1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Daishen.....Nix!!??

AAAAAHHHH, MY EYES!!!!!:confused:

Jontro and jim1961 like this.
  2. Rokman

Rokman Member

I wish I could like this TWICE. That is the post of the year.

He went from being the Franchise to Daishen Nix within 6 months. Tragic.

3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I am not a fan of the scenarios throwing so many of our young players and picks for an upgrade at this stage, a lot of this team's success is due to older Vets like Jeff Green, and guys like FVV, Brooks, Holiday making huge contributions, I have not see enough from our young core to be able to decide who is going to be involved in a deal outside of Jalen, because much of the contributions from some guys does not seem sustainable 2-3 years from now.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. StroudAndYorDaddy

Crazy we said no to James harden, jalen green would way better next to harden than fvv and Ive grown to like the fvv signing

5. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

I was worried about Jalen but never mad at him but tonight’s game he really pissed me off. We’re getting blown out but he is actually having good time because his shot is falling. You look at his body language he is upbeat but when we’re blowing them out but he’s having a bad game he looked dishearten.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His shot isn't really falling, he's just being allowed to keep chucking, which always puts him in a good mood. It only upsets him when he's not allowed to shoot and his team wins.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

He didn't really have a good game.

It's just the one day a month his shot fell.

His defense - both on and off ball - was still absolutely atrocious.

His decision making with the ball was still atrocious, and honestly may have even been worse than usual. Twice he was a millimetre away from turning it over because of making a stupid decision and lucked out with his heave dropping. Not to count the jump ball which didn't count as a turnover.

His drive was still a missed shot or turnover.

Even when his shot drops he still isn't a net positive on the court.

It's ironic that Eric Gordon would do wonders for this team.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. Downtown Sniper

jesus christ.

Had to stop after 16 seconds.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's ok, breh not from here. nothing a semester of esl can't fix. he good.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Good thing you don't need to be intelligent to dribble a basketball because from the looks of things, Jalen sounds like would struggle to tie his shoe laces without assistance.

AroundTheWorld and Jontro like this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's sad when you need subtitles more to understand him than a guy from Turkey. How could anyone understand him as a lead PT calling plays and positions?

13. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

James is still a very good player, but I really don't think it is what the team needed. We needed true team ball to get an idea of what the other guys are capable of. Harden here would think its his team, vs. he knows in LA he has to respect Kawhi and PG. When you are convincing guys who did not play defense to buy in, having James be the leader would not be a good way to get people to buy in. I like what I have heard from FVV when he is talking to players, he is teaching vs. Harden would be yelling in anger and deflecting blame. He is desperate for a ring, he would not have the patience to mentor young guys when they make mistakes, Fred has his ring and there is no outside pressure for him to get another one immediately like there is with James. I am obviously a big fan of Houston James Harden, as my handle would indicate, but I am glad w how things worked out. I would definitely like to pair James Harden w FVV instead somehow, and move Jalen to the bench or move on from him all together if he doesn't improve.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Growing under players/coaches is the most overrated thing ever. I actually think it's a myth it even happens. Jalen looks exactly the same under Silas or Ime, in fact the players we thought looked great out of the gate always looked great under Silas or Ime (Sengun and Tari).

I think the NBA is 90% talent and personal development, maybe 10% coaching. this includes basketball IQ. A great coach can elevate team performance by designing systems based on the talent they have. Great coaches typically can elevate role player usefulness, but all star level talent are typically just there no matter who is coaching or who is mentoring.

Harden was an MVP level player under McHale, Bickerstaff or D'Antoni. He was like a 9.5/10 player, and D'Antoni took him to like a 9.8/10.

In fact I can't really think of a single player that really went from mediocre to an all star just from a coaching change.

Jalen Green has been in the league for 2 years, he's either going to figure shet out himself or he's not. No amount of mentoring or coaching is going to significantly change his potential. It's all up to him at this point to find a place in the league because it's been the same song and dance with him since his first preseason game in 2021.

Corrosion and GotGame15 like this.
  15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I wish he’d run the DHO game better and harder. Like get him in PNR, pitch it back to AlP and then cut hard back to him with some split actions. If they truly ran AlP as a hub I think our offense would flow better. But Jalen doesn’t try to cut hard or run the split with any semblance of aggression. There was a play in the first where he had nothing and was running the split at the elbow and just kind of walked. It stalled the action and AlP had to hit FVV with an awkward pass and bailout iso. The play died cause Green wouldn’t commit.

Jontro and Downtown Sniper like this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

There was a play in the first half as well last night where the ball left Green's hands, he turned around and just walked outside of the three point line and away from the play without a care in the world.

It was truly KPJ-level bad.

Sengun as the hub unfortunately won't work as well right now (I want it badly) purely because the team doesn't have the players to exploit the openings Sengun creates.

How much easier would Green's life be if he just went back door every now and then, did exactly what you said with the DHO. He'd get multiple easy buckets a game which could potentially in turn get his confidence up which would open up other parts of his game. Except he is too stupid to understand that or even know how to cut properly.

All those crazy behind the back, no look, flashy passes for uncontested dunks right at the rim have completely disappeared since KMJ left. And it is doing Sengun and the team such a huge disservice not having personnel to play that way.

Jontro likes this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jalen moves off ball like Harden moves off ball, there's really no urgency or sudden burst of movement to get free. It's mostly just going through the motions at a walking pace.

Corrosion and ArtV like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

IMHO the best option he has is to find his niche....and that is the 6th man role.....it is doable but he has to adapt to scoring in a microwave setting.....

He does not have a real go to move or an elite skill (if you discount his quick first step which is more of an innate gift)

Crashlanded19 and apollo33 like this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I get that talent is the number 1 thing. However, I think you underestimate coaching too much.

Sengun wasn't great under Silas. He showed flashes. Green showed flashes too. Sengun wasn't given a chance under Silas to show that he was really our best player. There were still doubt who was the best player last season. Now under Udoka, there is really no doubt. Not to mention that his defense has significantly improved to the point that calling him a defensive liability would sound silly. That has a lot to do with coaching.

Tari is what he is. He's a hustle player. He's not a star. It doesn't matter who the coach is, he plays the same way.

Jabari was terrible under Silas. There was no development you could see in him other than him started to hit shots toward the last part of the season. He is still inconsistent like a lot of sophomores do, but you can see how much more confident he is. And again, his defense has improved a lot comparing this season and last.

Jalen is a weird case on the surface. He not only hasn't improved, his offense has gone worse. However most people would agree that his defense is better. I think those two changes show the fingerprints of coaching. If it's talent, then his offense should not have gone worse. It's gone worse because he has to adjust his game. As Udoka mentioned more than once, Jalen's problem is making reads. Apparently, he was never asked to make reads. The freestyle instinctive way of playing suits him better than a structured system. I agree that if he really has the talent, he will come around eventually. If not, he will be bouncing around the league because most coaches will demand players to fit their systems unless you are "the system" like those rare elite players.

20. corrado

corrado Member