fault anyone specifically, it was just a mess all around. You had open guys in the corners, so the design wasn't bad even if the personnel wasn't ideal. The execution was flawed when Jalen couldn't get a good look and panicked giving it to a cutting Landale. He should have kicked it back out but I don't think he could because of his momentum. With the clock ticking down it was just a hot mess. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose!

12. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Ime thinks otherwise.

13. dmoneybangbang

Jock was in there to screen as the primary action was for Jock to set a screen to get Jalen a good look at a 3pt shoot. However, Philly blew that up.

Jalen could have taken the highly contested 3 point shot or make the pass to find a better shot. I think both outcomes are reasonable, but folks would probably b**** either way.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

Which stops the clock with under a minute left..... He would have scored with 4 seconds left giving the Rockets a chance to foul Philly again and potentially setting up a game tying or winning 3. Are the odds slim at that point? Absolutely, but it gives them a chance.

Or Jock could have passed to the open shooter in the corner.

Again, I don't think this was an all or nothing play. It just didn't work out. Sucks Sengun fouled out but Jock was the best screener left and had a pretty decent game until the last play.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

....And he was clearly wrong. Hopefully he learns his lesson.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can't just have one option in a play unless you only have less than 2 seconds left. Things don't always happen as you plan. And you can't totally predict how the defense will do. You've got to have a second option. Udoka said in the postgame interview that the play was a pick and pop. So there was at least an intention that the big guy was a threat to get the ball and shoot the tying shot. Jock was a non-threat. The double team on Jalen was guaranteed.

Besides, if the center's job is only setting a screen, then Boban should be the guy. Landale's screen sucked. It almost looks like he intentionally slipped and rolled.

Also, like someone has pointed out, if you need 3 points to tie the game and you have about 10 seconds, you should put in 5 best 3pt shooters to give you more options. Landale and Tate are bad 3pt shooters.

I think the only excuse for the play calling is that it was a developmental opportunity to get Green a high pressure shot.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which stops the clock with less than 5 seconds left AND the 76ers have possession of the ball.

And that's only if one of your worst players manages to score a contested shot in the paint....and that he doesn't attempt to pass to one of the corners and get the ball picked off.

There's just no room for arguing this one my guy. Jalen had an otherwise really good game, but he was put into a situation he's not equipped to handle, and he made a mess of it. It's okay to admit that.

18. dmoneybangbang

Based off one end of game play? I would assume Ime is smarter than that.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Based off his entire career thus far.

20. dmoneybangbang

That's right. You'd have to foul them again.... you've seen how the end of close games go in the NBA? This isn't some novel concept.

And I am more correct. Your singular hate is clouding your vision.