1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Scoot isn't worse unless you are blind. Scoot looks the part of a NBA player:

Just as you are bad mouthing Scoot, he is at 19 pts, 11 assists in 28 minutes tonight. Scoot is solidly a NBA player at the moment.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That's cool but nobody we picked the best player on the board. I would obviously much rather have had Scoot, Wemby, or Miller but we weren't in the position to acquire them. We got unlucky and had to settle on Amen.

3. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

This is true. Aside from Lively, no lottery pick is really making a mark. The majority of them aren't even playing. The better players are past the 17 mark and no one would justify drafting any one of them. It was a bad draft and an especially a bad draft to have the 4th pick. This is a lost season for Amen pretty much unless Fred gets hurt(knock on wood).

RedRedemption likes this.
  4. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Anthony Black looks underwhelming, Balial's putting up 9 points on a team on pace to lose at least 60 games, Jarice Walker can't find rotation minutes. Hendricks can't score more than 5 a game on a bad team.

Nobody wanted Lively at 4.

roslolian and RedRedemption like this.
  5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Common sense says that a modern day PG that can't shoot is just not going to be good in the league. I hope to be proven wrong or that Amen can find a way to be effective with teams not respecting his jumpshot, but luckily we aren't going to be contending anytime soon. Amen needs the same time that Bari and Sengun got.

And if we give him that time and he sucks then we can relentlessly **** on him like I've been ******** on Jalen all season.

Imanimal likes this.
  6. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

Yo this board is starting to become embarrassing. Are we really saying this? He’s played like 8 games.

BaselineFade, Y2JT, mario_v and 4 others like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

8. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Exactly. It's why I wasn't a fan of the pick. If you can't shoot as a guard, you have no place in the league. Ben Simmons was nearly unplayable in the playoffs. Best case scenario is that he's Rondo but Rondo might be a top 10 player when it comes to IQ and knowledge which allowed him to get away with it to a certain extent. Not to mention his playmaking is probably top 5-10 all time.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I had my pre draft concerns about Amen but picks 4 thru 11 haven't really shown much. After I've seen him play a little I can see his upside and if he magically gets confidence shooting 3s then his upside skyrockets. His mid range shot actually looks solid.

Also, it's hard to spike the football and celebrate about being right when no one in our range of picks has done much.

Astrodome and glimmertwins like this.
  10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...who recently was shooting worse than Amen Thompson. Maybe he edged ahead of Amen after the last couple of games, but when I last checked less than a week ago, Amen had better shooting percentages. I'm not saying Scoot doesn't look like an NBA player, but the point is all the draft picks have underwhelmed so far so we shouldn't get all bootie hurt because the guy we took in this draft is one of many struggling to make any sort of impact this year.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Exactly right.

12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen is a elite point guard, he needs more minutes(nba experience) and continue to improve his shooting

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Should have drafted Cam Whitemore

Imanimal, vince, ApolloRLB and 3 others like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

This board learned nothing from Jabari.

Noob Cake the best example talked all that trash about Jabari last year now he's doing the same thing to Amen.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does not exactly leave the mark that folks here wanted him to do.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Elite PG with zero jumpshot and weak handles? There must be a new definition of elite

17. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

The defenders in here sound exactly like sour Detroit fans defending their multitude of busts nightly.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Amen at the moment is showing he can be more of a wing tertiary creator rather than some full time pg.

It's not like he's that much younger than Green and his handle is still weaker than Green, someone most people here would not trust having PG ball handling duties.

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

That's the crazy thing, he's less than a year younger than Green. And yet less than a week ago I've seen people post that Green's a total bust and Amen's a future HOF level talent. The cognitive dissonance is insane at this point. Several 30 and 40 pt games in a young career so far is a bust, barely able to do a thing in a game is HOF...

vince likes this.
  20. New Jack

New Jack Member

I'm at a point where offensively I don't really care what he can do this season. I'm confident he can at least get to the point where he's passable on offense. We're scoring enough points to win these games. We're just never going to be one of these teams that are gonna beat teams in a shootout.

Defensively, we're getting absolutely torched by opposing guards (Maxey, Young, Mitchell, Lillard, Haliburton, Gordon). Maxey was getting to the rim at will last night and there was nobody on the court that could stop him. We desperately need an all-defense level guard in the backcourt (in addition to a rim protecting backup center) and Amen has all the tools to be one.