1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don’t see that next level talent but that doesn’t mean he’s going to be a “bust.” The big concern would certainly be him never developing a shot and making himself unplayable to coaches that need spacing from their guards. That is what killed Michael Carter Williams’ career and likely is what will end Ben Simmons’s career. You have to have a perfect supporting roster around you in that case and I just don’t see him being dominant enough for a Gm and coach to say that he’s good enough to build around.

So IMO it’s all about the shooting. If he allows that to be something that teams can exploit he could be another MCW fast or float around the league until he develops years down the line like Shaun Livingston and Garrett Temple… which in that case it’s unlikely the Rockets benefit from. I do think he’ll at least become like one of those two guys as his floor but I’m hoping for much much more.

I think he needs to go down to the G League and shoot shoot shoot. Let it fly and make yourself a competent shooter. I like his game and physical abilities otherwise but those things will never be useful if he’s a liability left unguarded on the perimeter.

Tankeio likes this.
  2. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

He should work on his catch and shoot 3pt shot, not general jump shooting. He's had lots of practice videos where his 3pt shot looks improved but then recently he's had these pull up 16 footers where he goes back to his old form. It's probably because pull up shots are tied to his dribbling footwork and balance, which are harder to change. The catch and shoot gets rid of those complications.

Jason Kidd never became a good mid range jump shooter but he drastically improved his 3pt catch-and-shoot game. Learning that shot would be enough for Amen to keep defenses honest. It's also a skill that many NBA players have been successful at improving, like Brook Lopez.

Y2JT likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Related question - is Scoot Henderson a bust?

I seem to recall some folks - was it the young crowd? - wanted to trade Alpi and the no. 4 pick (and Tari?) to be able to trade up and get him?

4. PatBev

PatBev Member

Amen just needs to get consistent playtime to get his confidence up driving to the basket and playmaking. The shot will come

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Bruh he's still barely even played

beardsanity713 likes this.
  6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Check back in 3 years

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I remember catching quite a bit of heat when I suggested that I wasn't a fan of Henderson due to his absolutely terrible shooting in the G league.....and now he's putting up an amazing 25% from 3 in his rookie season.

All 3 highly athletic guards that the same people lusted over the past several years....Jalen Green, Scoot Henderson, and Jaden Ivey have looked pretty terrible thus far.

It's almost like there's a lesson to be learned here when it comes to hyping up low skill highly athletic players.

8. jgar030283

jgar030283 New Member

I look at this thread and you can probably find the same threads about Jabari around this same time during his rookie year. Amen is going to be great just like Jabari is going to be great. All he needs to be is a serviceable shooter which he’ll become. I feel like our fan base has such PTSD from the last three years that we just need to relax a bit. We’re going to be fine. It’s a long road back from hell. Enjoy the ride.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the difference is that Jabari showed he could shoot the ball in college, so it was really more about him putting things together at the NBA level than showing for the first time that he was capable of playing basketball at a high level against legitimate competition.

I still say we should give Amen time....but he's about to turn 21 and he looks 4 years away. He needs to do A LOT of developing REALLY quickly.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He looks like trash now, but I learned my lesson judging too early with Jabari.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

can green + amen get us cade? good for both parties to be in new situations.

12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This is just a bad thread, he has not played real minutes. He has looked good in summer league when he played, good in pre season then he gets injured and sick and it will be a while before he gets minutes to prove himself. This just sounds like the OP is bitter someone else he liked is an actual bust.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

There's really no playing time for Amen to figure it out at the PG position while we are trying to win. I think you have to put him in a Ausar position of a utility wing so he can confidently defense, rebound and run some fast breaks. His handles are too weak to be trial and error in the NBA as a full time PG.

14. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I think he’s hurt and rusty. He doesn’t look as explosive as he did earlier in the year. He’s noticeably grimacing and walking gingerly in games. Couple that with a loose handle, would love to say it’s rust but that was a concern predraft, he’s had a rough offensive start. I’d reserve judgment on him. He seems to always make the right choice out of PnR and hustled on defense. If he can’t shoot at this point it’s almost better to either not run a PNr and let him get a paint touch solo either as primary or second side creation OR what I think most hyper athletic guards who can’t shoot should do is run an exaggeratedly high PNR and let them get downhill quick.

15. Sonicbun8

Sonicbun8 Member

OP a JG only fan?

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Is he a bust? No, his profile is the same as when he was drafted. He was hurt in training camp and then the beginning of the season.

He is an extremely rare athlete, has an excellent frame and a high natural aptitude as a passer. His problem is that he has been and is a poor perimeter shooter.
    He can already pass, defend and rebound well - but he needs to tighten his handle and shoot better.

Is there bust potential? Yes, but he also has Hall of Fame upside if he learns to shoot and play with confidence.

Deuce, BaselineFade, Deckard and 4 others like this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy who in his 3rd year isn't even shooting at a better FG% than Amen, who has only played 10 games?

18. OpportunityCost

When he does get minutes, I have liked what I've seen but he's deferring too much. I want him to drive to the basket more. He's strong, quick, athletic, has a great handle and has a great work ethic. I wouldn't shoot threes this year if I was him. Stay in the mid-range and work on threes in the off-season.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That would have been crazy - I wanted to trade up to get Scoot but not at the expense of Alpi or Tari. I thought future firsts and the four pick should have been enough….and I agree that as bad as Amen has looked, Scoot has somehow managed to look worse despite having far more refined skills. FWIW, I don’t think either will be a bust unless injuries derail them - but there is something to be said that younger players who are of slight frame or are undersized tend to struggle mightily in the league these days with all the length and strength on the court.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Measure their Bust sizes when they come in....