1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

It wasn’t just the fact that his shot went in. It was more instinctive. When he made quick decisions he was usually rewarded. I’ve always thought he should learn how to rip and go like Jaylen Brown. When he starts getting lackadaisical on the perimeter and trying to dance he messes up. When he decides what to do quickly he usually gets the step or gets to his spot. From that point, getting to his spot and hitting 3s he was fine.
    His layup package still sucks. He has like one move jump as high as he can and try to lay it in. He gets bodied on drives. He has no strength to handle getting bumped off his line. His PNR game is so weak. He’s taking a middie or a pocket pass or jumping into his defender. That’s it. That’s all he’ll do.

Roomba likes this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're on to something here. Jaylen Brown, while stronger than Jalen, also doesn't have the tightest of handles--but he's a heck of a scorer and has improved year by year.

I think Jalen already has a stronger left hand than Jaylen, but he's just not strong enough, a good enough ball-handler or a good enough shooter to take advantage of his physical gifts. I'm hoping he can work on that throughout the season (and his career). But for now, he's got to simplify his game.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he has to play the lanky, skinny, slippery eel.........but shooting has to be there.....

6'4-6'5 is not really a great height advantage nowadays either for that position.

It is an embarrasing position to be in......he is just faster than 98% of players without the tools to harness it.

#1063 daywalker02, Dec 29, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    Roomba likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Interesting:

I said it would take Jalen 30 games to adjust to the new system.

So he put up 30+ points in game 30 of the season on the 30th of December.

Too bad we didn't get the W but we were missing two ace defenders and we couldn't get enough stops.

Hopefully a sign of things trending upward though. Most important thing is to produce a string of good, well-rounded games.

#1064 Mathloom, Dec 30, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  5. Dredd

Dredd Member

Jalen played like Kobe last night. Is Jalen now the best Rockets guard since Randy Livingston?

[​IMG]

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So, it looks like Green needs a lot of touches to get going and while that is good for him it is not good for winning, he will either need to find a way to heat up with fewer touches, or we should move on.

DD

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I actually expected more of an effort in discounting a great game. This was lackluster at best, reminded me a bit of KPJ at the point.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

31 points on 12/19

Uh...

How many shots do you think 25, 30ppg type scorers take?

(This is an open book test.)

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

the offense was much better with the higher pace of play and running in transition more.

the defense was much worse because it wasn't the grit and grind pace we have come accustomed to. (plus maxey just outrunning tate on every possession)

i would like to see Jalen and the bench when hes playing with the bench to run much more. I like the starters to be slow, because it matches fvv and senguns style much more. but i think it would benefit our woeful offense to play with more pace with the bench squad led by Jalen.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

W = 23rd letter ... 23 = Jordan ... Jalen (21st century) = Jordan (20th century)... J + J = DYNAMITE.

Gematria.

plegus likes this.
  11. Ancient Moabite

They were missing Bari and Brooks which would result in more touches for the starters and bench players naturally

I Am shocked Green didn't take more shots, you should move on from him for not being aggressive enough down two key starters

In games where he is leading scorer their record is like 6-3 which is small sample but still winning record

They didn't play good enough team d to win, it sure wasn't from Green over touching the ball, unless it resulted in a turnover, which is the same for any player

12. DaDakota

I thought he had a good game - overall - and he clearly warms up with more touches - he had the ball a lot more often last night.

As for discounting - I don't hate the guy, just comment on how he is playing.....would love it for him to be better - just think his overall lack of BBall IQ and fundamentals means he is a long way from being a good consistent NBA player, and I think Cam is better.

DD

13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nah, it just doesn't fly mate. Your post history shows literally nothing but kneejerk reactions and a ridiculous number of inane narratives that boil down to "I picked KPJ, so I will bang on about Green until I get my I told you so moment." It's getting kind of tragic, especially when your idol screwed his shot at glory so badly that I can't even recall a supposed "talented prospect" who ****ed it up worse.

14. DaDakota

I told ya so moment? Yeah, pass.....I don't give a **** about receipts.....as a Rox fan I just want the team to win.

KPJ screwed himself and this team, he was/is the better player - but he is gone, hopefully Cam comes along as I clearly don't believe Green is it.

You have read it wrong sir, I call !

DD

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This definitely may end up being part of the equation. His entire game elevates when he has the ball in his hand and a few extra shots. But I don’t know me personally for the long-term I would rather that those shots be going to amen and Cam.

that being said, Jalem played very well Across-the-board last night. Credit where credit is due, but I really really need to see eight out of the next 10 games played at a similar level.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. If Jalen needs 19 shots to score 31 points a game, then give him 19 shots per game. You don't get a that kind of efficient scoring often from any player.

But I don't think that's what it is. It's the other way around. He didn't play well because he shot a lot. He shot a lot because he was playing well. For one, he got benched when he wasn't playing well, so naturally he didn't have that many chances to shoot in those crappy games. For two, more importantly, he shot less when he knew he wasn't in the groove. It's a mental/confidence thing. And it's wildly inconsistent. I am praying that in the near future we can point to these two games and say, "That's when he turned it around." But I'm not having a lot of faith for now. He had these moments in the past two seasons only to make us disappointed again.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You have to earn the ability to shoot your way out of poor starts and Green isn’t there. Unfortunately you can more often than not tell what kind of Green you’re going to get by about mid way through the first. His confidence gets shook a lot faster this year. Probably because he knows the leash is short. I don’t think he lacks basketball IQ, he’s just second guessing everything he’s doing at this point.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I don't really see how that bolded part is true.

His second half was much better because he had the ball in his hands requiring decision-making - less.

His first half - even with hitting shots - was still subpar because how many times did he turn it over as well as coming within a millimetre of several other turnovers the first instance semi-pressure is applied to him when he's dribbling the ball.

More ball in Green's hand is not going to be a positive.

It's different if it's more Green gets the ball and all he needs to do is shoot straight away - i can see how that will be better for him - they're seemingly the only shots of his that go in. The ones when he doesn't need to think about a single thing except shooting it (like how his last second heaves seemingly have a higher success rate this his regular in game 3s).

More ball in his hands brings his near non-existent IQ to the forefront more frequently, which again is not going to be a positive to the Rockets. Imagine if when Sengun had perfect position in the first half down low having sealed his man close to the key, Green simply passed him the ball from the perimeter. Instead, Green ignored Sengun, dribbled right next to Sengun in the post and forced Sengun to move out towards the perimeter, only then did Green eventually pass him the ball after realising he got himself into a position he can't do anything with, and resulting in Sengun trying to beat a small man off the dribble - resulting in the offensive foul on Oubre and his 3rd of the first half.

Take that one foul out - you now have Sengun in at the end of the game making that play instead of Landale.

I'm wholeheartedly against Jalen having more ball in his hands and being asked to make decisions with it.

I'm wholeheartedly for Jalen getting the ball and shooting.

19. wolstein

wolstein Member

I wish he would stop doing his silly dance routine before the start of each game. It goes on my nerves much more than his poor shooting form or loose handles. Let's start with little things.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I dunno why we are talking about his sexuality or gender orientation ..... neither have a damn thing to do with playing basketball.

I think we've all done worse things than "paint our fingernails" ....

Lets b!tch about how he can't shoot but once every 7th game.

Melik likes this.